To Trace or Not to Trace

New Englander

You can "run and gun" while still following the methods. Thats a crutch used far too often. Sure there are some who just don't care about following the methods but I've also seen "slower" drivers who are just as bad in regards to the methods.

If you want to work at a faster pace then your fellow coworker. It's your choice.

yes it was written by mangt. but also that i have worked for ups since 96. been through the strike, lost out on money for school because greedy full time drivers wanted more money and did not care about the preloaders. had to sit and watch people get promoted that should not have been only because they had more senority than me. you want the job you do what needs to be done. if skipping your lunch gets you a 28 dollar/hour job then heck ya i am gonna do it. but dont forget that all the time that you drivers spend pre sheeting your car is not part of the methods. if you do that you do that on your time. also if you are a bonus center. if you skip your lunch you typically get it back in bonus. everyone always complains that they hate there job so much....but.......you are still working here....right. that just says that 1 there is atleast something you like about this job...or 2 you are just to lazy to look for another job...which means you have no drive and that since you are lazy you dont want to leave a job that has a union to protect lazy workers. which in turn gives us sups a bad name because we cant get rid of the lazy workers... which is why we end up rewarding good work with more work

i am out
If you really think the drivers were all about more money, you are listening to the wrong people. The strike was more over the pension being given to the company (yes just as it is now) and few drivers felt that was a good choice. The pension is about the future not today,And guess what, the pension is for preloaders too.
The lose of education money was about public stock, not the contract nor the strike.
There is something the drives like about their jobs, it's called a fair days pay for a fair days work, and most of the complaining on this forum is because the "fair days work" has morphed into a "fair day and a half work, for a fair days pay". Add to that the inconsistencies coming from the company and you have poor driver morale and bitching. Add to that preloaders that the bulk of their training consists of "Just get it in the right truck, if it's on the right shelf even better". We have PT sups "leading" preloaders that have no idea how to actually load a truck themselves, much less know how to train anyone. Id it any wonder why drivers are unhappy?
Granted ,there are many drivers on here that have good attitudes. Some because they happen to work in a center that has a good over all management team, some in spite of having a poor team.
Before you start accusing any drivers of being lazy, maybe you should follow one around for a day, if you make though the day then you might have a right to comment on their work ethics.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Before you start accusing any drivers of being lazy, maybe you should follow one around for a day, if you make though the day then you might have a right to comment on their work ethics.
Make it through a day? Naaa, try making it through 6 months and then I might allow him to comment on my work ethics. One day does not make an expert, or for that matter, neither does 6 months. I've been doing it for 2 yrs and I am still learning new things.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This was written by management? My god is this company going down the tubes!

They are trying to save money by not installing "Spell Check 2000" on the office computers. As far as the poor grammar and punctuation, I blame our public school systems.

As far as the lazy driver comment, I would like to personally invite Clueless to come up to Plattsburgh this peak and be my helper. He wouldn't last 2 hours.

New Englander

Most helpers have absolutely no idea what they are getting into watching the UPS driver sit and drive on the rural type routes while they are running :)

BrownSuit

lost out on money for school

You should probably look into going back.

I got the impression that the individual is NOT in management, but a PT sup who is somewhat envious of the drivers and the pay. Sounds like he got skipped over a few times because he was never able to finish school.

Speaking of Laziness, there is this thing called spell check and completely writing out all of your words.

Those people who had seniority, did it ever occur to you that they might appreciate the work that the drivers do and get a clue about the big picture? The drivers walked out on Strike in '97, everything came to a screeching halt, despite Management's attempts to continue some service.

Once the drivers came back, it took almost 30 days for every package in the system to get moving again. Was that laziness or does it go to prove the importance of every part of the UPS Machine?

Look in a mirror yourself and ask why you are working for Uncle Brown.

browniehound

I don't know where to begin with his post, so I'll just start, lol!

First, you cannot work at UPS and be a lazy person. There might be some positions where laziness is tolerated, but these are few and far between. If you work in operations in any capacity then you are far from the average person's definition of lazy.

I know about 100 drivers. Out of this group, I know 2 drivers with whom I would classify as lazy. They simply don't get it and don't pull their own weight. The other 98% work harder than 99.9% of America.

Second, I could justifiably call you lazy for not proofreading your post and correcting all the spelling and gramatical errors in it. I don't expect you to be perfect, but your post is full of mistakes that could be fixed with a simple click (spell check) of the mouse. To me, that is being lazy.

Lastly, I'm sorry the negotiations didn't go your way in regards to college financial aid, but frankly I don't care. You make up a small percentage of the UPS workforce. Apparently you were counting on help from UPS in the last contract. When you are done thinking about yourself, think about the 80,000 American drivers who are counting on UPS to provide something (anything maybe???) at retirement after decades of service.

I'm sorry, but you have other avenues to pursue to get money for college. These include work, loans, government aid, scholarships, savings, parents and grandparents. The older UPS employee has little alternatives if he didn't save starting in 1980. He is counting on that pension. He's maxing out the 401k now but its not going to be enough unless he's in his 20's. Social Security is another doubtful leg to stand on.

So, as a part-time employee do you think our full-time employees who worked over 3 decades at UPS should be considered first in the allocation of funds so that they don't have to eat a can of dog-food for lunch to make ends meet? Or Should the money be directed at people like yourself who will use it to take liberal-arts courses at the state university(maintaning a 2.1 GPA:sick:) for 2 years while you try to "decide" what you will major in?

Tell me you want to be a dentist, doctor, scientist, etc and have a 4.0 as an undergraduate at a state U. If you need funds to pay for graduate school at a big time private college that you have already been accepted to, then I would like to see UPS throw money in this direction and to employees children at the detriment of my retirement.