To UPS Customers Reading This Site -

City Driver

i got one for the ups freight shippers reading this site

thank you for choosing to band your skid with that cheap plastic banding....your customers have no idea you use this stuff, because it always breaks off or falls off the skid and becomes nice trailer/dock confetti.....gets itself wedged under pallets or gets tangled up in the pallet jack wheels

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
i got one for the ups freight shippers reading this site

thank you for choosing to band your skid with that cheap plastic banding....your customers have no idea you use this stuff, because it always breaks off or falls off the skid and becomes nice trailer/dock confetti.....gets itself wedged under pallets or gets tangled up in the pallet jack wheels
The same thing applies to pkg as well. Our trucks are constantly littered with those. :dissapointed:

City Driver

i wouldnt know......

i didnt think UPS ever used skids or pallet jacks or forklifts..

i thought all boxes were loaded straight onto the trailer, and unloaded by hand onto a conveyor belt

i wouldnt know......

i thought all boxes were loaded straight onto the trailer, and unloaded by hand onto a conveyor belt
The banding you are talking about is probably the same as what our shippers use to band multiple packages together, that rarely stay together. One or more of the bands gets loose and ends up in the package car. Great tripping device.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
i wouldnt know......

In feeder, we often pick up from customers who load our trailers with their packages on pallets. At the hub, the loaded pallets are then broken down, inside the trailer, during the unloading process. Usually, conveyors extend into the trailer to retrieve the packages. Sometimes rollers are used.

The empty pallets are left in the trailer, along with any shrink wrap, bands, or tape the customer might have used to secure the packages to the pallet.

The next time the trailer is used, it is swept and the pallets are stacked in the front (or removed) by the next feeder driver to use the trailer. Some of the trailers are also cleaned by car washers.

UPSNewbie

In feeder, we often pick up from customers who load our trailers with their packages on pallets. At the hub, the loaded pallets are then broken down, inside the trailer, during the unloading process. Usually, conveyors extend into the trailer to retrieve the packages. Sometimes rollers are used.

The empty pallets are left in the trailer, along with any shrink wrap, bands, or tape the customer might have used to secure the packages to the pallet.

The next time the trailer is used, it is swept and the pallets are stacked in the front (or removed) by the next feeder driver to use the trailer. Some of the trailers are also cleaned by car washers.

Ha. Funny story. I was unloading, and there were two pallets leaned up against the nose of the trailer when I got finished. I thought that your scenario is why they were there. The trailer then got pulled, and I got trailer. I got halfway through it when I get this bitching from this power-tripped sup. There was actually address labels stuck to the pallets--which were for the pallets... Someone shipped pallets... Does this normally happen? Shipping prices must have been high, when they could go to any warehouse around here and ask if they have any extras... :knockedout:

P

pickup

There's no worse feeling when you walk back there , hoping that it is empty, hoping maybe it has two pallets at most, and when you look, the front to the back is lined with these pallets and all the shrink wrap. UGGGh. I carry a razor blade knife with me to cut the shink wrap. Nothing more annoying carrying a skid and the shrink wrap attached to the skid starts dragging other skids.

This can take up a lot of time. What I like to do is If I am going to a pickup that uses skids Half will get thrown out onto the dock and the other half will go into the front and then the customer will just take out the stack and be happy that he got 12 free pallets.

I get offered money sometimes for the skids, but refuse it. Creates good will, keeps me out of trouble by not taking the money and it is a win, win for everyone

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
There's no worse feeling when you walk back there , hoping that it is empty, hoping maybe it has two pallets at most, and when you look, the front to the back is lined with these pallets and all the shrink wrap. UGGGh. I carry a razor blade knife with me to cut the shink wrap. Nothing more annoying carrying a skid and the shrink wrap attached to the skid starts dragging other skids.

This can take up a lot of time. What I like to do is If I am going to a pickup that uses skids Half will get thrown out onto the dock and the other half will go into the front and then the customer will just take out the stack and be happy that he got 12 free pallets.

I get offered money sometimes for the skids, but refuse it. Creates good will, keeps me out of trouble by not taking the money and it is a win, win for everyone

I'll have to say, sweeping trailers and stacking pallets (physical labor, ugh!) has to be my least favorite activities of the job. That and shifting (Too hot! Too cold! And sometimes, too dirty!).

Hehe, boy have I become spoiled :happy-very:.

P

pickup

I'll have to say, sweeping trailers and stacking pallets (physical labor, ugh!) has to be my least favorite activities of the job. That and shifting (Too hot! Too cold! And sometimes, too dirty!).

Hehe, boy have I become spoiled :happy-very:.

shifting sucks, mostly because the equipment sucks. No workable defrost in many, gotta keep the windows and the backdoor open sometimes to keep the windows defogged.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
True, and whats up with not having air conditioning? A fan just does not cut it. And driving at a max speed of 15 mph does not lend to great air flow.

And when you leave the back door open on some of those slugs the exhaust fumes you breath can make you sick :sick:.

P

pickup

True, and whats up with not having air conditioning? A fan just does not cut it. And driving at a max speed of 15 mph does not lend to great air flow.

And when you leave the back door open on some of those slugs the exhaust fumes you breath can make you sick :sick:.

yeah! the last time I saw a fan like that was in the school bus that picked me up when i went to elementary school.

and ain't that the truth about the fumes