Today I am Retired from UPS for one year. 2nd best year of my life!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I can't stop gaining weight. Some drivers just don't want to leave the paycheck. Of course we have the drivers who wanna collect a bunch of checks (triple dipping) Knock yourselves out!!
I thought i would miss the big paychecks but i don't in the least. we were always a little frugal and lived beneath our means so the change from big paychecks to one monthly pension check did not affect us.

that was a pleasant surprise.

twoweeled

Been 9 years now and I feel the same way. Can't imagine how I put up with it. Leaving the house at 7 in the morning and getting
home at 10 at night. How did I do that?
LOL, well that was exactly my life for a long time. Money was good, but it wasn't living.

twoweeled

The break even point between taking it at 62 vs waiting is about 78. How long do you think you will live?

If you wait your social security increases 8% a year which would be difficult to beat if you invested it yourself.
I've heard the numbers before, but forget what they are. Are you saying; between 70 and 78 (8 years), you'll recoup what you've lost between 62 and 70, by waiting?

twoweeled

The break even point between taking it at 62 vs waiting is about 78. How long do you think you will live?

If you wait your social security increases 8% a year which would be difficult to beat if you invested it yourself.
The 8% is good raise on SS, but is not the same as an 8% return on investment. You only get that return on SS, starting when you start to collect SS. The 8% on investment is all the time to the (hypothetical age) 70, and after. That's difficult to explain. If I explained it, great. If I didn't, oh well. LOL!

oldngray

nowhere special
I've heard the numbers before, but forget what they are. Are you saying; between 70 and 78 (8 years), you'll recoup what you've lost between 62 and 70, by waiting?

Those numbers are the difference between retiring at 62 vs waiting until normal retirement age (around 66 but depends on when you were born). You can wait until 70 and get a little more but the break even point would be later.

The theoretical break even point is only an estimate. I have seen other estimates where the break even point is in the 80's. None I saw were younger than 78 though.

twoweeled

I don't feel the need for a tax attorney as my tax situation is fairly basic.

I have been with EW for the past several years. We have had preliminary discussions regarding SS but will have more when the time comes, which will include going after a portion of my ex's benefits.
I have been happy to pay $450 to a CPA. Tax consequences on stock sales, wash sales and such, rental questions and larger purchase considerations have seemed more than worth the aprox $450 "once a year" I pay. I always have a couple of questions throughout the year. But I avoided investment advisers.

twoweeled

For example...you can have 1500 a month at 62 or 3000 a month at 65........You get wiped out by a drunk driver when you are 64...... You get nothin' if you were waiting.

Always take the money when you can.......you could lose out of getting anything and you paid into it. That's the magic answer. Besides when you make it to 80.......won't your expenses be less too (medical not included)
If I make it 80, i'm trying to hook up with a cute little 35 year old to take care of me. Hopefully she drives good, and has a good paying job too!!
man-praying.jpg

twoweeled

I thought i would miss the big paychecks but i don't in the least. we were always a little frugal and lived beneath our means so the change from big paychecks to one monthly pension check did not affect us.

that was a pleasant surprise.
Same here. I was one of those 12-13.5 hour guys. At that time I was living for tomorrow. Now with the pension. I really haven't had to change anything in my standard of living. But I was banking 25% into 401 and another 10% after tax - and I was still saving a bit more. So when I stopped all my contributions, it wasn't as drastic a change, as I had feared. Same as you, It really hasn't affected me. Trying to explain to the wife, to continue as we are, because inflation can have a shocking surprise later. Wife sees the money sitting there, and it's like; hey! Let's go spend it!!! crap!