Today was my 30th day

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by homey d. clown, Jul 21, 2015.

1. homey d. clown

homey d. clown New Member

I'm a package handler in the southern region. What do I need to do in order to join the union? Thanks

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. Pay the inetion fee.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Are you in a closed shop or RTW state?

4. homey d. clown

5. browner89

browner89 Active Member

30th working day or 30th day since you were hired? You need to work 30 in 90 (per most supplements, some are different) and have you paid your ~$100 in initiation fees? You'll receive your receipts for due payments and a union card in your mail once you're eligible.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

Find out who your steward is and tell him you would like to (sell your soul) join the union.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. homey d. clown

Thanks. Oh, also, I work preload and am making $10.10. I assume I need to email HR to get my extra $0.90 an hour?

8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

RTW? You could sponge.

9. homey d. clown

Yeah, but I would prefer not to be one of those people. I think everyone should be required to join the union.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  10. browner89

browner89 Active Member

What do you do on preload? Unload or loading PCs? If you're doing unload then you probably won't get the extra $, and I may be mistaken, but for some even loading PC's has been de-skilled.

11. homey d. clown

I load the PCs.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

Do you think you should have to know how to load 'em in order to deliver 'em?

13. browner89

browner89 Active Member

I'm not driving yet but I do know more than a few drivers in my center and I can tell you that from their opinions of the preloaders here it wouldn't matter if you came straight from flipping burgers or not.

With how they talk down on their loaders you'd think that the opposite would be the requirement, you should be forced to deliver them before you're allowed to load a PC.

Unfortunately the thing about preload is that it seems in order to have some respect for your work you need to know how it affects the driver, UPS doesn't bother to show them how it hurts the drivers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. homey d. clown

I'd like to think I'm an average loader. Not great, not terrible. I do the best that I can with what they throw at me.

15. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I don't think you should be required. But you also shouldn't get all of the benefits if you don't join.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Number24

Number24 #24

make your 30 days // pay off your initiation fee.

17. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

I'm in a RTW state. No initiation fee where I am. Ask your shop steward for a membership card. You fill it, sign it, he/she submits it and dues start coming out within a few weeks.

How much comes out per week depends on your hourly rate. Should be $5/week at yours. You can deduct dues on your tax return.

18. UpstateNYUPSer

Very few PTers itemize.

19. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

walk into the union hall and do this.......

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. homey d. clown

I save that for the sup.