Today was my first official day at UPS

mr_bennet

I'm a P/T package Handler and I am a loader. They told me my truck recieves about 520 packages and I only scanned 364 packages and 12 bags in 3h and 35m. Is that bad? I hope I get better as the days go on.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I'm a P/T package Handler and I am a loader. They told me my truck recieves about 520 packages and I only scanned 364 packages and 12 bags in 3h and 35m. Is that bad? I hope I get better as the days go on.

You'll get better. The idea is to pace yourself, work hard but don't kill yourself. Hopefully you make 30 work days, then they'll throw you to the wolves so to speak.

I loaded for awhile, around 1400 scans/loaded in 3 to 3.5 hours. And alot of guys in our building do more than that, so expect to do 2-4 times what you're doing now.

browniehound

I too, started as a loader. Don't worry about your speed at first, it will come with practice. Take your time and don't misload any packages. Your misloads will cost the company much more than your loading speed.

Think like the customer. What do you think would happen if you are in the Grandview, CA feeder and you load a package destined for Nashua, NH into it? It would be more than 2 weeks before you recieved your package.

Why does UPS puts the NH and CA feeders so close together? I don't know, but they do!

Pollocknbrown

LOL @ brownie...we do the same thing in buffalo, on PD 6, worma and NBACA (north bay, or hi cal as some say) are right next door to each other(on the twi atleast, on the nite, WORMA, MEANJ, and TOLOH are all right next to each other on 7) its fun seeing all the missorts being thrown from the trucks. doesnt help when half the sorters refuse to actually read the zip code and send the upper peninsula of michigan TO TOLEDO AND NOT OAK CREEK, WI jesus christ. lol i've learned to read all the labels b/c i always get put on the PFs on the twi so i get returns all the time and i hate resorting something, altho it got fun for 3 days i sorted the same box to the same belt (was sorted correctly, just had to read a label that was hard to read) until after the sort one day walked it to PD7 pointed out the destination to the picker after the sort and threw it in the truck.

dillweed

mr_bennet - Welcome to BC and the world of UPS!

At this point you must feel overwhelmed but every single new employee feels the same way.

Don't worry just yet about the numbers they squawk about, just do the best you can, keep moving and strive for accuracy. Take direction from your sup as best you can but also sneak a peek at your co-workers to see what they are doing to keep up. There are many tricks to the trade that you'll learn in time. A biggie, believe it or not, is how to handle pkgs. Seems stupid simple but it takes time to learn just how to flip those babies quickly, anticipate where the label might be and which ones are going to bust out in the bottom. Getting the feel of pkg handling in itself will increase your speed a great deal but it takes time.

You'll be just fine, don't kick yourself in the butt - that's management's job and they are good at it :happy-very: Be sure to come back and let us know how you're doing and to ask specific questions. We'll let you know pretty much what's real and what's BS.