Told I needed to call Saturday morning to see if they needed my to work.

UPSGUY72

With the bad weather the last couple of weeks are Air Drivers have been working alot of OT delivering ground packages which they are loving making FT driver pay. However they are running into HOS problems. So yesterday they put a list up for FT Drivers to sign if they wanted to work SAT hours worked. There where 5 drivers out of 60 that signed it me NOT being one of them.

Today I get a phone call from one of my SUP's at about 4 telling me that I need to call tomorrow morning to see if they need me to work. Trying to tell me that since not enough people signed the list they have to force from the bottom up. I hope he isn't waiting for my call tomorrow becasue I'm not calling and my cell phone will be off.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Around here they have to tell you the day before if you're required to work or not, they can't just call you on a Saturday morning and tell you that you have to come in.

UPSGUY72

You could always quit.

You could get a life remembe your thread.

No brakes = just drive slow
I heard this story second hand, but somehow I believe it.

Our division manager was at our center a few weeks ago when one of the drivers called in to report that his brakes were not working. The supervisor told him to stay put and they would be out to help him. The district manager actually suggested that he finish up himself but "just drive slow."​

I would call in and if they need you and you can't come in then take yourself out of service. They are doing this in my area too. It might be annoying but at 45+ bucks an hour there are alot of people that would love to have your problems. Don't get me wrong it's a pain in the ass but it's once in a blue moon.

UPSGUY72

I would call in and if they need you and you can't come in then take yourself out of service. They are doing this in my area too. It might be annoying but at 45+ bucks an hour there are alot of people that would love to have your problems. Don't get me wrong it's a pain in the ass but it's once in a blue moon.

I hear what your saying. It would be nice if I didn't have to drive 1 hour to work and back. Also the fact that I have only seen my kids for about 2 hours all week.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Staffing is so tight at my building right now that they have denied all personal requests for next week. Which means that that everyone who put in for a personal will be getting paid time and a half for the entire day that they requested.

tourists24

Staffing is so tight at my building right now that they have denied all personal requests for next week. Which means that that everyone who put in for a personal will be getting paid time and a half for the entire day that they requested.

Just the opposite here.... we have about 15 drivers on layoff... which leads to those issues for those guys to get their hours

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It should be double time. Paid for the day off and paid for the hours worked. If they go into over time it should be double time and a half.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It should be double time. Paid for the day off and paid for the hours worked. If they go into over time it should be double time and a half.
That would be nice, but under our supplement it's time and a half for all hours worked. You get to keep your personal though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What has yet to be mentioned is that today (Saturday) will be an extremely heavy air day due to Valentine's Day being Monday. I agree that not knowing whether you will be working or not is a pain but I am sure your center is waiting to see just how heavy the air will be so they can figure out how many drivers they will need.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That last time had to work a Saturday Valentines(I had a broken foot and still worked because of center manager begging), I was on the belt at the airport next to the Ithaca driver. Everyone else on the belt was watching and laughing at us(no help, either, until Nancy finally came over) as we basically had every package(it seemed) coming at us. He ended up with 258 pieces, and I had 279. Saturday's usually run about 40 pieces. ( This doesn't count the flowers that came in on Friday. Fort Drum had 150 stops of flowers, alone. 2 trucks go there and got no help.) We only had 4 drivers at the building Sat. I can't remember how many flowers had to be delivered on Monday because all the drivers ran out of hours on Sat. They were out til 10pm. The center manager had a new cushion on his chair by lunch time Monday cuz his butt had been beat so bad for not staffiing correctly and ruining some people's Valentines.
Proflowers had to refund a lot of money and so did UPS.

I bet today will be different, and Monday.