Told to sign a sheet titled "mandatory attendance"

Last night my part time supervisor told all his employees they had to sign a sheet that told us the start time for today (Good Friday) was 4:30 and attendance was mandatory. We were also told if we didn't sign it our jobs were on the line. I can't believe they try this stuff. What does the contract say about this? Certainly we can't be penalized for taking a religious holiday.

T

Turdferguson

As long as your attendance is fine they can't say anything, but if its not they can and will say something about it

UPSmechanicinblue

ARTICLE 6. Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document nor the contents thereof be divulged to any person or entity. In addition, the Company will not discipline an employee for refusing to sign any Company form related to the principle of a fair day’s work unless the signing is required by law or by this Agreement.

UPSmechanicinblue

If your in the Central region?
Section 4 A full-time seniority employee’s uniform starting time must be scheduled and posted by the end of the shift of their last scheduled work day of the preceding workweek for the following workweek. In areas where the Union and the Employer agree, the start time shall be uniform except where the Employer is able to schedule an earlier start time for the package driver employees on Mondays or days after holidays, when merchandise is available for dispatch. If the Employer switches an employee’s workweek from Monday through Friday, to Tuesday through Saturday, he/she shall be allowed to exercise his/her seniority. Part-time employee’s start times must be posted by the end of the shift of their last scheduled workday of the preceding work week.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last night my part time supervisor told all his employees they had to sign a sheet that told us the start time for today (Good Friday) was 4:30 and attendance was mandatory. We were also told if we didn't sign it our jobs were on the line. I can't believe they try this stuff. What does the contract say about this? Certainly we can't be penalized for taking a religious holiday.

The religious holiday has been on the calendar the whole year so if you wanted to take it off you should have put in your request. Calling in just screws your co-workers.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Article 6

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
What a LOAD of tripe...
Why?

I had this discussion with another driver when he called to brag that he followed Orion 100% an now needed a meet but was waiting till the last second to call for one.

I asked him why he was waiting and he replied to screw mangement.

I then told him he wasn't screwing management by waiting that he was screwing another driver.

"No this will show management that they can't do this to me."

"By making another driver with a full day get screwed to do your meet? Maybe there is a guy who is a little lite that could get your stuff and still get in that'll be gone by the time you call the meet. You made your point by following Orion 100% now don't screw another driver."

"It'll screw management"

"No it won't. That sup is gonna msg driver x to meet you and then go home on time while driver x has to stay out later to meet you"

Mgmt doesn't get screwed by call outs. Other hourlies do.

It's your right to call out whenever you want but doing it solely to screw mgmt is wrong and ineffective

nstpaul55106

Why?

I had this discussion with another driver when he called to brag that he followed Orion 100% an now needed a meet but was waiting till the last second to call for one.

I then told him he wasn't screwing management by waiting that he was screwing another driver.

"By making another driver with a full day get screwed to do your meet? Maybe there is a guy who is a little lite that could get your stuff and still get in that'll be gone by the time you call the meet. You made your point by following Orion 100% now don't screw another driver."

"It'll screw management"

"No it won't. That sup is gonna msg driver x to meet you and then go home on time while driver x has to stay out later to meet you"

It's your right to call out whenever you want but doing it solely to screw mgmt is wrong and ineffective

nstpaul55106

Why?

"It'll screw management"

I also see drivers NOT ask for help and they are out until 8:30. You can screw the pooch from both ends.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
If you have seniority then refuse to sign. You guys have to stop being so damn scared of management.

OPTION3

Why?

"It'll screw management"

Keep solving managements problems.....They LOVE employees like you......How is it MY or ANY drivers responsibility to be manned correctly......Using UPS’s own BS Jargon......Expect the unexpected. Before you give some crazy line like “It screws other drivers”...THINK....Management understaffs (fails to plan for call ins) and that’s my problem HOW?.......Management GIVES me an 8 hour day ,but loads me with 10.5....hows that MY problem? If I have to come help you....FOR WHATEVER REASON...I hold management responsible for that. If It screws the company over so bad when I call In......I’m not making what I’m worth.....too Bad so SAD

OPTION3

I didn't say don't ask for help, I told him to ask for it the second he knew he needed it.
In the center I used to work in....It’s mandatory to call in for “help” by 13.00......The people helping don’t get the message to help until they are finished.......sooooooo... that’s the driver who ask’s for helps’ /driver who is sent to help fault??

Last edited:

OPTION3

So ...you consider staying out late and making over $40 an hour getting SCREWED?........Maybe you should go into management according to you they get off early anyway

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In the center I used to work in....It’s mandatory to call in for “help” by 13.00......The people helping don’t get the message to help until they are finished.......sooooooo... that’s the driver who ask’s for helps’ /driver who is sent to help fault??

That always made me laugh. How can I know at 1 PM how screwed I am?