Tom

UPSSOCKS

I love how in everyone of the threads I am involved in I get "I wish you were in my building." If I was in your building nothing would be different. I would be the same guy and you would be just another union employee. Another union employee that has to follow my instructions. Another union employee scared to file grievances, another union employee that sucks up to me everyday, another union employee that has no control over anything, but might think they do.

22.34life

I have this employee that is hardcore union, let's call him Tom. He's the first one to ask who is watching the sups work and if he catches someone working he is sure to let everyone know. He is also the guy that says, "Hey Jimmy I would file on that." He annoys me and I have my crew of 19 year olds give him a hard to time because, honestly I just don't like him. Anyhow we had our grievance meetings and after the crooked stewards dropped all the girevances for their own personal gain, I began to insert the dropped grievances in the grievance book. I started thinking, I have never heard a grievance that Tom filed. I looked back almost fours years, not one. So the next day Tom is doing his usual walk around before the sort and naturally I am precharging the inbound (Sups unloading trailers). Tom says "Hey what do you guys think you are doing"
I appeared out of the shadows and said
"what does it look like they are doing?" Tom replied I'm going to file, I had a grievance form handy and gave it to him and said go ahead. Now Tom dashed to the nearest union gathering point to get a witness, but by the time he got back the sups were already done. I thought this would be an interesting story for on here because I think alot of you are like Tom, You may talk on here like you file, but in reality you don't.....

no love,
UPSSOCKS
When you appeared out of the shadows was it like batman in the movies,what a corney line man.

Raw

Raw Member
:devil3:
I love how in everyone of the threads I am involved in I get "I wish you were in my building." If I was in your building nothing would be different. I would be the same guy and you would be just another union employee. Another union employee that has to follow my instructions. Another union employee scared to file grievances, another union employee that sucks up to me everyday, another union employee that has no control over anything, but might think they do.

Hey! I think you are in my building! :devil3:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I filed 14 grievances in 4 days this week. Maybe your right SOCKS, I'm getting a little soft, I'll shoot for 20 next week!

Brown_Eyed_Girl

I am not scared to file a grievance, I just don't believe in them. On occasion, when the regular driver couldn't make a pick-up for some reason, have picked up over 70 pieces of ground because no one else was available. I view it as teamwork.

Someone may call it losing out on a lot of money, but I call it job experience and customer satisfaction.

over9five

Staff member
Brown eyed Girl, that's insane. They're taking advantage of you because they know you won't ask for the pay you're entitled to! No-ones going to hate you, or retaliate. Pick up the grounds definitely, but take the money UPS has agreed to pay you for doing it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I am not scared to file a grievance, I just don't believe in them. On occasion, when the regular driver couldn't make a pick-up for some reason, have picked up over 70 pieces of ground because no one else was available. I view it as teamwork.

Someone may call it losing out on a lot of money, but I call it job experience and customer satisfaction.
If you really think no one else was available to pick up those ground pieces, I've got some beachfront property to sell you. And I don't call it "losing out on a lot of money", I call it stealing from the driver who would have been paid top rate to pick up those pieces if you weren't so willing to be management's useful idiot. Teamwork? Do you really think they view you as a team mate? They see you they same way they see all of us, as a tool to do the job. You just happen to be the cheapest tool in the box.
Do yourself a favor and print out the posts you've been making and save them. A few years from now (assuming you're still with UPS), when the light finally clicks on in your head, you can go back and read them as a reminder of what a fool you were.

Brown_Eyed_Girl

Over, I am not afraid of them and thank you for your concern. The only reason I mentioned blackballed was because of the fact that they know that on occasion, they can count on me. If I pop up out of the blue and start fussing about picking ground up, then yes I would be labeled. I do not feel at all that I am being used and if I did, would talk to them.

I am compensated by knowing my co-workers and supes are appreciative of the hard work I put in. (Now everyone say awwwww)

tieguy

Banned
If you really think no one else was available to pick up those ground pieces, I've got some beachfront property to sell you. And I don't call it "losing out on a lot of money", I call it stealing from the driver who would have been paid top rate to pick up those pieces if you weren't so willing to be management's useful idiot. Teamwork? Do you really think they view you as a team mate? They see you they same way they see all of us, as a tool to do the job. You just happen to be the cheapest tool in the box.
Do yourself a favor and print out the posts you've been making and save them. A few years from now (assuming you're still with UPS), when the light finally clicks on in your head, you can go back and read them as a reminder of what a fool you were.

it is a great issue when you argue what unionism is doing to this company. Do we reaally want brown eyed girl refusing to pick up those packages and telling the customer to call someone else. I think Brown eyed girl has the right idea and made it easy for the customer. Once she did she felt it would have been unethical to ask to be paid at a higher rate. This ethics thing is actually a good thing that the union probably struggles to understand.....:)

over9five

Staff member
it is a great issue when you argue what unionism is doing to this company. Do we reaally want brown eyed girl refusing to pick up those packages and telling the customer to call someone else. I think Brown eyed girl has the right idea and made it easy for the customer. Once she did she felt it would have been unethical to ask to be paid at a higher rate. This ethics thing is actually a good thing that the union probably struggles to understand.....:)

Nope. UPS has already agreed to pay her full rate to pick up those grounds. Her management team is being unethical by having her do the pickup while withholding the pay she is entitled to.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think Brown eyed girl has the right idea and made it easy for the customer. Once she did she felt it would have been unethical to ask to be paid at a higher rate. This ethics thing is actually a good thing that the union probably struggles to understand.....:)

tie

lets get feelings out of the conversation. feelings are emotions, and have no business being discussed when you talk about ethics. ethics are ethics, regardless of your emotion at the time.

yup, doing the job well is wonderful. and on occasion, where there is an emergency, the contract states you can use a part timer air driver to pick up ground. it is allowed. and everyone is happy.

problem is the following.
she felt it would have been unethical to ask to be paid at a higher rate
do i need to ask management to pay me at the end of the week, at the pay rate that i am due?

so why in the hell is management so unethical that she has to ask, much less file, to be paid for work authorized by you, at the pay rate you agreed to pay for that work. you have the ability to pay her at the proper rate, so why do you refuse to do so. what she feels is irrelevant to the conversation.

its like me going out to hire day laborers, agreeing to pay them $100 a day for the work all week. and at the end of the week, instead of paying them $500, i try to slime around getting them to accept $250 instead. that is what you are doing each and every time you violate the contract in this manner.

so i would suggest that while the union has more than its share if unethical issues, where they dont understand ethics, management is by far the leader when it comes to being unethical. and you damn well know that to be true. otherwise, why would you not already have the time coded to pay the girl for what you agreed to pay for the work done?

so dont go throwing ethic stones when you live life in the crystal palace of being blind to ethics yourself.

btw, i also happen to know you personally, and the tie i know and have talked to is above reproach when it comes to personal integrity and ethics. so the support you have given to this point of view is puzzling.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This response may surprise quite a few but I agree with Over and the others who have stated that Brown Eyed Girl is being taken advantage of. I do applaud her for taking care of the customer, which is why (I hope) each and every one of us here, by picking up the ground pkgs that the regular p/u driver could not take, for whatever reason. However, as Jones stated, it has become easier for the company to tell her "we have no else available" and then ask her to "help us out". I think it is time for BEG to draw the line in the sand and to get the money that she is contractually obligated to get. I would be willing to bet that the company would "find someone available" to clean up any hanging ground pickups the same day she files the grievance.

BEG, this grievance is not about the money. It is about the principle. You are an air driver and as such are allowed to deliver and pickup air packages only. If you are asked to pickup dropboxes and there are ground packages in there you should take all of the packages, scan all of the packages and complete the stop as usual. To only scan the air and bring the ground back to the center to be scanned would create more work than it is worth. However, if you are tasked to make a bulk ground pickup you should note the date and time and file accordingly.

I told you you'd be surprised.

tieguy

Banned
Nope. UPS has already agreed to pay her full rate to pick up those grounds. Her management team is being unethical by having her do the pickup while withholding the pay she is entitled to.

I don't agree. She made a decision in the interests of service.

Right or wrong this type of language is what I was referring to when I made that point that a lot of upsers think this type of language offends their personal ethics belief. The biggest thief in the world can find a reason to justify his theft and often do.

tieguy

Banned
Danny to me this issue has nothing to do with emotions.

I think Brown eyed girl has a firm belief in what is right and wrong. I don't think others should encourage her to violate her belief system.

many upsers recognize the contract has language in it that may allow them to be paid money they did not earn. They feel it is slimey to do so and should not be chastized for it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tie, are you honestly telling us that you don't think her mgt team is taking advantage of her belief system? Keep in mind I applaud her devotion to service and for taking care of the customer but bulk ground pickups that are not covered could be dispatched to other FT drivers who are were sent out light or may be looking for some OT.