Tom

tieguy

Banned
dang tyie, you cant stay focused for shnit nor high water, can ya.

d

my focus is fine you just don't like where it takes you. If you actually open your mind you may find that you can still maintain the intent of the contract and provide a superior service.

I'll say it again and you may hear me this time brown eyed girls actions will not cost anyone their job and will not gain anyone a job.

too many beatings here for something that wont gain you anything

UPSGUY72

my focus is fine you just don't like where it takes you. If you actually open your mind you may find that you can still maintain the intent of the contract and provide a superior service.

I'll say it again and you may hear me this time brown eyed girls actions will not cost anyone their job and will not gain anyone a job.

I know what you mean you would think that after the beaten that you and sock (opps I forgot your the same person ) have taken you go crawl back in your hole for a while.

How can blatantly violating what the contract reads maintain the intent of the contract? This does not compute.

You are correct that this will not add nor subtract the amount of jobs.
Oh but this is incorrect, a driver will gain more time @ ground rate for doing ground work as worded in the contract.

I am all for customer service and a single package here and there is not a big deal, however bulk stops are quite a different matter.

I know what you mean you would think that after the beaten that you and sock (opps I forgot your the same person ) have taken you go crawl back in your hole for a while.
In actuality you may be correct in your arguments , but you will NEVER win with either one.

tieguy

Banned

I would but then you guys would accuse me of being a teamster......

(ooh, ooh nothin but net on that shot!!):)

705red

Browncafe Steward
This response may surprise quite a few but I agree with Over and the others who have stated that Brown Eyed Girl is being taken advantage of. I do applaud her for taking care of the customer, which is why (I hope) each and every one of us here, by picking up the ground pkgs that the regular p/u driver could not take, for whatever reason. However, as Jones stated, it has become easier for the company to tell her "we have no else available" and then ask her to "help us out". I think it is time for BEG to draw the line in the sand and to get the money that she is contractually obligated to get. I would be willing to bet that the company would "find someone available" to clean up any hanging ground pickups the same day she files the grievance.

BEG, this grievance is not about the money. It is about the principle. You are an air driver and as such are allowed to deliver and pickup air packages only. If you are asked to pickup dropboxes and there are ground packages in there you should take all of the packages, scan all of the packages and complete the stop as usual. To only scan the air and bring the ground back to the center to be scanned would create more work than it is worth. However, if you are tasked to make a bulk ground pickup you should note the date and time and file accordingly.

I told you you'd be surprised.

WWWOOOWWWWW! No wonder its been so cold here, hell must have frozen over!

Danny to me this issue has nothing to do with emotions.

I think Brown eyed girl has a firm belief in what is right and wrong. I don't think others should encourage her to violate her belief system.

many upsers recognize the contract has language in it that may allow them to be paid money they did not earn. They feel it is slimey to do so and should not be chastized for it.

I think someone got a promotion to the B.S department!

upstate I think the intent of the language is there to protect high paying jobs in specfic scenarios. It was meant to keep the company from continously using lower paid drivers to do higher paid work. If her sup is telling her to go out and do that work each day then she should demand and be paid the higher rate.

I think we violate the intent with random scenarios like this one.

you guys try to make it out as a management taking advantage of her scenario to justify the attempted theft. In reality she knew if anyone else was in the area and she did the right thing for the customer. She then weighed all factors and decided it would violate her personal belief system to ask for the higher rate.

you folks should have educated her on the intent of the language , lauded her for her principles and left it alone. Not try to encourage, justify and blast her for not engaging in theft.

Actually the contract allows her on an exception basis to pick up a few grounds "if" the normal driver has already picked up for the day. In this case the normal driver did not make an attempt. Now you have been educated a little.

sorry tie, you are wrong, you know it, but you still defend your position?

next

d

I like fruit punch kool aid please. But that is the thing, I have a decent rapport and keep professional with all supervisors whether it's in the hub or air driving. And like I said before, once I feel that is violated, then I will leave UPS.

Sorry, but I'm not going to jump on the grievance band wagon just for touching a box I'm not supposed to. Please give my regards to the full time driver and his kids that I took money from. Funny and ludacris all at the same time.

Typical air driver response. They complain about picking up grounds but dont want to file in their name. I have given up filing for them and now I have senior drivers that file if air drivers touch ground packages.

some people would think that getting money that was not earned is stealing.

How about this for the future bubbles. If you file a legitimate grievance you get paid. If you file a BS grievance you get fired. That would kill a lot of fishing expeditions where people try to come up with creative interpretations of contract language.

Im in! ANd every sup that ges a greivance filed on them that is a winner that sup resigns from UPS! In a matter of weeeks we (union employees) will be running this company properly!

Danny it did look like she said it was one package. She then got beat up pretty good by others here.

I guess my question is that if you have people that actively and creatively try to generate grievances that maybe go beyond the intended scope of the contract shouldn't she be able to decide the other way and decide that there was no violation?

Look at jonesy response. Pretty ****ty for one package. You guys do what you want but you're ignoring the members that don't want to come to work and fight every day. I think you're strangling your own union.

The one package was a delivery! No where in article 40 is an air driver allowed to deliver a ground package, no where!

trickpony1

If BEG (an appropriate name?) spent 20 years in the Navy then she probably attained some rank and had subordinates who reported to her.
I wonder if she treated her subordinates with this "ethics and morals" stuff that she talks about here?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am pretty sure this was discussed but I did not read the entire thread . Here in NE, the company and local already agreed that drop boxes with ground will be picked up and you do not get the FT driver pay assuming the FT driver on-route already was in that area.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I like fruit punch kool aid please. But that is the thing, I have a decent rapport and keep professional with all supervisors whether it's in the hub or air driving. And like I said before, once I feel that is violated, then I will leave UPS.

Sorry, but I'm not going to jump on the grievance band wagon just for touching a box I'm not supposed to. Please give my regards to the full time driver and his kids that I took money from. Funny and ludacris all at the same time.

What is ludicrous to me is you only see black and white on this issue! The company that you are keeping professional with and a decent rapport are the same ones who proposed that air drivers pickup AIR unless it is exception purpose, etc. So what you are saying is that despite their unprofessional and decieptful actions - against you and other drivers involved - it is O.K.

You really should go over to the other side, I'm afraid to say.

CharleyHustle

How many drivers sort their load before start time? How many skip lunch and breaks? How many just wish it would end? JMO, The company doesn't have to pay the extra rate unless they ask. If they ask, they most likely would get it without filing a grievance. They don't have to ask, however. The company should just pay the rate, but they aren't going to. Another hourly could file for the rate or time, but they may have to show they were ready and available to do that work. The stewart could file, and specifiy who should get paid or be decided by the panel. The bottom line, if they don't want it they don't have to ask or grieve, but they do have to respect that others may feel or act differently.

Employees, for whatever reason deside to take less. Employers, for good reason will take advantage of that fact.