too many signatures a integrity issue ???

705red

Browncafe Steward
I was also trained if someone is there have them sign for the package. That is why we beep when we pull up to a residence, to get the customers attention. Driver releasing is at the drivers discretion. Sounds like IE has no clue on how to do our job to me.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
recently we were shown a report,, from IE,, showing what percentage of a route was "supposed" to be DR'd . It was also shown in statistic form how many drivers were getting to many signatures , in our center it was about 85 percent. IE told us there will be no time studies done untill the integrity issue of drivers getting to many signatures is corrected. I dont get many signatures, maybe 30 out of 130 stops, but isnt that the correct and most thorough way to do the job? I dont understand how a driver is stealing by waiting for a sig, i also dont know how IE can determine what stops are release only

hellfire

The only time I get a signature at a residential stop is if the shipper paid for one.
Me to,,i have about 20 business stops.. my problem with the whole concept is that IE says where a sig is required,, what about a multiple piece stop,,what if the receiver is disabled,elderly or just a person that wants you to wait and hand the pkg to them ?I dont get resi sigs,, ever,, but if a driver does, he is spending the time to do so, there is no theft involved. Our business model is based on a neatly dressed driver going to your door ,, handing you the pkg' ,briefly chatting, getting a signature and walking away. its what ups is to people,, seems wrong that IE is saying no more ------------and again,, i rarely get sigs but it seems much more professional to me to do so

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Me to,,i have about 20 business stops.. my problem with the whole concept is that IE says where a sig is required,, what about a multiple piece stop,,what if the receiver is disabled,elderly or just a person that wants you to wait and hand the pkg to them ?I dont get resi sigs,, ever,, but if a driver does, he is spending the time to do so, there is no theft involved. Our business model is based on a neatly dressed driver going to your door ,, handing you the pkg' ,briefly chatting, getting a signature and walking away. its what ups is to people,, seems wrong that IE is saying no more ------------and again,, i rarely get sigs but it seems much more professional to me to do so

I am sure you can see what is coming down the road. Fewer signatures means less time spent per stop means more stops per car.

hellfire

I am sure you can see what is coming down the road. Fewer signatures means less time spent per stop means more stops per car.
yes,, i know,, just wanted others opinions, the brutal realism cant be denied.......i guess im turning into a relic ,, production is king

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
How much extra time do you get for a signature? It can't be enough to make it worth w a i t i n g for someone to come to the door.
What if the person is right there waiting?

We had a driver who was getting signatures at every resi stop. Turned out it wasn't the customers who were signing though. That might be what IE is really concerned about.
+1 This is the only reason I can see for any concern. I guess each center has a person doing this. It sucks when you get a DF stating that the pkg was signed for by someone, when in fact the consignee wasn't even home at the time.

I Driver Release everything that I possible can safely and by UPS' methods. The only numbers I care about are the ones on my paycheck.
+1

I have had too many dfs lately. Even when I have personally handed them, or left them where I always have. So I am the judge, you be the jury. If I dont like the way you look, act, or live, Im getting a sig. Yes I have more sigs lately, people are more dishonest lately.
Including BASIC? :wink2:

Just when I thought I'd heard it all. I swear UPS is going to nit-pick themselves right out of business. It's no wonder the average UPS driver don't give a crap about anything anymore- they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
+1
I cant believe that UPS trys to make UPSers pay for stolen packages in some areas. In WA they cannot make us pay for stolen packages.
DC or State?

How many signatures is too many?....You just have to find the sweet spot! For example all you male hetero`s out there, if a pkg. is from VS and the name sounds modern like Heather or Brandi, then get a signature! :wink2:
You crack me up Raw. What happen's when "Heather" or "Brandi" come to the door and their names are actually Peter and Henry?:sick:

recently we were shown a report,, from IE,, showing what percentage of a route was "supposed" to be DR'd . It was also shown in statistic form how many drivers were getting to many signatures , in our center it was about 85 percent. IE told us there will be no time studies done untill the integrity issue of drivers getting to many signatures is corrected. I dont get many signatures, maybe 30 out of 130 stops, but isnt that the correct and most thorough way to do the job? I dont understand how a driver is stealing by waiting for a sig, i also dont know how IE can determine what stops are release only
IE's statistical analysis is what is going to drive UPS into the ground.
I get more signatures on my route than not. It's usually a 90/30 split. Come get me IE!

Attn corporate monitor, please make sure that when you copy this post and email it to my center manager, you also forward a copy to my email address. I'm sure that it would be easy to figure out my email address.:wink2:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So you get a say paypal or ebay pkg, you dont know if its electronics, jewelry, you just dont know. My guy who covered for me left a set of camaro heads, where I always leave the guys stuff. The guy says No got. 999.00. It was not in a head box from s&s whatever. The OMS said "well come on June it was 75 pds" so what just coz its overweight do we get a sig? It coulda been a box of bricks, we dont have xray eyes, we are not psychic. So at my discretion, coz its heavy It must be valuable, get a sig. Thats why I am being judgemental at stops. Iam not paying for anyones stuff. And Ive heard it mentioned. For bad drs I understand, but for good ones? They will find a way to say, the neighbor could have seen it from his upstairs back window, someone walking by could see you put it there, leave and no ones home, coz you beeped when you pulled up and notified all the thugs in the neighborhood. An alien on Planet X could have seen it from above, yada yada.
This was an all sig area, before they put the big push on for production. I think it should all be again. Id rather sling and run but Im not paying for some deadbeats tennies.
They need to start trusting us for the professional people we are, and quit treating us like idiots. We know our areas, we know the drills, just let us do our job.
You have to gauge every stop, where to park, what could possibly happen, where we can leave it whos around, but then question our every move. I for one cant wait til I can get outta here. And no im not going til it is gainful, Ive invested half my life, so dont even think about saying, if you dont like it leave.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I get more signatures on my route than not. It's usually a 90/30 split. Come get me IE!

Before you get thrown in IE jail can you tell us why??

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Before you get thrown in IE jail can you tell us why??
90 business/apts vs 30 DR stops. Good enough? Did I pass the test?

Hey June, you can tell your dispatcher to make this area a level 4 in your board, so that all the addresses in that area are sig required.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
90 business/apts vs 30 DR stops. Good enough? Did I pass the test?

Hey June, you can tell your dispatcher to make this area a level 4 in your board, so that all the addresses in that area are sig required.

Kind of touchy this evening are you not.

Sounds like you have a good reason for all the signatures.

I will now leave you alone.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Kind of touchy this evening are you not.

Sounds like you have a good reason for all the signatures.

I will now leave you alone.
Nah, not touchy, just the way I am. Some love me, some hate me, but it does take a bit to get to know me. This reminds me of a conversation I had with my on-road. He was talking to me during a ride and suggested I may be bi-polar, LOL. I told him that he see's me for all of 2 minutes in the morning and barely that in the evening. I don't think that's enough time to assess any particular pscyhological condition I may/may not have. This from a guy that is happy at one minute (under allowed/scratch) and sad the next (over allowed/file a grievance). Maybe you guys should start treating driver's unconditionally. You may find that this will be a big fix for the morale problem.

Sorry that I'm coming off as jaded. I have the good supe/bad supe all in one.:happy2:

Yeah, right, they will listen to me. LOL
I thought the same thing, till I spoke to the dispatch supe. He asked where I needed it and it was applied by the next day.