Too Short?

whiskers

I can call you out on this having done auto body for 10 yrs.

Not a chance in hell. A weld would be 100X stronger than the factory bolts. For that matter, you can cut the seat in half, weld it together and it will still be stronger than it was.

Frames on cars, trucks, tractor trailers get welded...

I used to weld structural steel for a living. I'm with upstate, bolts are stronger than welds, in most cases.

Don't get me wrong, welds can be very strong.

Johney

How about putting something in your shoes? I seen some goofy ad on TV the other day selling these inserts that they claimed would add up to two inches to your height. Just a thought.

steward71

Ok have had my funny so this is not meant to be funny. That TV show called Big World Little People. It was a about Little People and the Dad in the show has his own company that made things for people like his family. He had all kinds of stuff the company made he did have somethings he and his wife used to help with the driving that stayed on the pedals at all times. I can't recall his name, but the show came on TLC. You may want to Google it and it may tell you his name and his site for his company. I do know on one show the state he lived he had to take his son to the DMV to get his permit and the DMV had to check to see if the pedals were state safety approved and they were and if I recall his company did make these items. I know the few times I did see the show he would in fact review e-mails from people across the country about issues of people having proplems of this nature. Just a thinking, Good luck with your issue.

Conundrum

Thanks to everyone for the responses :). My height has always been a little more in my torso than my legs, I have short stubby legs :(. As for the pedal extenders that has already been discussed but they will not let me use them because they say it is unsafe, that they could slip etc etc. Just liability issues on the part of management in case I am ever in an accident. I guess the only thing I can do myself is to try to find shoes to make me a little taller that would follow the shoes guideline, and that I wont roll an ankle in lol.

over9five

Staff member
No offense to the OP, but maybe this isn't the job for you.

Any path you take would seem to make the job a little more dangerous for you (and maybe the public as well).

I hate to think of you in shoes that make you two inches taller getting in and out of that PC a hundred or two hundred times per day. THAT is a fall waiting to happen.

Don't take a job where you have to make yourself ten times more likely to get hurt.

Good luck, whatever you do!

hembone

No offense to the OP, but maybe this isn't the job for you.

Any path you take would seem to make the job a little more dangerous for you (and maybe the public as well).

I hate to think of you in shoes that make you two inches taller getting in and out of that PC a hundred or two hundred times per day. THAT is a fall waiting to happen.

Don't take a job where you have to make yourself ten times more likely to get hurt.

Good luck, whatever you do!
Not to mention the damage it would cause to your back. It's hard enough to get out of the car 150/200 times a day with regular shoes.

over9five

Staff member
I think Cachsux had the right idea with the bolts and screwing the extensions onto the pedals.
And every day changing them to the route he is covering that day? Many times cover drivers don't know what they're doing till after the PCM. Do we have a mechanic waiting to change them everyday? I don't feel this is a reasonable accommodation.

steward71

OK check your state laws for these types of issues concerning the petals. I don't see how they could claim they are unsafe at all. When states let little people drive all the time with thses types of petals and check the fed. Dot laws as well. The company is full of Sh**. you can do the job that is way is been cleared because they are the ones that opened that door. As far as this job for you well if you want it to be then make it so and if anyone tells you should give up then just look at them and say "well they let a no friend* brain like you drive a truck, why not a short person with a better brain." not making fun of you Over9five, it is meant for the smart remarks she may get at the job site. LOL

menotyou

bella amicizia
And every day changing them to the route he is covering that day? Many times cover drivers don't know what they're doing till after the PCM. Do we have a mechanic waiting to change them everyday? I don't feel this is a reasonable accommodation.
I think the suggestion was to carry a wrench and do it that way. I hadn't thought of the mechanic angle. That's their work.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I'm just wondering, how do u get stops outta the 5000 & 7000 sections ??

Managements fault though. They worked it out for you to qualify and didn't look @ the reality of the situation. Nothing against you personally but I've seen similar things were they would serve people an easy qualify even though they can't perform the job.

A lady didn't know how to drive a stick so they gave her an automatic so she would qualify. Nothing but problems after that. She was an air driver but still. She ended up quiting.

A few guys couldn't hit scratch & so managers didn't count their 1st week of the 30 and worked out gravy routes so they could scratch. Now 2 of the guys are in shell shock and sweating every day. I shake their hand and say this is what I meant when I said congratulations.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
As far as pedal modifications go, I can't see that working just causeU could be on a different route and truck daily. Hows the bid driver going 2 use the truck with the pedals now to close to his feet?

I can't see them swapping the pedal modes in & out each truck following each route your on.

Maybe they can try to keep u in the same truck and have it follow u on each route your on but they would have to know for sure what route you will doing the day B4 and not change it.

But, then that could be considered favoring U and not fair 2 the rest who get shuffled around up to the last minute of start time and could be on a crap truck.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm just wondering, how do u get stops outta the 5000 & 7000 sections ??

Managements fault though. They worked it out for you to qualify and didn't look @ the reality of the situation. Nothing against you personally but I've seen similar things were they would serve people an easy qualify even though they can't perform the job.

A lady didn't know how to drive a stick so they gave her an automatic so she would qualify. Nothing but problems after that. She was an air driver but still. She ended up quiting.

A few guys couldn't hit scratch & so managers didn't count their 1st week of the 30 and worked out gravy routes so they could scratch. Now 2 of the guys are in shell shock and sweating every day. I shake their hand and say this is what I meant when I said congratulations.
I drove a 1000 and had a hell of a time getting stuff off the top shelf, especially after the drop-off.