Took time off for child birth - lost insurance

mitchemracing4

Just as I said . Took two weeks off for my daughters birth . I asked before hand if it would effect anything and was told no by my full time sup as well as my manager . Then got letters in the mail saying that my insurance had been cancelled . So I realize that labor and delivery isn't cheap ! Apparently you can't take layoffs and keep insurance which I did not know about and as not told about . They are working to fix this I'm told so we shall see or else those first few months of rtd driving will not make a huge difference in my bank account .

RealPerson

You need to File FMLA if you can..... and No, if you do not punch once in a week, you do not have insurance. Now if you would of taken One optional day each week, you would have been covered...

mitchemracing4

Yeah I know now lol . They are adding a optional day into that week . Insurance guy said that is all I they need to do to get them to pay so that's what my manager is going to try . Regardless , lesson learned .

Edit : this was a week back in February so using Fmla is useless and I'm sure impossible at this point . I would have done that originally but did not want to loose a week of paid vacation when I already had my vacations scheduled .

clean hairy

Maternity leave is not the same as FMLA, or is it?
Short term disability?
Just wondering for those who might encounter this in the future where FMLA does not have to be used.

Notretiredyet

Call Teamcare or your local, you have a short time frame in which you can pay the insurance for that week. Then resubmit the bills and they'll pay them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If only we had known the union would make teamcare such a pain in the ass.

Can you name any other health insurer that will let you keep your coverage after taking 2 weeks off without pay?

Rather than do his homework he relied on his mgt team and now he is scrambling to not only get coverage but to get those bills paid.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Apparently you can't take layoffs and keep insurance which I did not know about and as not told about .

Did you even bother to ask your Local Union ?

I mean, you didn't think the company.... was obligated to tell you.... right ?

Edit : this was a week back in February so using Fmla is useless and I'm sure impossible at this point .

The good news is, FMLA is retro-active.

I would have done that originally but did not want to loose a week of paid vacation when I already had my vacations scheduled .

Hmmm,

Lose a week of vacation, or pay out of pocket for the birth of a child ?

We all have to make tough choices in life. :biggrin:

Regardless , lesson learned .

No doubt.

Hopefully, others can learn.

Call Teamcare or your local, you have a short time frame in which you can pay the insurance for that week. Then resubmit the bills and they'll pay them.

For some reason, 6 months sticks in my mind.

But, don't quote me on that. It might only be for reimbursement.

-Bug-

MAKAVELI

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm
Maintenance of Health Benefits

A covered employer is required to maintain group health insurance coverage, including family coverage, for an employee on FMLA leave on the same terms as if the employee continued to work.

Where appropriate, arrangements will need to be made for employees taking unpaid FMLA leave to pay their share of health insurance premiums. For example, if the group health plan involves co-payments by the employer and the employee, an employee on unpaid FMLA leave must make arrangements to pay his or her normal portion of the insurance premiums to maintain insurance coverage, as must the employer. Such payments may be made under any arrangement voluntarily agreed to by the employer and employee.

An employer's obligation to maintain health benefits under FMLA stops if and when an employee informs the employer of an intent not to return to work at the end of the leave period, or if the employee fails to return to work when the FMLA leave entitlement is exhausted. The employer's obligation also stops if the employee's premium payment is more than 30 days late and the employer has given the employee written notice at least 15 days in advance advising that coverage will cease if payment is not received.

In some circumstances, the employer may recover premiums it paid to maintain health insurance coverage for an employee who fails to return to work from FMLA leave.

VDUBINIT

Call your local/ba and talk with your local hr rep. The union and hr have to fill out some paperwork so that your insurance doesn't get cancelled.

I took all 12 weeks off without a problem under FMLA ..California

You have to be a little proactive in getting your ducks lined up before the birth.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter took her company paid maternity leave (2 weeks?) and all 12 weeks of her FMLA after the birth of my granddaughter. Her husband is a firefighter who works 24 hours and is off for 72.

bluehdmc

Can you name any other health insurer that will let you keep your coverage after taking 2 weeks off without pay?

Rather than do his homework he relied on his mgt team and now he is scrambling to not only get coverage but to get those bills paid.

Used to be you only need 1 punch in a month to be covered.