Tool talk

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We got car and bike talk so why not tool talk.

Somehow I convinced the wife to take 250+ miles of back roads tomorrow to aid in my search for made in the USA vise grips.

rod

Retired 22 years
After 50 plus years of working with power tools I actually had a run in with my chop saw a week ago. That will teach me to run power tools sober.

I still have all my fingers although the middle finger on my left hand is about 17 different shades of purple and black.

Brownslave688

After 50 plus years of working with power tools I actually had a run in with my chop saw a week ago. That will teach me to run power tools sober.

I still have all my fingers although the middle finger on my left hand is about 17 different shades of purple and black.
What brand chop saw? I'll be buying one soon.

rod

Retired 22 years
Makita------Actually a friend of mine gave it to me because being the blade guard was broke it wasn't OSHA approved for his glass shop. Go figure! I've used it a thousand times but got a little careless the other day. My stupid mistake.

oldngray

nowhere special
Makita------Actually a friend of mine gave it to me because being the blade guard was broke it wasn't OSHA approved for his glass shop. Go figure! I've used it a thousand times but got a little careless the other day. My stupid mistake.

Makita is good. I have a Dewalt mitre saw I got from UPS back when they still had good service awards that is pretty good also.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It seems when seniors downsize.....like in this gated +55 community, they seem to unload their tools.
Hubby is one of the few that has the tools in our neighborhood.
Other guys are always asking, "do you have one of these or one of those". It surprise me when he gets out exactly what they want.

The 2 guys next door (yes, it's a guy couple) are always asking him if he can fix this or that and so far, he's been able to help.

Our garage space is limited, so he doesn't have the large table things anymore.

Brownslave688

It seems when seniors downsize.....like in this gated +55 community, they seem to unload their tools.
Other guys are always asking, "do you have one of these or one of those". It surprise me when he gets out exactly what they want.

The 2 guys next door (yes, it's a guy couple) are always asking him if he can fix this or that and so far, he's been able to help.

My dad and grandpas came from the mentality that you make what you have work. After years of jobs being harder than they should of been. I refuse to make that tool work. If I need a different tool for the job I buy it. Ill die with a lot of :censored2:. Lol

over9five

Staff member
Makita------Actually a friend of mine gave it to me because being the blade guard was broke it wasn't OSHA approved for his glass shop.
I got a nice 8 ft step ladder that way too. Friend couldn't use it at his business cause it had one small crack in the wood.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have that too. I think it was a 15 YOS award.

I still have a drill press, table saw and a bench grinder I got years ago as safe driving awards. They aren't top of the line stuff but they do serve a purpose. I inherited all my Dads tools and my sons tools when they passed away so I have plenty of stuff.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Post filled with valuable information.

Yard sales - as the early boomers downsize, shop these sales and pick up AWESOME quality tools. Establish rapport with male seller because yard sales suck and no one wants their tools to end up in the hands of idiot. Besides, provides seller reason to escape the "women chatter" of yard sales.

You may find Craftsman tool from era when Craftsman tools had meaning.
You may find "hard to find" woodworking specialty items.

Next item to pull from More's post...
Never downsize tool collection.
And never allow yourself to move into home with less than 2 1/2 car garage. If you can, allow make sure you have at least one 220 outlet for the "just incase" you get your hot hands on pneumatic tools with guts.

Tools are what made America.

Dad's never trusted a screw which could be stripped out.
I say, never trust anyone that doesn't know the differences in a screwdriver.