Tool talk

over9five

Staff member
One of my favorites is my Dewalt 1/4" impact drill/driver. That thing is the one I grab first out of the 5 Dewalt drills I have.
I just wish they would make an adapter to use the new 20v Lithium Ion batteries on the older 18v tools. Sure, they have 18v Lithiums but the 20v are cheaper and lighter.
Just got done using my Dewalt 18v drill on a folding door. Had it for years, but one battery doesn't charge, and the other doesn't last long.
Time for new batteries.

Just got done using my Dewalt 18v drill on a folding door. Had it for years, but one battery doesn't charge, and the other doesn't last long.
Time for new batteries.

If you're looking for new batteries I'll send you the 18v's I have left. It'll give me an excuse to get new Lithium Ions.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Time for new batteries.
Too late now but I know a lot of people that buy the dewalt tool packs on Black Friday and sell all the tools. You essentially get the batteries for free after selling the tools lots of times.

With the new 20v lithiums you have to pay attention. They have 1.5, 3, and 4 amp versions. Naturally you want the larger two.
For the 18v lithiums I've found the best prices on EBay. $113 for two is the best so far.

What is a good torque wrench or torque limiting wrench that doesn't cost an arm and leg?

I have two Craftsman, 1/2 and 3/8, torque wrenches that are 15 years old and still work well. That being said they are Craftsman tools from 15 years ago. I can't say if the new ones are made as well.

upschuck

I have two Craftsman, 1/2 and 3/8, torque wrenches that are 15 years old and still work well. That being said they are Craftsman tools from 15 years ago. I can't say if the new ones are made as well.
I've heard the new Craftsman tools are not good, and don't have the lifetime warranty anymore because they are made in China or somewhere.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
What is a good torque wrench or torque limiting wrench that doesn't cost an arm and leg?
I have Protos I bought about 18 years ago. Same as what Mac sells. Not badly priced. And a SpapOn inch pound dial type I found in a pawn shop. Like new for $100. I suspect it was hot.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
New Craftsman tools are crap. I don't know where they are made but far inferior to the old ones.

Yippee. I tried to use an old Craftsman 1/4 inch ratchet handle the other day that was my father's (probably 50 years old) that only works in one direction. I wonder what kind of crap I'll get.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Bought a cheap ass set of drill bits at Menards. 40 bucks for about 300 drill bits and drivers. Thought they would be complete crap. Amazingly. The bits stayed sharp and the drivers didn't strip.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yippee. I tried to use an old Craftsman 1/4 inch ratchet handle the other day that was my father's (probably 50 years old) that only works in one direction. I wonder what kind of crap I'll get.

Take your 1/4 inch ratchet back to Sears. They used to be real good at replacing broken tools no matter how old they were. The old ones should still have a lifetime guarantee----or maybe they don't do that anymore.

jim_flint

If you don't want to trade it in, you can try to refurb it yourself. The head is held together by a spring clip, and the problem could be as simple as the grease inside the head has dried out. Plus, if you crack it open and can't fix it, you can still get a warranty replacement anyway.

Brownslave688

I've heard the new Craftsman tools are not good, and don't have the lifetime warranty anymore because they are made in China or somewhere.
Still have a lifetime warranty but yes the quality has went way down. Ill be getting a snap on torque wrench from the pawn shop and then have my snap on guy on route recalibrate it.

Check out the industrial brands like Armstrong and Williams.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you don't want to trade it in, you can try to refurb it yourself. The head is held together by a spring clip, and the problem could be as simple as the grease inside the head has dried out. Plus, if you crack it open and can't fix it, you can still get a warranty replacement anyway.

I've fixed a few, so that isn't the problem. I'd like to see if I get a rebuild kit. I really don't want to exchange because of the sentimental value.

upschuck

Still have a lifetime warranty but yes the quality has went way down. Ill be getting a snap on torque wrench from the pawn shop and then have my snap on guy on route recalibrate it.

Check out the industrial brands like Armstrong and Williams.
Our last Sears in town closed shop a couple weeks ago.

I've heard somebody talk about Armstrong was a good alternative to Snap-On at a better cost.

Brownslave688

Our last Sears in town closed shop a couple weeks ago.

I've heard somebody talk about Armstrong was a good alternative to Snap-On at a better cost.
I have Armstrong locking flex head ratchets. I LOVE THEM!!!!! However I have heard many horror stories about trying to warranty them.

Also Armstrong is I believe the largest supplier of tools for our military. So they will always be a good American made choice. Must continue to be made in the USA to keep their contract.