Tool talk

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-hp-bridge-tile-saw-with-stand-97360.html

I bought this wet saw a few months ago and tiled one of my bathrooms. I could have got a smaller and cheaper saw, but I liked the fact that it had legs, does bevel cuts, handles 24" tile, and can cut 1 1/4" pavers. I still want to tile the kitchen and other two baths, so I thought it was worth it to go this route. My first tile floor looks great, that saw goes through tile like its butter.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have had real good luck with the stuff I bought at Harbor Freight and they have some excellent sales. Their stuff isn't contractors grade by any means but for some work shop tinkerer it works fine. Being the penny pinching old retired guy that I am I even go to our 2 local pawn shops about once a year and resupply my socket collection. For some reason I manage to lose 10mm sockets more than any other. I used to get them for 10 to 25 cents apiece but now they are up to 25 to 50 cents. If you dig around in the random socket bucket you can usually find some name brand ones---although last week I checked both pawn shops and there wasn't a 10mm to be found at ether one. Farm auctions are another great place to pick up tools cheap. I know if I had to do it all over again I would build the majority my tool collection going to farm auctions. Don't get carried away though. I had a good friend who when he died his family found 52 hammers in his shop.

rod

Retired 22 years
For anyone looking for a good starters mechanics set check out this 204 piece dewalt set. http://m.sears.com/index-g.html#/productdetails/00939204000P?partnumber=00939204000P

Ill be buying it as a set to keep in my truck. It is all 6 point sockets and really has no filler pieces to up the piece count. It lists for $300 but regularly goes on sale for at least half off.

I got a nice little set that has its own carrying case that I got from the Teamsters Union when I retired.

I love doing tile, Scratch. It's a little hard on the knees but it's a reward when done. Second only to doing hardwood on my list.

I've gone from Craftsman to Kobalt tools as I replace them. Same warranty and Kobalt stuff comes standard with features Crafsman charges a premium for.

oldngray

nowhere special
I got a nice little set that has its own carrying case that I got from the Teamsters Union when I retired.

I got nothing from Teamsters. I did get a retirement gift from UPS 3 months late because they screwed up my paperwork (put my status as Resigned instead of Retired) for some things. I got my pension check the first month (but short a little that UPS finally figured out 5 months later - when it was obvious what the correct amount should be - a nice even number - but the people in HR are not trained to think). But it was months of phone calls and arguing on the phone to get their mess straightened out. Atlanta never did - I finally got a local HR person to look at it and figure out the problem.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I have had real good luck with the stuff I bought at Harbor Freight and they have some excellent sales. Their stuff isn't contractors grade by any means but for some work shop tinkerer it works fine. Being the penny pinching old retired guy that I am I even go to our 2 local pawn shops about once a year and resupply my socket collection. For some reason I manage to lose 10mm sockets more than any other. I used to get them for 10 to 25 cents apiece but now they are up to 25 to 50 cents. If you dig around in the random socket bucket you can usually find some name brand ones---although last week I checked both pawn shops and there wasn't a 10mm to be found at ether one. Farm auctions are another great place to pick up tools cheap. I know if I had to do it all over again I would build the majority my tool collection going to farm auctions. Don't get carried away though. I had a good friend who when he died his family found 52 hammers in his shop.
Beware of pipe wrenches from Harbor Freight made in China. I watched as the jaw completely snapped off with just minor pressure applied for the first use with a coworker. Rigid is the only one to have.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Beware of pipe wrenches from Harbor Freight made in China. I watched as the jaw completely snapped off with just minor pressure applied for the first use with a coworker. Rigid is the only one to have.
I beware of almost everything from Harbor Freight.
Almost everything I've got there is questionable or does not work quite right.
My $10 chop saw style chain saw sharpener never worked quite right but it sharpens my chains well.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-hp-bridge-tile-saw-with-stand-97360.html

I bought this wet saw a few months ago and tiled one of my bathrooms. I could have got a smaller and cheaper saw, but I liked the fact that it had legs, does bevel cuts, handles 24" tile, and can cut 1 1/4" pavers. I still want to tile the kitchen and other two baths, so I thought it was worth it to go this route. My first tile floor looks great, that saw goes through tile like its butter.
You will never regret buying the maximum tool you can reasonably afford.

rod

Retired 22 years
I got nothing from Teamsters. I did get a retirement gift from UPS 3 months late because they screwed up my paperwork (put my status as Resigned instead of Retired) for some things. I got my pension check the first month (but short a little that UPS finally figured out 5 months later - when it was obvious what the correct amount should be - a nice even number - but the people in HR are not trained to think). But it was months of phone calls and arguing on the phone to get their mess straightened out. Atlanta never did - I finally got a local HR person to look at it and figure out the problem.

I also got a real classy looking pen with the Teamsters logo on it and a set of "Retired Teamster" license plate frames. I didn't get anything from UPS unless you count the 30 year service award that a friend of mine gave me 6 months after I retired . He found it in the bosses office in a stack of junk.

rod

Retired 22 years
Here's my entire vise grip haul.

Great selection. There's no such thing as too many tools. One of the worst feelings in the world is needing a particular tool and not having it. My only suggestion for you would be----get them off the dining room table before the Mrs. sees what you have done and used one on you.

I had to go count mine for reference. I have 23 various pliers from hemostats all the way up to big c-clamp style so B688 seems to be in the general guy ballpark.