Tool talk

Ill be replacing my truck bed this spring. Want to clean up the frame and recoat it.

What am I looking at as far as air requirements?

Anything air powered the runs continuously needs CFM more than PSI. When I was building cars I had a big twin cylinder compressor the could supply a lot of air volume, mid 20s CFM if I remember correctly. Not all big compressors do. If your shopping look for one that can supply more CFM the better.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Anything air powered the runs continuously needs CFM more than PSI. When I was building cars I had a big twin cylinder compressor the could supply a lot of air volume, mid 20s CFM if I remember correctly. Not all big compressors do. If your shopping look for one that can supply more CFM the better.
Good point.
I found out quickly that a pancake does not work well for painting.
Got a 50 gallon and painting worked much better.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
image.jpg
C
Doesn't sound familiar but maybe.
Cach. This is a scaler. I'm sure you've used one, but maybe call it by another name. Works great for cleaning up rusty parts

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Ill be replacing my truck bed this spring. Want to clean up the frame and recoat it.

What am I looking at as far as air requirements?
Sorry I'm not sure of the exact requirements, but I know it uses A LOT of air. I've run it off a large 2 stage shop compressor. (80 gallon I'd guess). So air volume wasn't an issue for me.

over9five

Staff member
You'll notice a big difference in the size air hose you use as well.
I have one of those 50' coil hoses that's great for pulling out to the cars to fill tires. But it has a small diameter so it doesn't work good with big air tools.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yep mark this one in the lessons learned the hard way column for me. Bought a craftsman oiless compressor to run my plasma cutter. Fast forward ten years and I haven't used the plasma cutter once and the compressor only runs my air tools 30 seconds at a time. Not to mention its loud as hell.

When I build my 80x100 shop there are a few things I will certainly error on the side of better to have and not need. Room air and electricity come to mind.

Yep mark this one in the lessons learned the hard way column for me. Bought a craftsman oiless compressor to run my plasma cutter. Fast forward ten years and I haven't used the plasma cutter once and the compressor only runs my air tools 30 seconds at a time. Not to mention its loud as hell.

When I build my 80x100 shop there are a few things I will certainly error on the side of better to have and not need. Room air and electricity come to mind.

My big one was an 80gal, 2 cylinder, high CFM. The two things to look for are CFM and capacity in that order.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality

If your building your dream shop, go for a screw type compressor. Nice & quiet.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If your building your dream shop, go for a screw type compressor. Nice & quiet.
Yeah rotary screw is certainly on my list. Probably depends on what I find on Craigslist. If there is a deal on there that I can't pass up and meets my needs well that's just more money for a CNC machine. :)

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yeah rotary screw is certainly on my list. Probably depends on what I find on Craigslist. If there is a deal on there that I can't pass up and meets my needs well that's just more money for a CNC machine. :)

If you ever get a CNC, I'll bring the brass and stainless billet to cut out putters!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
A CNC would be nice, but massively expensive. I had a temporary job assignment running a big Mori Sekei lathe threading pipe. BOOOOORING. I looked forward to stopping every 20 pieces to measure with a micrometer.
A lack of adequate CFM can really slow down a project. I was modifying an intake manifold this last Summer with a die grinder and it took forever because I could only go about 30 seconds before pressure was too low.