Tools for automotive mechanic

mook8809

I currently work at a heavy truck dealership. I will be starting at ups in a couple weeks as a mechanic and I was wondering if there are any certain tools you use on a daily basis other than the normal ones.

Can't answer your question, but wondering what you think about the starting wage and the four year progression to top rate. Reason I ask is my building just disqualified a new package car mechanic because he was not a mechanic. From what I am hearing is UPS is having a problem hiring a qualified mechanic for the starting rate.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can just sell me all your old stuff. Snap on wrenches is my Xmas present this year.

In all honesty I doubt u need anything special. There are a few mechanics on here that will be around to help u out.

phox1515

nah you don't even need the zip ties... some duct tape is cheaper and works just as good... maybe a little chewing gum for those spots that you can't get to with the duct tape.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our mechanic seemed to get by with a BFH, a pair of pliers, some old coat hangers and a roll of duct tape.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
:disgusted:Comedians...sigh! Nothing really specialized required. I came from a Class 8 background as well, and a lot of what I currently had was not needed, unless you move on to Feeder Mechanic. Anything truly special or unique the company will buy. Air impacts are provided, so you can take your 434 home. $200 annual tool allowance.

mook8809

Can't answer your question, but wondering what you think about the starting wage and the four year progression to top rate. Reason I ask is my building just disqualified a new package car mechanic because he was not a mechanic. From what I am hearing is UPS is having a problem hiring a qualified mechanic for the starting rate.

the starting rate is low and i am taking a pay cut and switching from day to night shift but sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
No, the problem is getting qualified mechanics who are willing to work at night and put up the company's insane expectations.