Tools for automotive mechanic

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by mook8809, Dec 5, 2013.

1. mook8809

mook8809 Member

I currently work at a heavy truck dealership. I will be starting at ups in a couple weeks as a mechanic and I was wondering if there are any certain tools you use on a daily basis other than the normal ones.
  2. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Can't answer your question, but wondering what you think about the starting wage and the four year progression to top rate. Reason I ask is my building just disqualified a new package car mechanic because he was not a mechanic. From what I am hearing is UPS is having a problem hiring a qualified mechanic for the starting rate.
  3. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

a monkey wrench, a phillips head screwdriver and a large baggie of zip ties should be all you need.
    Congrats on the new job.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

One tool you will need is thick skin to deal with all the tools in management.
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You forgot duct tape. Lots of duct tape.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Brownslave688

You can just sell me all your old stuff. Snap on wrenches is my Xmas present this year.

In all honesty I doubt u need anything special. There are a few mechanics on here that will be around to help u out.
  7. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

fixed it for you
  8. phox1515

phox1515 Member

nah you don't even need the zip ties... some duct tape is cheaper and works just as good... maybe a little chewing gum for those spots that you can't get to with the duct tape.
  9. rod

rod retired and happy

Our mechanic seemed to get by with a BFH, a pair of pliers, some old coat hangers and a roll of duct tape.
  10. Future

Future Well-Known Member

:winnersmiley::winnersmiley::winnersmiley:The only tool you need is a good pen. This is so you can write in the DVIR"ok to run"!

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

:disgusted:Comedians...sigh! Nothing really specialized required. I came from a Class 8 background as well, and a lot of what I currently had was not needed, unless you move on to Feeder Mechanic. Anything truly special or unique the company will buy. Air impacts are provided, so you can take your 434 home. $200 annual tool allowance.
  12. mook8809

mook8809 Member

the starting rate is low and i am taking a pay cut and switching from day to night shift but sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward.
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Practice these two phrases until you have them memorized:

Parts On Order

Safe/OK To Run

That was funny the first few thousand times.:bored2:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Do you ever run out of red tags? "Red tags on order"?

Nope. I always have a good supply of them. Not allowed to use them right now, at any cost. Unless genuine safety is the issue or just plain impossible to fix by the time preload arrives.

No, the problem is getting qualified mechanics who are willing to work at night and put up the company's insane expectations.
  18. Brownslave688

Brownwrench. Getting stubby wrenches for Xmas. Snap on or matco?
  19. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Please dont talk about genitally on here, this is a family show!!
  20. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.