Top dog

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Who knows? But the FACT is NOW, there is no more pension for new management. Would you have gone into management way, way,way......way....... back when if you didnt get a pension?
Good question.
I would not have stayed as a Union employee for sure.
There are lots of other companies out there.
I probably would have left after getting out of college if the proposition is what it is today.
If I was offered a Sup position, I would work in that position for a couple of years.
UPS Management looks really good on a resume.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Who knows? But the FACT is NOW, there is no more pension for new management. Would you have gone into management way, way,way......way....... back when if you didnt get a pension?
The pension system is dying. This is the new norm not only at UPS, but corporations across the US. I'd be shocked if there was still hourly pensions at UPS for hourlies in a decade or so.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
so I was just wanting to rack some of you older guys brains. I've been thinking about going into full time management. Is it worth it ,in the long run? Union vs hourly ( we've heard it all before). Anyway serious answers only . Thanx for all replies
I'm not old, nor FT. But this is just from observing my FT. It's a good move if you want to move up the ladder and have connections to move up the ladder. One of my FT on cars is about to move up to center manager and he's going to keep going. But it's very difficult. When we were implementing Orion he was no joke working 80 hour weeks. He'd come in at 2 and do dispatch with the dispatch sup, work all day and leave at 8. There is no overtime for that. You get your salary and that's it. The hours are long and the stress is high. But if you want to move about FT On Car/Sort Sup it can turn into a lucrative gig.

Employee relations is also big too. Are you in a center with a big distrust of management? If so you may end up hating your job because people will feel instant distrust of you. We don't have that so it makes the transition easier. But it's something to seriously consider. It's a heck of a lot harder to make things work if your employees hate you.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Good question.
I would not have stayed as a Union employee for sure.
There are lots of other companies out there.
I probably would have left after getting out of college if the proposition is what it is today.
If I was offered a Sup position, I would work in that position for a couple of years.
UPS Management looks really good on a resume.
Thats the answer