Top pay as a driver

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, it's not stupid. It's harsh, but true. I worked preload 7 years. Some of my co-workers have been there over 12. They cherry-pick by the rules that change at a whim, who they want to drive. If you had unloaded 13 feeders a day for several peaks, at a building that averages 6 a day. I could go on and on. Street meat. Cold, but so is not having insurance because of your :censored2: supervisor.

Don't kid yourself--it was a stupid comment.

Re-Raise

I started driving March 2009 as an off the street driver. What will my top pay as a driver be. I am currently at 20.75. Looked in the contract but didn't see the amount. I ask because someone said it's along the lines of $22.

Back to the original post... How could you be driving since 2009 and not know what drivers at top scale make?

At my center there are other drivers around who know the answer to this question.

Apparently the "someone" he asked was about $10 an hour off.

What is his next question ... Will I get any overtime?

yeaalabama1212

The reason I asked was because a ctr mgr at another center said I would be locked in at $22, which I had never heard of. Before this I knew top pay currently is +/- $30 an hour. And when I say off the street, I mean part time sup to driver.

Re-Raise

The reason I asked was because a ctr mgr at another center said I would be locked in at $22, which I had never heard of. Before this I knew top pay currently is +/- $30 an hour. And when I say off the street, I mean part time sup to driver.

Why would a ctr mgr at another center be telling you what you will max out at? Do you have a center manager at your own center?

Have you gained seniority yet?

yeaalabama1212

Yes I have reached seniority. Yes I have a center manager at my center. The reason he mentioned it is we were having a conversation dealing with something else, and that came up.

menotyou

bella amicizia
How about co-worker on equal footing?
Equal footing in my eyes has to be earned. Some Joe Schmoe walks in off the street taking a job that one of my co-workers has waited years for is not on equal footing. Joe didn't unload feeders at -20. Joe didn't load 5 trucks at the head of the belt. Joe hasn't had to earn his way out of the feeder.

Dave and Over,
You have earned your place in the co-worker standings. But, don't expect the ones who have suffered the years of pain the can be inflicted upon one at UPS, to jump for joy when Management pulls out the "street meat" card and screws the ones who earned that spot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Equal footing in my eyes has to be earned. Some Joe Schmoe walks in off the street taking a job that one of my co-workers has waited years for is not on equal footing. Joe didn't unload feeders at -20. Joe didn't load 5 trucks at the head of the belt. Joe hasn't had to earn his way out of the feeder.

Dave and Over,
You have earned your place in the co-worker standings. But, don't expect the ones who have suffered the years of pain the can be inflicted upon one at UPS, to jump for joy when Management pulls out the "street meat" card and screws the ones who earned that spot.

Yawn.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave and Over,

To be blunt, I couldn't care less whether we are on equal footing in your eyes or whether I have earned my place as a co-worker. I also couldn't care less whether my being hired upsets someone who has earned that spot. I was hired under the provisions of the same contract that you are governed by, qualified, gained my seniority and have been doing this job to the best of my ability for 22 years. Now, if UPS and the Teamsters decide that new hires should work in the hub before becoming a driver, perhaps they should amend the contract as such but, until that time, outside hires are as much an employee as you are, regardless of whether we have loaded packages in to a trailer or package car or not.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You are the one who brought up equal footing. Your chest puffing reminds me of a quote from a famous play-
"the lady doth protest too much, methinks." Hamlet Act 3, Scene 2, 222-230

To be blunt- if you didn't care, you wouldn't have been offended by my comment, or have spent so much time protesting that it doesn't bother you.