Top pay as a driver

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I get irritated by those who think that you have to work on the inside in order to become a driver. There is nothing in the preload and metro that translates to the driver position, especially now with PAS/EDD.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What are casual/temp driving top rates in the Southern Region (which is what I am guessing UA_Rolltide is a part of). It may be $22/hr, however I didn't check that out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
wait for it..any second now
I get irritated by those who think that you have to work on the inside in order to become a driver. There is nothing in the preload and metro that translates to the driver position, especially now with PAS/EDD.

I'm shocked!

So predictable Stuckupstate. Your personal bias and subconscious attempt to validate your own situation is a little obvious there

menotyou

bella amicizia
Considering I started before PAS/EDD, it is called "paying your dues". You try loading with a load chart and a stop counter. How did this company get to where it is? By promoting from within. Why do they try, to this day, to hire management from within, before going outside? Not to mention, it is good way to gauge your work ethic. I started at 35, at 5'3" and 115lbs. Men who were 100lbs heavier and 15 years younger couldn't handle the same job I was doing. Paying your dues. I don't really care if you think I am right. I do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Considering I started before PAS/EDD, it is called "paying your dues". You try loading with a load chart and a stop counter. How did this company get to where it is? By promoting from within. Why do they try, to this day, to hire management from within, before going outside? Not to mention, it is good way to gauge your work ethic. I started at 35, at 5'3" and 115lbs. Men who were 100lbs heavier and 15 years younger couldn't handle the same job I was doing. Paying your dues. I don't really care if you think I am right. I do.

Why don't you call Brian this morning and suggest that the contract be amended to preclude outside hires or to require outside hires to work in the hub before going on road?

I have stated that working in the hub before going on road does give a greater appreciation of how hard inside employees work but loading packages on to a feeder or package car has no bearing on delivering those packages. That is not meant to minimize their jobs but it is the plain simple truth. I am no less of a driver for not having worked on the inside.

As I said earlier, I couldn't care less whether you think I earned my position or not. Dave.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why don't you call Brian this morning and suggest that the contract be amended to preclude outside hires or to require outside hires to work in the hub before going on road?

I have stated that working in the hub before going on road does give a greater appreciation of how hard inside employees work but loading packages on to a feeder or package car has no bearing on delivering those packages. That is not meant to minimize their jobs but it is the plain simple truth. I am no less of a driver for not having worked on the inside.

As I said earlier, I couldn't care less whether you think I earned my position or not. Dave.

Notice how every thread with off the street hire mentioned in it, you must bicker about it? You must care and are very sensitive to it, no way around it.

Also How do you know that you are no less a driver for not having worked inside? You never did it. A little presumptious. That's like me saying I'd be less of a driver coming in off the street, nonsense and can't be proven.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Equal footing in my eyes has to be earned. Some Joe Schmoe walks in off the street taking a job that one of my co-workers has waited years for is not on equal footing. Joe didn't unload feeders at -20. Joe didn't load 5 trucks at the head of the belt. Joe hasn't had to earn his way out of the feeder.

Dave and Over,
You have earned your place in the co-worker standings. But, don't expect the ones who have suffered the years of pain the can be inflicted upon one at UPS, to jump for joy when Management pulls out the "street meat" card and screws the ones who earned that spot.
I believe, whether you care or not, I stated that I think you have earned your spot. I wasn't talking about contract changes. I, simply, was stating a feeling some people, as has been confirmed here, who work inside, feel about outside help the first day through the door.
It hurts when you are the one being bumped. That's it. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, Dave.

As far as calling Brian for anything? Yeah, I'll get right on that.
Trish

Re-Raise

Off the street meat gets paid differently than insiders.

There is a difference. The part-timer who gains full-time seniority stays at his payscale until the progression scale is higher.

I also worked seven years part-time before I went full-time. They hired another driver right after me from the outside. Way before edd/pas and there was a huge difference.

From preloading I knew every bulk stop on every route in the center and how each of the routes were set up. I had also done a lot of air work and had more experience with the DIAD.

They kept him in town on the same route while they sent on a different rural route every week for a while.

I can still remember that one time I had to tell him the odd numbered homes are always on one side of the road and the even are on the other. He also was writing up problems with his package car and leaving the book in the car instead of bringing it in for the mechanic.

He is definitely an equal now after 20 plus years but he really was raw back then. Many off the street hires at our center didn't make it.

I say "street meat" and I get my ass chewed. You call him an a-hole and get no response? What? Did I ride the short bus and lick the windows? Why am I special?

I saw the post last night and the poster didn't use profanity he called him a more On. I spelled it this way so as not too offend anyone.

curiousbrain

There are one or two off the street hires in the center at which I am employed in, and they spend most of their time, when they are not delivering packages or PCM'ing, defending themselves from those who were promoted from some other position. I enjoy a good natured ribbing as much as the next person, although I am not a driver (have been a helper a few times but that is not even in the same league as driving) so I keep my mouth shut.

I frequently load different cars on different days, and as an observer from afar, I do have to note that these individuals probably develop a huge resentment because they are looked on with almost constant skepticism and ... borderline disdain. That is not to say all "inside" drivers have this view, but the ones who do tend to take it to the extreme and I can understand how some people would react sharply when even lightly kidded about it after a certain amount of time. And that is not to say that this is how Upstate feels or what not, as he is a grown man and can/does speak for himself; just a relevant thought I had.

Just what I see, though.