top rate

W

westsideworma

varies slightly by area of the country

at my building I believe its $28.14

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think its kind of BS that even someone asking us a SIMPLE question like how much a senior driver makes, can't be answered. How can there be a supplement that changes a FT'ers pay. I make $28.14. If someone is making more than me, doing the same job I'm doing, how is this not on my business agent's dartboard. What's the sense of a universal contract then ?

(and I know its only a matter of pennies, its the principle of it)

Last edited:

Mike Hawk

I think its kind of BS that even someone asking us a SIMPLE question like how much a senior driver makes, can't be answered. How can there be a supplement that changes a FT'ers pay. I make $28.14. If someone is making more than me, doing the same job I'm doing, how is this not on my business agent's dartboard. What's the sense of a universal contract then ?

(and I know its only a matter of pennies, its the principle of it)
I think hourly pay differs because the amount that is put into pension differs. One local might want better pensions in exchange for less take home pay.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think hourly pay differs because the amount that is put into pension differs. One local might want better pensions in exchange for less take home pay.

Valid statement !

But would it not be easier to keep all salaries the same, then if you want more later on in retirement, put whatever you want in your 401K
Why mess around with the numbers ? Seems logical

Trust me, I'm just ranting, not arguing about it.

I've always thought that the difference was because of cost of living expenses across the country. But I don't see how a couple of pennies could make a difference.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I always thought We got more in So.Cal. because of the extreme weather we have here.:wink2:

Daily Records and Averages at weather.com
Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg. Precip
January 68.0° friend 42.0° friend 3.00 in
February 69.0° friend 43.0° friend 2.91 in
March 68.0° friend 45.0° friend 2.67 in
April 71.0° friend 48.0° friend 0.81 in
May 73.0° friend 53.0° friend 0.32 in
June 77.0° friend 57.0° friend 0.14 in
July 81.0° friend 60.0° friend 0.08 in
August 82.0° friend 61.0° friend 0.02 in
September 82.0° friend 59.0° friend 0.14 in
October 78.0° friend 53.0° friend 0.46 in
November 74.0° friend 44.0° friend 0.93 in
December 70.0° friend 40.0° friend 1.73 in

sendagain

Just try buying a house in So Cal if you think that pay is great. Some drivers have moved more than sixty miles away from their hub just to find a house they can afford to own. Now, with gas prices being what they are, they are getting hammered with fuel costs to get to work.

upsgrunt

I imagine it's much worse in So Cal, but it is painful here in So Ill as well. Everything has gone up, and even though I own my house, the payments keep going up because the taxes keep going up. Without comparing apples to oranges, or in our case oranges to cow crap, the pinch is being felt everywhere.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Just try buying a house in So Cal if you think that pay is great. Some drivers have moved more than sixty miles away from their hub just to find a house they can afford to own. Now, with gas prices being what they are, they are getting hammered with fuel costs to get to work.

The housing market is a joke down there. No question. Do you think you should make $5.00 extra an hour more than me because of it? Shoulda went to college then.

John19841

The housing market is a joke down there. No question. Do you think you should make $5.00 extra an hour more than me because of it? Shoulda went to college then.

I actually tend to think he should. Being from a high cost of living area myself, I can definitely agree that a driver in say NYC should be given more than a driver somewhere in the middle of nowhere Alabama, where housing is affordable. Where I am, prices for homes start in the 300K's. Someone living where the avg. home price is 100K and avg. income is 28K is living like a king with this job, IMHO. Where I am, you can get by, but without a second income, barely. Not saying drivers in those lower cost of living areas should make any less, just that there should be some stipulation for areas where the cost of living is ridiculous. $.15 COLA just doesn't cut it.

upsgrunt

Then you would have to go farther than housing and give me more money because I can't buy lobstah as cheap as BigBabooba and covemaster because they live closer to the ocean. See where I'm going with this?

John19841

You're comparing lobster to housing? I'm going to assume you're just trying to make a point, but in case not... Lobster is not something you need. A place to live is. But I'm sure you understand that; right?

Anyway, I think it pretty much goes without saying that when the price of housing in an area is higher, then the cost of MOST (maybe not lobster) other things in that area are also higher.

upsgrunt

Yeah, I realize that-I was born at night, but not last night. Supply and demand also play a role and the fact that demand is high means you pay more; but I'm sure you know that right?

John19841

Yeah, I realize that-I was born at night, but not last night. Supply and demand also play a role and the fact that demand is high means you pay more; but I'm sure you know that right?

Right, but I'm not sure what you're getting at? Besides the lobster thing :happy-very: