top rate

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by gdm123, Jul 11, 2008.

1. gdm123

gdm123 New Member

what is the current top rate for a driver who has reached the 30 month mark?
  2. barrycold

barrycold New Member

i think its 28.12
  3. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

28.29 or 28.38 or something ???

According to

"The Best Pay
    UPS drivers typically earn about US$28 an hour (straight time). "
  4. varies slightly by area of the country

at my building I believe its $28.14
  5. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

$28.18 here

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

I think its kind of BS that even someone asking us a SIMPLE question like how much a senior driver makes, can't be answered. How can there be a supplement that changes a FT'ers pay. I make $28.14. If someone is making more than me, doing the same job I'm doing, how is this not on my business agent's dartboard. What's the sense of a universal contract then ?

(and I know its only a matter of pennies, its the principle of it)
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  7. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk New Member

I think hourly pay differs because the amount that is put into pension differs. One local might want better pensions in exchange for less take home pay.

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

Valid statement !

But would it not be easier to keep all salaries the same, then if you want more later on in retirement, put whatever you want in your 401K
    Why mess around with the numbers ? Seems logical

Trust me, I'm just ranting, not arguing about it.
  9. mpeedy

mpeedy Member

28.81 here
  10. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

I've always thought that the difference was because of cost of living expenses across the country. But I don't see how a couple of pennies could make a difference.
  11. Pkgrunner

Pkgrunner Service Provider

I always thought We got more in So.Cal. because of the extreme weather we have here.:wink2:

Daily Records and Averages at
    Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg. Precip
    January 68.0° F 42.0° F 3.00 in
    February 69.0° F 43.0° F 2.91 in
    March 68.0° F 45.0° F 2.67 in
    April 71.0° F 48.0° F 0.81 in
    May 73.0° F 53.0° F 0.32 in
    June 77.0° F 57.0° F 0.14 in
    July 81.0° F 60.0° F 0.08 in
    August 82.0° F 61.0° F 0.02 in
    September 82.0° F 59.0° F 0.14 in
    October 78.0° F 53.0° F 0.46 in
    November 74.0° F 44.0° F 0.93 in
    December 70.0° F 40.0° F 1.73 in
  12. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

I could stand some of that "Extreme"
  13. sendagain

sendagain Member

Just try buying a house in So Cal if you think that pay is great. Some drivers have moved more than sixty miles away from their hub just to find a house they can afford to own. Now, with gas prices being what they are, they are getting hammered with fuel costs to get to work.
  14. upsgrunt

upsgrunt Well-Known Member

I imagine it's much worse in So Cal, but it is painful here in So Ill as well. Everything has gone up, and even though I own my house, the payments keep going up because the taxes keep going up. Without comparing apples to oranges, or in our case oranges to cow crap, the pinch is being felt everywhere.

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

The housing market is a joke down there. No question. Do you think you should make $5.00 extra an hour more than me because of it? Shoulda went to college then.
  16. John19841

John19841 Member

I actually tend to think he should. Being from a high cost of living area myself, I can definitely agree that a driver in say NYC should be given more than a driver somewhere in the middle of nowhere Alabama, where housing is affordable. Where I am, prices for homes start in the 300K's. Someone living where the avg. home price is 100K and avg. income is 28K is living like a king with this job, IMHO. Where I am, you can get by, but without a second income, barely. Not saying drivers in those lower cost of living areas should make any less, just that there should be some stipulation for areas where the cost of living is ridiculous. $.15 COLA just doesn't cut it.
  17. upsgrunt

Then you would have to go farther than housing and give me more money because I can't buy lobstah as cheap as BigBabooba and covemaster because they live closer to the ocean. See where I'm going with this?
  18. John19841

John19841 Member

You're comparing lobster to housing? I'm going to assume you're just trying to make a point, but in case not... Lobster is not something you need. A place to live is. But I'm sure you understand that; right?

Anyway, I think it pretty much goes without saying that when the price of housing in an area is higher, then the cost of MOST (maybe not lobster) other things in that area are also higher.
  19. upsgrunt

Yeah, I realize that-I was born at night, but not last night. Supply and demand also play a role and the fact that demand is high means you pay more; but I'm sure you know that right?
  20. John19841

John19841 Member

Right, but I'm not sure what you're getting at? Besides the lobster thing :happy-very: