top rate

browniehound

You're comparing lobster to housing? I'm going to assume you're just trying to make a point, but in case not... Lobster is not something you need. A place to live is. But I'm sure you understand that; right?

Anyway, I think it pretty much goes without saying that when the price of housing in an area is higher, then the cost of MOST (maybe not lobster) other things in that area are also higher.

I think what he is trying to say is, just because Lobster is $8lb a pound where you live, it doesn't mean your employer should adjust your pay so you can afford it. You should eat fish sticks instead.

If you can't afford a house close to the city then maybe you need to get a condo or something a "little ways" out.

We exist in a free market, capitalistic economy. There is no reason you should be entiled to a certain level comfort. Buy what you income allows and be happy. If you think you "deserve" a certain level of living, then I'm going to say you are a communist.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think what he is trying to say is, just because Lobster is $8lb a pound where you live, it doesn't mean your employer should adjust your pay so you can afford it. You should eat fish sticks instead.

If you can't afford a house close to the city then maybe you need to get a condo or something a "little ways" out.

We exist in a free market, capitalistic economy. There is no reason you should be entiled to a certain level comfort. Buy what you income allows and be happy. If you think you "deserve" a certain level of living, then I'm going to say you are a communist.

Communism, in its purest form, is perhaps the most ideal economic model to ever exist in modern time; however, it is alarming how far reality strayed from concept, much to the detriment of the Russian people.

brownrodster

There are a lot more opportunities for great incomes in larger metropolitan areas. If you chose to become a UPS driver then you get paid appropriately for it. Want more money then get a better job !!!

Maybe I'm just lucky because UPS driver is way up there with the highest paid in my county... Our housing costs are moderate. Nice homes for 200-300k. Nothing under 200k except condos.

John19841

Wow, I really thought someone here would agree with me.

I guess what my real problem is not with UPS's pay, but with income in general. The price of living in a lot of areas has gotten so out of whack with reality, that it's very hard for a young person today to enjoy the lifestyle that their parents had. Where I live, the average home price has increased 9X what it was in the late Eighties...I'm still waiting for the average income to double.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I guess what my real problem is not with UPS's pay, but with income in general. The price of living in a lot of areas has gotten so out of whack with reality, that it's very hard for a young person today to enjoy the lifestyle that their parents had. Where I live, the average home price has increased 9X what it was in the late Eighties...I'm still waiting for the average income to double.

Right on. This will never equal out (income vs economy). Those living in cheap areas making 28.15 or whatever it is sure are alot more comfortable than living in cities. this is why an education and also experience in skilled positions trumps anything else, because it moves with you.

Cementups

Box Monkey
ryan, it is amazing that you and others would complain about income. even though it is tough to make a good income in high populs areas peopel still move to those areas. There's only so much to go around.

Ryan, ask your Dad or Mom how many years they were married before they had the nice house and the lifestyle that you want. I'm willing to bet the answer is more years than you have been supporting yourself. I always thought it was amazing that younger people wanted NOW what it took their parents 20 years to achieve. This isn't a slam toward you or any other younger person, just an observation.

rod

Retired 22 years
Retired 2001 ------------income $3,000 a month
7 years later 2008--------income $3,000 a month

Plan for your future because there won't be any COLA,s or yearly raises from UPS or the Teamsters after you retire. :peaceful: Oh and yes you have to pay income tax on retirement $$$ contrary to what a the rookie driver believed that delivered to my house a few days ago.:wink2:

gdm123

when you reach top rate of 28.15 or whatever it is then, how often do you get a raise, and how much is the raise when you get it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

when you reach top rate of 28.15 or whatever it is then, how often do you get a raise, and how much is the raise when you get it?

Raises are contractually negotiated and used to be annual but this contract has changed that so that 1/2 of the raise is given Aug 1 and the remainder Jan 1. FT drivers are supposed to get $.35 Aug 1 and $.35 Jan 1. We'll see if that happens or it is goes toward H/W.

browniehound

A bit of an exaggeration. 60 miles NW of Boston you're well into NH and it's 1/2 to 1/4 the price of metro Boston with loads of land.

I understand NH property takes are steep. Add the price of gas and now I'm not sure I want to live in NH. My work, firends, family and places I frequent are in metro-Boston. I'm talking 12 mile radius of the city.

I know its affordable with lots of land, and no sales tax, but I don't want to live in NH. I think this is how most people feel or property values would be higher.

If I could transfer to the Nashua or Manchester center at UPS and pay no state income take it would be worth considering a move to NH.

I like being close to the city for the nightlife and sports while at the same time like to be driving distance to spend weekends camping, fishing, skiing, snow mobiling, boating, sight-seeing in NH, VT, and the wonderful state of Maine. It has the highest population of moose outside of Alaska. These are facinating creatures that I can never get tired of spotting anywhere!

Its awesome to be in the city at 6 AM and then a short 5 hours drive to norhtern Maine by 11 and I'm in complete wilderness fly fishing and not 1 un-natural sound. AMAZING!

browniehound

Sorry, wasn't really thinking. I know I said miles, but I was thinking minutes (commute time).

Understood, but 60 mile/minutes is almost the same thing, isn't it? If you're going 65 MPH you will travel around 65 miles in 60 minutes, correct?

Also, 60 miles up interstate 93 will get you to around Concord NH, correct? If I'm not mistaken there is a sign a few miles N of rt128 (about 12 miles N of Boston) that says "Concord NH 50".

I actually forgot what we were talking about here, LOL. Sorry!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Understood, but 60 mile/minutes is almost the same thing, isn't it? If you're going 65 MPH you will travel around 65 miles in 60 minutes, correct?

Also, 60 miles up interstate 93 will get you to around Concord NH, correct? If I'm not mistaken there is a sign a few miles N of rt128 (about 12 miles N of Boston) that says "Concord NH 50".

I actually forgot what we were talking about here, LOL. Sorry!

LOL try commuting from Boston to Keene, or Concord, even Manchester or Nashua 6pm any weekday.. 2-3 hours at best 60 miles. It'd take you at least 1.5 hours to ASH...

As close as 25-30 miles from Boston you can buy 2x what you could downtown Boston - in NH, or even outside I495.

Same goes for NYC, DC etc etc.

But my point is you can work in CHEMA and be very close to NH and buy a home in NH for 300k that costs 800k in Boston.

If you want to be in the center of the universe, by all means spend that 800k. Otherwise us regular folk will be out in the boonies commuting.

Last edited: