Top UPS Management "Doing as they Say"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In contrast to the US Automakers flying to Washington in their private jets or Obama flying to Denver to sign the stimulus bill, UPS top management held our cost down for the Annual Managers meeting.
Scott Davis had them combine it with the last Quarterly Board Meeting in Atlanta and no one flew in for the meeting.
They participated by conference call if they could not drive to the meeting.
I was very impressed with this level of real leadership that saved the company millions of dollars and showed top management was living by the same standards that they are asking everyone else to adhere to.

What have you seen in your area where management is showing leadership by doing as they say?

raceanoncr

Well, I just heard from a top local source (since I'm sitting home on dis right now), that our local district, to avoid paying additional state tax on tractors that are only used in-state just towed a tractor approximately 120 miles to a border to be driven another 20 or so miles across state lines to show that it's used "interstate". But wait, (as Billy Mazing would say) there's more.

That tractor had to be towed back to its home domicle and replace on the hook with another tractor that's only used in-state and repeat the process.

Saving money? Yeah, I really applaude the conference call.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Well, I just heard from a top local source (since I'm sitting home on dis right now), that our local district, to avoid paying additional state tax on tractors that are only used in-state just towed a tractor approximately 120 miles to a border to be driven another 20 or so miles across state lines to show that it's used "interstate". But wait, (as Billy Mazing would say) there's more.

That tractor had to be towed back to its home domicle and replace on the hook with another tractor that's only used in-state and repeat the process.

Sounds like another example of UPS stepping over a dollar to save a dime. Here they aren't really doing much. They try to hold everyone to 9.5 but after a couple days of missed packages on half a dozen routes (we only have 15 routes here), they end up paying out 11.5 hour days to get everyone caught up.

sano

In contrast to the US Automakers flying to Washington in their private jets or Obama flying to Denver to sign the stimulus bill, UPS top management held our cost down for the Annual Managers meeting.
Scott Davis had them combine it with the last Quarterly Board Meeting in Atlanta and no one flew in for the meeting.
I was very impressed with this level of real leadership that saved the company millions of dollars and showed top management was living by the same standards that they are asking everyone else to adhere to.

What have you seen in your area where management is showing leadership by doing as they say?
I look at this as very positive. The only issue i have is that I am reading about it here instead of the business page. It would seem that this type of information would have a good impact on our stock price. A company that makes these kind of decisions is a company that is not as likely to make the decisions Detroit is making right now (bankruptcy or slow death)

Bad Gas!

I agree with JD...UPS mgt is cutting routes while packing the crap out of surviving routes.I'm running more stops, planning to much less hours on paper than ever before...

The morale is at an all-time low.....Hey, it's in God's hands.i just do the best I can do..

Red Dawn

hope ups buys back stock..like it better before they went public...although i know they had to in order to grow here and mostly over seas....just liked how things ran back then.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
hope ups buys back stock..like it better before they went public...although i know they had to in order to grow here and mostly over seas....just liked how things ran back then.

I guess those day are gone forever.
Its hard to decide what is important to hold onto when your eyes are on the horizon.

satellitedriver

In this day in age, nothing can be done face to face that can not be done via the electronic media and save the travel costs.
IE: FAX legal documents, live time video conference, voice only phone calls, ect....
Members of my family, have to fly to Japan, China, Saudi Arabia and points unknown, for a one day greet and meet, belly button bump.
Even though the contracts they deal with are in the multi-millions, I asked them why?
They tell me the customers expect it and it is a sign of respect.
Power trip, third world mentality, in my humble perspective.
I commend that the top management of UPS makes an "attempt" to conserve money, but maybe, IE should do a time study on corporate.
GPS them, like they do the drivers.
Make them account for every second spent on their job, as they do the drivers.
Accuse them of stealing from the company, when every second they work can not be accounted for, as they demand and enforce from drivers.
These are the standards they should meet.

Not much,
they only
try and meet the morning numbers handed down by the DM.
It just becomes a game of musical chairs.Drivers are over dispatched, call the center for help. Drivers swap stops, cell phone each other and make it work.
At least, that is the way it happens in my small niche of UPS.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Not much,
they only
try and meet the morning numbers handed down by the DM.
It just becomes a game of musical chairs.Drivers are over dispatched, call the center for help. Drivers swap stops, cell phone each other and make it work

And that, my freind, is why it never will change.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We had our local panel on thursday at the union hall. Management usually all eat lunch together and discuss the cases, but this thursday they broke up into groups and sat seperate. There must be a included gratuity for parties of 6 or more! Way to save on the 15% tip! lol