torn ligaments in my shoulder

LeddySS98

I have 3 torn ligaments in my shoulder LCA from a mtn biking accident I was in last week... The Dr thinks I can probably be back to work (package Driver) within 6 to 8 weeks if i just do physical therapy... and put off doing the surgery years later if needed... the muscles compensating for the ligaments as I understand it... Or I can have surgery and be out for 6 months....

How hard is it to work at our level after a shoulder injury... or is it just better to get cut... I'm hoping to avoid the knife unless that's been the more successful choice for other drivers...

oldngray

nowhere special
I have 3 torn ligaments in my shoulder LCA from a mtn biking accident I was in last week... The Dr thinks I can probably be back to work (package Driver) within 6 to 8 weeks if i just do physical therapy... and put off doing the surgery years later if needed... the muscles compensating for the ligaments as I understand it... Or I can have surgery and be out for 6 months....

How hard is it to work at our level after a shoulder injury... or is it just better to get cut... I'm hoping to avoid the knife unless that's been the more successful choice for other drivers...

I worked with a torn rotator cuff. It was sore for months and I had to be careful but I could work. I just had to be very careful about using one arm over my head. It eventually healed enough on its own without surgery like about half of the cases do.

Foamer Pyle

My right shoulder is screwed. If I didn't have a power steering car, I would have to have surgery or quit. I have to always be mindful when working, as it can get aggravated for weeks, before it settled back down. Sliding packages on the shelf is the worst thing I can do to aggravate it. I will not slide em up anymore, but I don't drive a p10 either.

jbg77

I work preload year round and am driving thru christmas. About 2 year ago i had labrum surgery and was out of preload for 6 months. It ia difficult to get the strength back and is very sore about a year afterwards when exerting. Now other than a few scars and i dont do benchpress anymore i cant even tell ive had surgery.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had surgery on both shoulders and still do the PT exercises to keep them strong. I was sick for a week and got out of the habit of doing them. My shoulders started getting sore and I started doing the exercises again and things are going well.

I put up with deteriorating shoulders for about 3 years. Because it started gradually, I did not realize how bad it had become. By the time I went off work, I was so crabby from being in so much pain that my wife and I almost divorced.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

UPSJedi2112

I blast Rush in my truck.
Dislocated my shoulder pretty badly about fifteen yrs ago. They had to put me under to get it back in the socket. It healed up, was off for 3-4 wks. It pops out about once a yr now. It's never gotten back to "right". Have been told that having surgery is the only way it'll ever be "right". I just suck up a few days of soreness when I pop it now, and am very careful grabbing the seat belt with my left arm.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You definitely have to slow down as you get older and watch how ya do things on this job. Cant do the 25 year old turbo thing everyday at work if you know what I mean lol.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I tore a rotator cuff April 25, 2013. The reason I remember the date, it was the last date I physically worked for UPS. I went thru several months of therapy, but there was something wrong. I agreed to have surgery and had it on August 29th. Not only was there a tear, but there was nerve damage as well as a calcium buildup. UPS told me I should be healed up and ready to go back to work. I wasn't. I had 38 years in and retired. My shoulder affects me to this day. I still can't sleep on a bed. I sleep sitting up on the couch. I can't change a light bulb. Bottom line, I might do it different. I'd probably wait as long as I possibly can to have surgery. Just my .02. Good luck.

O/C

Generally it happens after 50, those years of lifting, walking at a brisk rate and long hours will slowly destroy your body. This was a master plan from the day you hired in, to bust you up before you are able to collect a full pension. Work smarter not harder and leave in one piece.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Generally it happens after 50, those years of lifting, walking at a brisk rate and long hours will slowly destroy your body. This was a master plan from the day you hired in, to bust you up before you are able to collect a full pension. Work smarter not harder and leave in one piece
I showed them. Not only did I get my full pension, but SS disability as well. In retrospect, I would trade it in to be able to get around easily in my twilight years. The sackers at Kroger ask if I need them to help me load my car with the groceries. Depends on how I feel. Sometimes they do. At least I'm still kickin'.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is why most UPS drivers need the option to retire at an earlier age than most. The wear and tear on the body from years of abuse.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I am subject to multiple parts of the body hurting on a daily basis .
My foot pain has come back , my back goes out almost daily , the legs are sometimes not moving when I want them too , neck pains , and lack of sleep .
Just a normal day at UPS .
And yes I will be getting a full pension , a 35 yr one .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

25 years in and I still haven't slowed down.

Woke up yesterday morning and couldn't put any weight on my right foot, which was red and swollen. Went to the ER, was checked in and then transferred to their non-emergent clinic (Fast Track). X-rays and lab work all came back negative. The diagnosis was plantar fasciitis and the treatment was an anti-inflammatory and insoles. I was also given a work release through 12/31, if needed. Foot is feeling much better today and I fully expect to be on road tomorrow.