Tornado in Tuscaloosa

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Wife of driver in California. How about we all get something going here...
Every driver donate $5.00 or more to the UPS drivers in affected areas so they all have something as I am sure the centers were wiped out and the businesses and homes they deliver to. How can we do this? Let me know. Stay safe all.

I have often thought about this and pondered how we (fellow BCer's) could accomplish setting up a foundation for such purposes.

I consulted a close friend's father under previous circumstances...
They have a family foundation and yet he said my strength is that I am a UPSer.

A great idea.
And it is what we are all about as UPSers.

We work for an awesome company.
We, UPS, respond.
We, all of us, are a force, a collective, we are more powerful than mother nature and stronger than an earthquake.

We are witness to the UPS response to other tragedies.
This tragedy is not concentrated to a city or even a center.
This tragedy hit all employees.
This is wide spread, this is six states and I can only image how many delivery areas...

It takes time to gather information...
We do not know how many UPSer's impacted...
We do not know how many lives shattered by a powerful gust of wind...

UPS will respond.

But for now...
  • Volunteer
  • Donate Cash
  • Pray
Regardless if you love or hate the United Way.
The United Way is a source coordinating monies for relief efforts.
Regardless if you give to the United Way or not.

http://www.211.org/

Right now.
This is the best resource for help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Tuscaloosa driver obviously didn't use his hand brake; obvious roll away. Hope he coded out the time talking to reporter as lunch.

You know what they say about first impressions being lasting ones? I hope this is not the case with you based on your first post. Poor taste in light of the situation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

tornadoes are scary,, they can pop up almost instantly ,,i would sleep in a storm cellar if i lived in a prone area,, good news tho,, hurricane season is here!!

When I was in the military we spent four years in Texas. This was our first experience with tornados. I can recall when the first tornado watch was posted on TV I grabbed the kids and we went in to a hallway in the middle of the house. After a while we became accustomed to the watches and only got concerned when the watches became warnings.

Give me 3' of snow and below zero temps anyday.

Re-Raise

You know what they say about first impressions being lasting ones? I hope this is not the case with you based on your first post. Poor taste in light of the situation.

I can see how many of us go there in our heads after seeing the company always placing blame on the driver. It was the first reaction of many of the drivers I showed the link to at work.

I think we are all thankful the driver was okay.

lovemyupser

Here is the story that was posted on upsers.com. I am just happy he made it out alive and well.

Surviving the Storm

ncrupdate135.jpg

Tuscaloosa UPSer survives historic tornado.

For many, Tuscaloosa is simply “T-Town.” A city made famous by the local state university and its winning tradition. In a town familiar with celebrating what has been won, April 27 will be remembered as a day in which so much was lost. On that day, the “T” stood for something ominous and tragic, a tornado for the ages.
Humbled
Tuscaloosa Delivery Driver James Jones, or Jimmy as he’s known in the center, witnessed the sound and fury as the tornado passed directly over him.
Only a mile from making it back to UPS’s Tuscaloosa facility that day, Jimmy realized the approaching storm wasn’t an ordinary one.
448+x336+Tuscaloosa+Tornado+4+27+2011+010.JPG

“I could see the clouds and lightning to my right as it started to hail, but I didn’t see the tornado until it was almost on top of me,” says Jimmy. “When I saw it, there wasn’t much time.”
“It” as we now know, was one of the most devastating and long-lived tornadoes in recorded U.S. history. Tuscaloosa was near the beginning of the tornado’s path of destruction that covered, at a minimum, parts of three states. First Mississippi, then Alabama and Georgia, felt the wrath of this enormous, mile-wide, tornado.
“It was a humbling experience,” says Jimmy, his voice cracking with emotion. “The Lord was right there with me. I have a purpose to be here. It wasn’t luck that I survived.”
In a matter of seconds
“When I first saw the tornado, I couldn’t tell for sure it was headed toward me. I saw an overpass ahead and remembered seeing those storm-chaser shows where people take cover under them. When I realized it was coming straight at me, I stopped my package car underneath the overpass, removed the keys, and ran as fast as I could up the hill to get under it.” Jimmy continues, “The wind was so hard I almost didn’t make it. It was only a matter of seconds….”
Jimmy grabbed onto a support beam beneath the bridge and held on. “I could feel the wind pulling me and debris hitting my back. It was so loud, almost deafening, and it seemed to last for an entire minute.”
When the tornado passed, Jimmy came out from the small ledge where he had held onto the bridge, and shot the amazing photograph above as the tornado continued its destructive path into Tuscaloosa. The world around him had changed. Only then did he realize that the package car he had parked on the southbound side of the highway was now crumpled upside-down in a northbound lane.
“Other people had stopped where I did, but they didn’t make it,” says Jimmy. “They never made it out of their cars.”
Three other motorists in the exact same location lost their lives.
UPS Driver Survives Deadly Tuscaloosa Tornado (Storm Chaser video - Internet access required)
Most important stop
Experts now speculate the super-cell tornado was an EF-4 or EF-5 on the Enhanced Fujita scale, but none of that really matters to Jimmy. He realizes how fortunate and blessed he is to have been in the killer’s path and lived to tell the tale.
“I remember praying that the tornado didn’t hit our building (UPS),” Jimmy says. “When management arrived, I told them that I was sorry about the package car. They told me the car didn’t really matter. They were just thankful that I was alive.”
It isn’t surprising that Jimmy was concerned about his vehicle and his customers’ packages, or that from years of routine he had the presence of mind to pull the keys as he ran for cover. A recent Circle of Honor inductee, Jimmy is proud to be a UPSer.
“I don’t take my job for granted because it’s an honor to say that I work for UPS,” he says. “I feel bad about my customers’ packages and hate that my package car was destroyed….”
Putting those thoughts aside, Jimmy realizes there are more important things on a day like April 27.
“Like they always tell us at work, the most important stop of the day is when you get home safe. I know how true that is today.”

lovemyupser

We live in North Alabama and also hit with these storms. The amazing thing with these wonderful drivers is they never slowed down the day the storms hit and the days after. I had the news on all day until the power went out. Every time I heard that there was another tornado on the ground I was calling my husband letting him know where it was and what the storm was doing. When I heard there was one near him I called and there was no answer. When that happens your heart stops. I was able to get a hold of him a while later and he said that he was driving by the mall and parked his truck and went to the underground parking for cover. Luckily he was fine and his truck was fine also. UPS here did as best they could without power to get packages out to their customers. Without power they started there day late and came in early due to a county wide curfew. My husband was telling me once the center got a generator the center seemed to run a little normal. On Monday the center looked like it was peak season again. Rental trucks lined the yard and trailer every where full of packages. My husband told me that driver's and loaders from other centers came to help get the 900% of packages they had sitting on the lot out to the customers. I can't thank these helpers enough for what they for our local center