Torture – Yes We Can?

wkmac

A recent Wall Street Journal piece describing the transition process as it relates to intelligence-gathering reveals we aren't going to see much change in this vitally important realm, the one in which the Bush administration truly made its blackest mark. This will "create tension within the Democratic party," we are told, apparently because even the worst party hacks will have a hard time going along with the revised Obama Doctrine on the issue of torture.
According to the Journal, Obama's advisors on intelligence matters are "centrists" in the Clinton mold and outright Republicans, who favor torture "with oversight." These, we are told, are the "pragmatists," likely candidates for positions in Obama's national security bureaucracy. "He's going to take a very centrist approach to these issues," avers Roger Cressey, who served as a counter-terrorism official under Clinton as well as Bush II.

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=13762

Meet the new Boss. Same as the old boss!

wkmac

D,

If you saw where Hoax worked you'd understand how he got such a big crack to begin with. :happy-very:

Hoax,

I'm gone on 2 weeks vacation so keep the neighborhood safe!
:wink2:

wkmac

And the media

Chev,

Does anyone hold a gun to our heads and force us to watch the media? There is an alternative media out there and the best weapon against the Big MSM (main street media) is to focus and advocate the alternative. Chris Matthews recently openly admitted his deal going forward would be to make Obama successful and since he's openly admitted this, I got no problem. In fact I appreciated his honesty and it helps me going forward to better understand from where he comes from when he makes public comments of issues. I think more media folks should follow Chris' lead so we all are better informed consumers of news if you will. For me, Chris' admission just reconfirmed what I already knew and therefore further justified my complete and total ignoring of all MSM for all practical purposes. They've made themselves illrelevant IMHO.

Whatever the media is these days, we still have a choice of not to listen and consider what they say. As Hoax rightly said, "we are our own worst enemies!"

Also continuing to vote for the same tired worthless 2 parties as we keep doing and expecting somethiing different (change) is the absolute of stupidity. The world no longer respects us because they know the truth that we are worthless, lazy, self-centered, maniacally destructive idoits!

chev

Nightcrawler
Chev,

Does anyone hold a gun to our heads and force us to watch the media?
Absolutely not. Hoax is right about us being our own worst enemies.

I guess I am trying to say it's too bad that so many people follow the media like sheep to slaughter. They hang on their every word and depend on media judgment to guide how they feel rather than being investigative and making informed decisions.

The world no longer respects us because they know the truth that we are worthless, lazy, self-centered, maniacally destructive idoits!

I care very little about what the world thinks about this GREAT country. (I still have pride for my country, just not all the citizens) It's a hell of a lot better than living in "I surrender" France. Yes, this country needs to get off it's rear and kick these fat cats out of Washington.
It's like sticking your hand in a fire, crying for an hour and doing it again because you forgot the pain already.

Last edited:

wkmac

Absolutely not. Hoax is right about us being our own worst enemies.

I guess I am trying to say it's too bad that so many people follow the media like sheep to slaughter. They hang on their every word and depend on media judgment to guide how they feel rather than being investigative and making informed decisions.

Very Nicely Said! Tip of the hat to you sir.

I care very little about what the world thinks about this GREAT country. (I still have pride for my country, just not all the citizens) It's a hell of a lot better than living in "I surrender" France. Yes, this country needs to get off it's rear and kick these fat cats out of Washington.
It's like sticking your hand in a fire, crying for an hour and doing it again because you forgot the pain already.

No argument there either. There was an old Sci-Fi movie from back in the early 80's (Dune) and there was a line form that movie I always found of interest. "Fear is the mind killer" and I found it interesting because when fear becomes the predominate force, rational and logical thought can easily get tossed to the side. Your description of "hand in the fire" ironically pictures a scene from the movie that pertians to a mindtrick with a hand in a box where sight based on false visual input causes the sense of feel to be tricked and thus evoking an emotional repsonse based on a original false premise. Even though you knew from logic what you saw was false, the emotions of fear made the pain seem real and therefore clouded your judgement as to the course of action.

I honestly believe our recent election was just such an exercise as people on bothsides voted as much or moreso out of fear than on positive ideals and principles or in this case logic and rational thought. I think in many respects fear won the day but can they now make us precieve the pain as something good and openly accept it and in fact welcome it. I do believe sadly they will be successful in such endeavors.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A little off thread, but here's another reason some people voted the way they did. I heard this on Neal Boortz this morning. And these people being interviewed were chosen by a OBama campaign worker!

How Obama Got Elected... Interviews With Obama Voters

wkmac

Now that was funny Scratch but the sad thing is you could do the same with McCain voters and it be equally funny.

I did read this today that gave me a bit of hope but how long it lasts I'm not sure.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rockwell/not-all-news-is-bad.html

The sad part is the quote of Bush's speech to Wall Street. Had he believed all that stuff all along and governed accordingly, we might be in a very different world today that might even include a dead Osama bin Laden. History has a cruel way of crushing dreams however.

:happy-very:

I guess it's the democrats turn to prove Lord Acton right yet again!

wkmac

Will Grigg @ Pro Liberate has written a very good article on Torture (specifically waterboarding) that does an excellent job of discussing the practice as it relates to America over the last 100 years.

He's against so I'll tell you that up front but his discussion of the practice's history is IMO very good and informative.

One of my favorite quotes from the piece is this:

The practice of torture reveals the elemental nature of the State even more effectively than does the summary killing of innocent people. The State is an entity claiming a monopoly of force over a given geographic region. And force, as Simone Weil so poignantly observed, is that mysterious influence “that turns anybody who is subjected to it into a thing.

For those of you who don't like Obama, Pelosi, Barney Frank, et al and fear all that you think they plan to do, give some thought to the above words. For the last 8 years and to some extent since 1994' you've sat in a comfort zone and roles were reversed and it was Obama supporters if you will who felt like you do now. Nothing but "A THING!"

The question is, do you continue the game of ping pong and being the ping pong ball or do you do something different?

:wink2: