Tough decisions ahead. Advice?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Doc Brown, Apr 15, 2016.

?

What do you think?

1. Stay union

23 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. Move on

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. Doc Brown

Doc Brown New Member

A Little about myself. I'am 26 years old and graduated from Cal Poly Pomona with a degree in Business Administration/Operations and Supply Chain Management almost 2 years ago. I have yet to find a decent job and I'm considering part time management to get some experience under my belt to help round out my resume. However, I am approaching my 5th year as a part time hourly and throwing away 5 years of seniority and the option of driving one day is weighing on me heavily. Granted I'm in socal and the wait is about 10 years right now.. I still feel like I would be opting out of solid backup plan. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

10 year wait as opposed to never? You're already half way there why give up free health care and a chance to make great money to go into paying for insurance, little to no advancement, constantly trying to reach unobtainable goals. Yea that sounds like a great idea.

3. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Put it this way, you can go into management anytime you want so don't make any rash decisions. Me personally, you could double my current pay as a top rate driver and I still wouldn't go into management. I don't allow people to walk all over me. They can do other things all over me but not walk.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

My advice is to start drinking heavily.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  5. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Have you looked into other jobs at UPS? Not everything at UPS involves loading and unloading packages, or delivering them.

6. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Whoooooopiiiiiish!

7. By The Book

Put in a transfer request to a nearby building that may have a shorter wait?

8. Indecisi0n

Some locals drop you to the bottom of the seniority list of where you transfer to.

9. By The Book

My bad, he's a part timer and would still be that with the transfer.

10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I am surprised that you have not been able to get a job in your degree field yet as it is a rapidly growing industry. Are you on Linkedin?

11. By The Book

Maybe a quit, rehire, off the street? Maybe he would hit the lottery first, I don't know.

12. Indecisi0n

Chances of that happening are slim to none. Just have to put in your time and wait it out.

13. By The Book

Hey Upstate, I was looking at an old pension thread and didn't want to resurrect it, what's the latest?

14. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We should hear more details by August but the rumors are 20% cuts for actives and even more for retirees.

15. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

First look into what other jobs UPS has available in your field of study .
    Some maybe F/T and/or you may have to
    move out of state .
    If you find something good , then do it .
    Life as a P/T with a slim chance of driving someday is not an option that looks appealing .

16. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

WHAT THE #$%^

17. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Ouch!

18. dookie stain

dookie stain Well-Known Member

As much as I complain about driving I think you should wait it out...I'm making more than most of my friends with college degrees and I'm still at bottom scale...10 years to drive though :censored2:

19. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

PT supervision is an absolute dead end. It's also BY FAR the absolute worst job at UPS.

20. braun von liefermeister

braun von liefermeister Will Contact ASAP

That's not true, I worked with a lot of PT sups over the years who got promoted, not only within operations but to I.E., finance, corporate.

It is the worst job at UPS though.