Tour approaching, can you offer some advice?

jbenedetto

I have a tour on Tuesday morning for the 4:30-8:30 shift at the Newington, VA facility. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect, and perhaps some tips for improving my odds of being hired. Anyone here familiar with the facility?

I currently work full-time, and need to work part-time in the morning for extra income and the good benefits.. It's going to be a hectic work schedule, and I know working at UPS is no easy task, but I look forward to the challenge.

Oh, and does anyone know if the standard health ins. for a part timer offers family coverage?

Thanks!

jb

sano

The tour is just that. They give you a walk around the building and explain the job. They asked me why I want the job and really did a good job of trying to talk us out of taking the job by saying how difficult and early it was.
My understanding is that the health insurance for employees kicks in after 12 months and the family health insurance kicks in after 18 month. Dental and vision coverage for employee and family is at 18 months.

Also, if you search this forum for "tour" or "insurance" you will get lots of information. Good luck.

rushfan

Welcome to UPS now...RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Just joking. If you're hired, expect an unexpected a call early in the morning to work on a moments notice. You'll probably get few and far between hours the first few times working, but that will change as your seniority grows.
You will work hard, probably unloading trailers first.

Way back when I started (15 years ago tomorrow), health care coverage was for you, your spouse, and dependents with a 100 dollar deductible per year.

It's not a bad gig if you can handle the hours, and the work.

jbenedetto

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize the benefits wouldn't take effect until 1 year of employment.. Unfortunately I don't have 18 months to wait; I need a quicker solution than UPS can offer..

After reading the forum for a little while, I find it difficult to understand why anyone would want to start working for UPS as a part-timer, now that it takes so long to get the benefits package.. For me the benefits are the only reason to consider such a grueling job.

jb

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize the benefits wouldn't take effect until 1 year of employment.. Unfortunately I don't have 18 months to wait; I need a quicker solution than UPS can offer..

After reading the forum for a little while, I find it difficult to understand why anyone would want to start working for UPS as a part-timer, now that it takes so long to get the benefits package.. For me the benefits are the only reason to consider such a grueling job.

...and that was the reason many people chose to work part time at UPS. These were people such as yourself with no insurance who worked here simply for the benefits. UPS was paying all of this money toward benefits which, for the most part, were for younger employees who did not take advantage or need to use these benefits. I happen to think it was a smart business move on their part to delay benefits for a year (18 months for family) for new employees.

jb

705red

Browncafe Steward

jb
While waiting a year for benefits does suck, it took 36 months from seniority to cover your family under the old contract. So yes it was extended about 10 months or so for individual coverage but cut by almost 20 months for family coverage.

InTheRed

The benefits thing has changed with every contract. When I started it was 9 months to coverage, then it went to 6 months for coverage and stayed there for quite some time. In between contracts (which I don't quite understand b/c there was never a lapse), it became 60 days for full coverage, and now it's 12 months for you 18 for your dependents.

I think a year is a bit long to wait, but that was one of the items on the bargaining table.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Now if you would have had a ups tracking label on that sign it would have been priiceless! Maybe some over 70 highlight tape?

UPSGUY72

Good luck. They are basically going to show you what you would be doing if they hire you. Don't ley anyone fool you, if you get hired your going work your a-- off. Its not hard work just relentless. After a while it becomes just like anything else routine.

If your get hired and want to keep the job remember to show up for work on time and everyday. The biggest thing that gets part-timers canned is not showing up for work.