Toyota quality going down

Status
Not open for further replies.

unionman

The situation is rare, according to Toyota, but can occur when accelerator pedal mechanisms become worn. The problem will usually develop gradually, Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said. The pedal may become harder to press and may become slower to return when released. In the worst cases, it may become stuck in a partially depressed position.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You left out the part where the dealers were told.....don't sell these 8 models.....

Toyota halts US sales of 8 recalled models

By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer Ken Thomas, Associated Press Writer 6 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Toyota Motor Co. Said Tuesday it was suspending U.S. Sales of eight recalled models to fix accelerator pedals that stick, the latest quality problem to confront the world's No. 1 automaker.
The "stop sale" involves a significant portion of Toyota's fleet and some of its most popular vehicles, including the Camry and Corolla. As part of the plan, Toyota is halting production at five manufacturing facilities for the week of Feb. 1 "to assess and coordinate activities." There are 2.3 million vehicles involved in the recall, which was announced last week.
"This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized," said Bob Carter, Toyota's group vice president and general manager.
The Japanese automaker said the sales suspension includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.
Aaron Bragman, an auto analyst for the consulting firm IHS Global Insight in Troy, Mich., said Toyota typically sells about 65,000 Camrys and Corollas per month, and the suspension of sales could strike the company's bottom line and reputation for quality.
"That's huge if they can't sell these and they don't have a fix identified. They need to go and get a solution to this fast," Bragman said.
Toyota sold more than 34,000 Camrys in December, making the midsize sedan America's best-selling car, with 3.4 percent of the market. Sales rose 38 percent from a year earlier. Sales of the Corolla and Matrix, a small sedan and a hatchback, totaled 34,220 last month, with 3.3 percent of the market and sales up nearly 55 percent from December of 2008.
It was unclear how long Toyota would suspend production of the vehicles. In an e-mail to employees, company officials said, "we don't know yet how long this pause will last but we will make every effort to resume production soon." Toyota officials did not immediately return phone messages.
Toyota said the company would stop producing vehicles at plants in Indiana, Kentucky, Texas and Canada. They said no other North American Toyota facility would be affected by the decision.
The auto company said the sales suspension would not affect Lexus or Scion vehicles. Toyota said the Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, would remain for sale.
Toyota said last week it was recalling 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. To fix accelerator pedals with mechanical problems that could cause them to become stuck.
That announcement followed a larger recall months earlier of 4.2 million vehicles because of problems with gas pedals becoming trapped under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration. That problem was the cause of several crashes, including some fatalities.

unionman

I work on cars quite a bit and I have noticed American car quality has been going up ever since the mid 90s and the foriegn cars have been going down.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I had that same problem last week in a P3; as the brake was applied the engine would speed up. A dap of grease solved that.

brett636

Toyota's response to this issue is typical of foreign car manufacturer. If this were GM the problem would not be addressed, lawsuits would have to get filed, and ultimatly GM would quietly release a TSB on the issue many years later and consider the problem fixed. Toyota comes out and immediately recalls all affected vehicles, and even halts sales of any vehicles on the lot until the problem is fixed. It shows integrity on the part of Toyota as there is no such thing as a perfect auto manufacturer, but the good ones are those who address their mistakes head on versus those who try to keep them hidden.

Another example of Toyota doing the right thing has to do with the 3.0L V6 that was put into their pickups and 4 runners from 1988-1995. They had a tendency to blow head gaskets due to the material of the gaskets used in the engine. You can go over to the toyota 4x4 boards and read of toyota putting brand new engines in trucks with 100k+ miles who had their head gaskets let go. You would never get that kind of service from a domestic auto manufacturer.

Oh, and BTW unionman, Toyota's brand Scion was rated #1 in quality by Consumer Reports. Do you want to know who was at the bottom? The welfare ridden brands of Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, and Cadillac.

unionman

Toyota's response to this issue is typical of foreign car manufacturer. If this were GM the problem would not be addressed, lawsuits would have to get filed, and ultimatly GM would quietly release a TSB on the issue many years later and consider the problem fixed. Toyota comes out and immediately recalls all affected vehicles, and even halts sales of any vehicles on the lot until the problem is fixed. It shows integrity on the part of Toyota as there is no such thing as a perfect auto manufacturer, but the good ones are those who address their mistakes head on versus those who try to keep them hidden.

Another example of Toyota doing the right thing has to do with the 3.0L V6 that was put into their pickups and 4 runners from 1988-1995. They had a tendency to blow head gaskets due to the material of the gaskets used in the engine. You can go over to the toyota 4x4 boards and read of toyota putting brand new engines in trucks with 100k+ miles who had their head gaskets let go. You would never get that kind of service from a domestic auto manufacturer.

Oh, and BTW unionman, Toyota's brand Scion was rated #1 in quality by Consumer Reports. Do you want to know who was at the bottom? The welfare ridden brands of Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, and Cadillac.

I heard somebody actually pulled into a Toyota dealership with the throttle wide open and he was able to get the car into neutral. Another guy wasn't so lucky that wasn't familiar with a prius and ran into a train, killing him. If I was the CEO of Toyota or any company that had a problem like that, I would stop production immediately. As for quality, I didn't say they were as good, I said I have noticed there quality going up and they are getting very close, especially now that most foreign cars are made by us lazy Americans and not by a samurai sword wearing Japanese worker, that would kill himself if he did not put out his best effort.

brett636

I heard somebody actually pulled into a Toyota dealership with the throttle wide open and he was able to get the car into neutral. Another guy wasn't so lucky that wasn't familiar with a prius and ran into a train, killing him. If I was the CEO of Toyota or any company that had a problem like that, I would stop production immediately. As for quality, I didn't say they were as good, I said I have noticed there quality going up and they are getting very close, especially now that most foreign cars are made by us lazy Americans and not by a samurai sword wearing Japanese worker, that would kill himself if he did not put out his best effort.

It has a lot less to do with the workers, and a lot more to do with the management. GM's approach to a problem is wait until it threatens the viability of the company or brand before addressing it. Toyota will address issues much earlier, sometimes even before the problem is noticed by the public.

Case in point, at a Toyota manufacturing facility quality control takes place at each stage of production. At a GM facility quality control is at the end. When I was taking a supply chain management class the professor told of a toyota forklift plant here in southern Indiana, and stated how everybody from the highest level manager, to the line worker was required to come up with 3 ideas a month to help improve the processes there at the plant. Enough improvements overtime create a great product with an image of quality. You just don't get that same vibe from the Big 3, although to their credit they have been improving. This has been especially true of Ford.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Only the cars made in USA have this problem, faulty accelerator parts traced to CTS, an Indiana based manufacturing company with an assembly plant in Ontario, California.
So vehicles made in Japan are safe to sell & use.

govols019

You smell that?
Toyota will address issues much earlier, sometimes even before the problem is noticed by the public.

The first reports of accelerators sticking was in 2007. You consider 3 years before action an early response?

brett636

The first reports of accelerators sticking was in 2007. You consider 3 years before action an early response?

Without knowing all the facts of the situation I am willing to give Toyota the benefit of the doubt. I have come across a lot more good examples of quality cars from toyota than bad examples. I can't say the same for certain domestic manufacturers.

govols019

You smell that?
I, on the other hand, have had just the opposite experience. I owned a 1995 Camry that was the biggest piece of crap I've ever had the displeasure of driving. 15 years later and I'm still mad. LOL

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
You should have tried a Ford Pinto.

Hey Ford is doing ok now...Didn't take any bailout $$$ and made a profit last year, and is projected to have a better year this year!!

My Dad had a pinto back in the day.....What a piece..

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Ha! My first car...

I can top that, my first car was a Chevy Vega my brother gave to me. Real piece of ...........................

My mom had a Toyota Corolla that blew a transmission and Toyota refused to fix it, and my brother had a Honda Civic that threw three connecting rods through the block. This was a long time ago, the Japanese have had quality problems too.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Chevy Corvair (62 or 63?) Hubby's car shared with 2 older brothers. All 3 were travelling to Kent State each morning.....they picked up other guys too and overloaded that little thing.

diesel96

I could understand those right of center supporting the rich and corperations (because that's what they are told), but now their defending foreign corperations over American. What ever happened to wrapping yourselves up with the stars and stripes, apple pie and Chevorlets. Oh, I see....GM (Government Motors), so lets support Toyota ??? Wow !

DS

Fenderbender
This thread brought back a memory for me.In the movie "fight club"where the two main charcters were Brad Pitt, a soap salesman and Edward Norton...He makes his living as a recall campaign coordinator. Using a simple formula, he decides whether to recall a faulty vehicle, or pay the damages for each individual claim. I got the impression he worked for Chrysler if I recall.

unionman

I could understand those right of center supporting the rich and corperations (because that's what they are told), but now their defending foreign corperations over American. What ever happened to wrapping yourselves up with the stars and stripes, apple pie and Chevorlets. Oh, I see....GM (Government Motors), so lets support Toyota ??? Wow !
Diesel, it has gotten to the point where it doesn't matter. These blind pigs will follow the GOP even if there believes are not the same. Its called Stubborn stupidity.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
given the facts that most cars today are products of global production, how can you say that one American company is superior?

And when was the last time an American Car manufacture' s company president went on camera to say he was sorry about his company's poor products ?

Status
Not open for further replies.