Traffic camera catches UPS truck hitting pedestrian

Re-Raise

Yes, civil cases can take years, but you're missing my point. This news story is trying to spin it as some :censored2:bag driver mowing down a pedestrian, and leaving the scene so he could avoid getting in trouble with his job and the law. That is obviously not the whole story.
I defend UPS and especially other drivers every chance I get. But in this case there is no way to defend his actions. Accidents happen, but you need to man up and take care of the person you injured first. She was obviously injured pretty badly because emergency personnel were called to the scene.

I expect UPS to argue against compensating her, hell they won't even pay a claim on a damaged package if they can wiggle out of it. But I am stunned how many on here are questioning her claim.

rod

Retired 22 years
I though maybe he didn't see her because she was lost in the blind spot caused by his mirror but the video seems to show that isn't the case. He and UPS are both toast on this one from what I could tell.

Johney

Yup....ups is probably dragging their billion dollar feet on settling, so she goes to the local news and paints the driver as the devil...
I'd be surprised if they have even made it to a mediation by 5 months. They will settle this case long before it ever makes it to a jury trial(I would think). Strange thing I caught is didn't she say she was suing for medical cost's and loss of earnings? Not pain and suffering? That would be a first.

Johney

I defend UPS and especially other drivers every chance I get. But in this case there is no way to defend his actions. Accidents happen, but you need to man up and take care of the person you injured first. She was obviously injured pretty badly because emergency personnel were called to the scene.

I expect UPS to argue against compensating her, hell they won't even pay a claim on a damaged package if they can wiggle out of it. But I am stunned how many on here are questioning her claim.
I agree, but there is no way UPS want's that video played to a jury.

Johney

Well I don't know for sure, I wasn't there. But if the driver left, never called the center, and never said a word to anyone until the cops and ups tracked him down via the camera footage and telematics...UPS would've thrown him to the wolves and had him fired, and walked out the building in handcuffs to protect their image, and publicly condemned his actions...jmo.
He was fired I believe after the story came to light. Handcuff's? They're coming. Then again it might be hard to prove failure to render aid. They did say he left after others stopped to help. Not saying he shouldn't have waited for cops to show up he should have. No telling what he was thinking.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He was fired I believe after the story came to light. Handcuff's? They're coming. Then again it might be hard to prove failure to render aid. They did say he left after others stopped to help. Not saying he shouldn't have waited for cops to show up he should have. No telling what he was thinking.
Agreed, no one knows what was going on in the driver's head in that moment. But the video didn't state that the driver didn't call 911...they just convieniently didn't air his 911 call. That news report smells like a snow job to me. But I'm not denying that she was injured and deserves compensation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was involved in an accident during the early part of my career. The other driver was found to be completely at fault and received 3 citations. UPS determined it was unavoidable. Unfortunately, the other driver was seriously injured and the company cut him a check ($20K) rather than take their chances in court. Can you imagine how many more zeroes they will have to add to settle this one?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Johney

I was involved in an accident during the early part of my career. The other driver was found to be completely at fault and received 3 citations. UPS determined it was unavoidable. Unfortunately, the other driver was seriously injured and the company cut him a check ($20K) rather than take their chances in court. Can you imagine how many more zeroes they will have to add to settle this one?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Back then they also didn't fight workers comp cases like they do today. 0's added will depend on medical bills,future medical bills,loss of wages and future loss of wages and if she asks for pain and suffering.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well...all I can say is it it could've happen to anyone..all it takes is a split second distraction. He obviously never saw her before hitting her. Stay safe out there, guys. :)

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Even if she was hurt that bad why should ups owe her anything? Sure sue the driver but ups is in no way at fault here as a company. She or her lawyer saw $$$$$$$$ signs.

Vicarious liability is why...

She'll be paid, but there's more to this story than we're hearing. But it's a shame it happened at all....a split second is all is takes.

Absolutely right, a split second to make a poor or good decision that can change a life forever. There is ALWAYS two sides to a story. A crash can be re-created, witnesses can be located and theories disproved or corroborated, Telematics can be your friend or foe, and until all the facts of the case can be sifted through, all there is, is speculation.

The media will put a spin on anything that will increase the dramatic reception of the story. People don't want to hear about a careless woman walking in front of a truck, they want to hear about a heartless, inattentive driver plow through her in a crosswalk and leave her for dead.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Even if she was hurt that bad why should ups owe her anything? Sure sue the driver but ups is in no way at fault here as a company. She or her lawyer saw $$$$$$$$ signs.
Of course they owe her...she was run over by a UPS employee on the clock driving a UPS owned vehicle. So, anytime you guys hit say a mailbox with your brown truck...the cost of replacement should come out of the driver's pocket?

Johney

Of course they owe her...she was run over by a UPS employee on the clock driving a UPS owned vehicle. So, anytime you guys hit say a mailbox with your brown truck...the cost of replacement should come out of the driver's pocket?
Don't forget UPS has a bigger pocketbook than the driver.