Traffic camera catches UPS truck hitting pedestrian

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You think he would've been fired if he hadn't left the scene, as they claim? Or is hitting a pedestrian pretty much a job death sentence?

Last edited:

Mack Grant

You think he would've been fired if he hadn't left the scene, as they claim? Or is hitting a pedestrian pretty much a job death sentence?
If he would have stayed and admitted guilt he probably would have been fired but gotten his job back had he fought for it. He still would have been personally responsible for the injuries to the woman (being sued) but could have ended up getting his job back.
Now he neither has his job or the ability to defend himself in any way. Her lawyers are going to sue him back to creation.
Can you imagine what has been going through this guys head ever since he decided to get back in the truck and leave the scene? Knowing at any time the hammer is going to drop on him? The video clearly shows him realizing he hit someone and then fleeing the scene. IMO the D.A will press charges against him which is going to make the civil suit even stronger.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If he would have stayed and admitted guilt he probably would have been fired but gotten his job back had he fought for it. He still would have been personally responsible for the injuries to the woman (being sued) but could have ended up getting his job back.
Now he neither has his job or the ability to defend himself in any way. Her lawyers are going to sue him back to creation.
Can you imagine what has been going through this guys head ever since he decided to get back in the truck and leave the scene? Knowing at any time the hammer is going to drop on him? The video clearly shows him realizing he hit someone and then fleeing the scene. IMO the D.A will press charges against him which is going to make the civil suit even stronger.
Oh, okay...makes sense.
I don't believe he left the scene and never reported it to the center...and waited for the hammer to drop on him. The reporter at the end of the video said the victim's lawyer is hoping the DA will "reconsider" filing criminal charges against the driver...which means as of 5 months later, the state is not pursuing a criminal case against this guy....there must be a reason for that.

oldngray

nowhere special
Oh, okay...makes sense.
I don't believe he left the scene and never reported it to the center...and waited for the hammer to drop on him. The reporter at the end of the video said the victim's lawyer is hoping the DA will "reconsider" filing criminal charges against the driver...which means as of 5 months later, the state is not pursuing a criminal case against this guy....there must be a reason for that.

I agree. Something just doesn't add up.

10 point

yup we hit her. We should not be out in the dark, period. Only at peak, is this justified. It is very hard to see on a dark, rainy night. And dirty windows, and dirty mirrors make it harder. And now that we are not aloud to keep cleaning supplies in our trucks as they are hazardous, and there is no attempt to clean them at night..........well thats gonna happen more. Sad.
Amen.
Pull out of the building, log onto Carwash, wash windows and rims (to ck for rusty and loose lug nuts).
If they stop you file an Art 18.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Oh, okay...makes sense.

May just be that at this time there is no slam-dunk evidence that he was criminally negligent, or that he committed any felonious acts. Prosecutors like to push cases they know they can win, so that their record isn't blemished. That's why they try to get defendants to accept deals, which will show up as a "win" on their record, vs having it go to trial, where everything is up to the jury, and one never really knows which way they'll go (look at OJ).

The video clearly shows he hit her, but his story, while not necessarily believable, is plausible, and he wouldn't have done anything criminally wrong.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I have done something similar to this once, in my fourth month of driving. Rounded a corner on a tight street too quickly and rubbed up against a car. Left a scuff mark on the car. I had stopped to check. The car was a bit beaten up anyway. I told myself I didn't do that, something so small, and kept going. Someone called the center, even telling them.how I fell on ice as I walked back to the truck.

I did not receive discipline directly from this incident, even though I had another "rub up" against a car maybe 3 weeks prior (that one I did stop and call in). However, a short time later I would make almost 50 NDA'S late to a regional office. That's when I was introduced to the "article 7" we've heard a lot about recently.

I was a newbie, struggling to get the hang of a route I had been thrown onto cold. I had had an accident just a couple weeks prior. And the day was starting out beautifully. I just didn't want to believe I had an accident, and allowed the evidence to fit my vision.

Re-Raise

I have done something similar to this once, in my fourth month of driving. Rounded a corner on a tight street too quickly and rubbed up against a car. Left a scuff mark on the car. I had stopped to check. The car was a bit beaten up anyway. I told myself I didn't do that, something so small, and kept going. Someone called the center, even telling them.how I fell on ice as I walked back to the truck.

I did not receive discipline directly from this incident, even though I had another "rub up" against a car maybe 3 weeks prior (that one I did stop and call in). However, a short time later I would make almost 50 NDA'S late to a regional office. That's when I was introduced to the "article 7" we've heard a lot about recently.

I was a newbie, struggling to get the hang of a route I had been thrown onto cold. I had had an accident just a couple weeks prior. And the day was starting out beautifully. I just didn't want to believe I had an accident, and allowed the evidence to fit my vision.
I respect your honesty. Sometimes we try to rationalize our way out of things when we don't want to face the consequences.
In this case I think the driver was probably going to stick with the story that someone else must have hit her. He just didn't know there would a camera filming the whole thing.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
TUKWILA, Wash. -- Jane Doe limped into her attorney's office Friday. The 25-year-old has endured 5 months of wheelchairs, crutches, leg braces, physical therapy, and doctors. Injuries and medical expenses forced her to move back home with mom and dad.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Traffic-Cam-Catches-UPS-Driver-Hitting-Pedestrian-254971421.html

I hope he lost his job.

There is no justification for what he did.

He was negligent - end of story.

All the training that is given and you mow someone down in a crosswalk, time to find a different job.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
In my center, if you hit a dog that runs out in front of you, you get charged with a "crash" (formerly called an accident). Can you imagine hitting a pedestrian?!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You hit a turkey, deer, dog, tree, mailbox, break a mirror whatever you might be tempted to hide it. You run over a person, you take care of the person the job be damned.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
yup we hit her. We should not be out in the dark, period. Only at peak, is this justified. It is very hard to see on a dark, rainy night. And dirty windows, and dirty mirrors make it harder. And now that we are not aloud to keep cleaning supplies in our trucks as they are hazardous, and there is no attempt to clean them at night..........well thats gonna happen more. Sad.
That ridiculous...they wash the trucks maybe once a month, and you guys can't carry windex to clean off your windows??

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
If this were my daughter I would not be responsible for my actions toward that driver.

This guy knew what he did, and left that kid.
Accidents do happen but his actions are unforgivable.

I can't imagine hurting someone like that. It's a major reason I drive so cautiously.