Training dummy

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
....or I guess I could be an arse hole and kick the dog and yell at it and get mad and lecture the lady about how we arent supposed to hand out treats and that she needs to control her animal.

Naah, I like my way better.
I dont care what you say, I think you actually like this job

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont care what you say, I think you actually like this job
I love this job. There are parts of it that are seriously frustrating and aggravating, but the pluses far outweigh the minuses. Having a rural retirement route certainly helps, I might have a completely different attitude if I were stuck on a crappy route.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So again, today I'm delivering to a house with a loose dog (small one, but aggressive) waiting for me to exit the truck. Owner comes out with a baby in her arms and commands the dog to sit. It obeys--until I step down out of the truck with a heavy package in my arms. Then it ignores her and is trying to bite my legs as I'm stumbling around trying to get up her steps.
Finally? She gives up using ME as her training dummy and grabs the dog's collar , restraining it properly.
I'm wondering, if I weren't the UPS guy, but your aged father, or your visiting sister, or your boss, would you use me to train your dog? Or would you make sure its 100 percent restrained out of respect and safety?
I think I know the answer to that.​
You know the answer, she doesn't respect you. You are nothing more than a squeaky toy, a flaming hoop, or another dog. You aren't a person, you're her other pet. Barnyard has it right on the money. That dog isn't the one that needs training, I'm going to use horns and sticky notes to show her how to get respect.

govols019

You smell that?
....or I guess I could be an arse hole and kick the dog and yell at it and get mad and lecture the lady about how we arent supposed to hand out treats and that she needs to control her animal.

Naah, I like my way better.

Yeah, the picture you posted is nowhere near what the OP situation was.

I tried the dog treat thing with a dog I had trouble with at a daily pickup. Soon as she finished the treat she was right back to trying to bite me.

Some dogs, you just can't reach.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a bike shop on my route that for some reason has an aggressive dog on their sales floor. At first I was very hesitant to approach him and asked that he be secured while I made my deliveries. Over time we (the dog and I) came to an understanding that I was just there to do my job and that he was to leave me alone. Yesterday I walked in there and he let me pet him for the first time ever. This was all done without dog biscuits or any other treats.

I have a pickup stop which also has an aggressive dog which I don't go anywhere near. They keep him secured while I am there. There is no way that I will ever be able to come to an understanding with that dog. Ironically, one of the employees is married to one of our drivers, who kids me about being afraid of Cujo.