Training Route for 3 months?

Dnking

FireFalcon
After 15 years with the company, I just became a full time driver on April 15. I have been on a training route, which is one of the tougher routes In the building. Average between 130-160 stops including pickups. And between 30-40 miles a day.

I have been on this route for 3 months now. And the bid driver has been on about 4 different routes. I have told management that I am willing to learn other routes, and it's not fair that he gets to get off his route and I have to run it. There answer is that they haven't had time to train me, and that he can drive other routes because of "area knowledge".

I'm a new driver and I don't want to make any waves by filing a grievance. But the contract says that bid drivers "in an Emergency can be asked to run other routes". Wondering if I should file a grievance, or just wait it out and see if they train me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

aiian

They just bump the bidded driver off of his/her route when it's time to train some rookies?

That's news to me.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Used to, centers had 1 or more "training routes" available (translation-routes nobody would even bid on) Seems to me like the driver you took over for would assert himself and demand his route back. I did this when I was a package driver. I went into feeders for peak one year and got sent back to my center. Was told I was the new coverage driver.
they said I was now technically a feeder driver and had no say in my center anymore. I said nay nay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center used to have just one training route----we now have one training route per loop. These routes are bid with the express knowledge that the driver will be bumped off for at least 30 days while they train a new driver(s).

It sounds like the bid driver is enjoying his "vacation" from the training route and is in no hurry to go back to it. Mean while, your center is in no hurry to train you on other areas.

At least you are working every day.

You have no basis for a grievance.

Cementups

Box Monkey
After 15 years with the company, I just became a full time driver on April 15. I have been on a training route, which is one of the tougher routes In the building. Average between 130-160 stops including pickups. And between 30-40 miles a day.

I have been on this route for 3 months now. And the bid driver has been on about 4 different routes. I have told management that I am willing to learn other routes, and it's not fair that he gets to get off his route and I have to run it. There answer is that they haven't had time to train me, and that he can drive other routes because of "area knowledge".

I'm a new driver and I don't want to make any waves by filing a grievance. But the contract says that bid drivers "in an Emergency can be asked to run other routes". Wondering if I should file a grievance, or just wait it out and see if they train me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

You can't file for him for running his own route anyway. Be happy they are working you. And if he has a problem running different routes then he should be the person filing to run his bid route.
And NEVER EVER be afraid to make waves with filing a grievance. If that's the case, what did your brothers and brothers before you fight for if you and others aren't willing to make the company play by the rules. FILE FILE FILE!!!

They just bump the bidded driver off of his/her route when it's time to train some rookies?

That's news to me.

If you have a training route, like I bid, then yes, they can remove you from your route to train another driver. But after the driver make his thirty days then the regular driver should be put back on his route. Fortunately for me I don't know any other routes so I can't be moved to anything else.

Dnking

FireFalcon
I agree with PT CarWasher and Upsate. I think he's enjoying running other routes. I've talked to other drivers in different centers. And at there centers they have Vacation bid sheets. Which cover drivers get to sign to cover a route for a week while a driver is off on vacation.

That's somethin I wish we had here.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Pooter

OP: enjoy it while it last. They are being lazy with training so I wouldn't push it especially if the bid driver doesn't care that u are running his route.

The fewer routes you know, the better :D

barnyard

KTM rider
I predict that the next thread the OP starts will be in September. The OP is going to wonder if he/she can grieve because he/she went out on 5 different routes in 5 days.