Training routes

Bottom rung

We have a driver that doesn't want to let a new guy train on his route so they're asking all the bid drivers to step off their bid route for thirty days so a new driver can be trained. Can he (the driver who doesn't want to give up his route) do that? His bid route is a training route.

ncupser82

My center highlights their training routes...not sure you have a choice if your route is one!

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
We have a driver that doesn't want to let a new guy train on his route so they're asking all the bid drivers to step off their bid route for thirty days so a new driver can be trained. Can he (the driver who doesn't want to give up his route) do that? His bid route is a training route.

I knew whiners like that guy. They bid on a training route then don't want to give it up so someone can be trained. He can whine but he can still be forced off the route for training. My center had 3 training routes and of course the crybaby had to say "Why are you using MY route for training?" The trainee routes were rotated and it was his turn. His whining didn't work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center used to have just one training route. Everyone knew the deal when they bid it. We now have one training route per loop (5). We are currently training 3 drivers which means 3 bid drivers are displaced for 30 days. None of the 3 bid drivers had a choice hence the term "training route".

bottom rung, the bid driver in your post does not have a choice.

upschuck

The only way he can refuse is if there are other training areas that have not been used since his was. They must rotate which areas they train on and can't keep using the same one when others are not used.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only way he can refuse is if there are other training areas that have not been used since his was. They must rotate which areas they train on and can't keep using the same one when others are not used.

That's a valid point that I didn't consider.

OP---is there more than one training route in your center?

Bottom rung

We have three training routes. It was this drivers turn to lose his route a couple months ago. Another driver gave up his route so this other driver didnt have to.

upschuck

We have three training routes. It was this drivers turn to lose his route a couple months ago. Another driver gave up his route so this other driver didnt have to.
He sounds like a real whiner. He bid a training route, he should of known he was going to have to give it up every now and then.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When I came on as a new driver, instead of displacing a training route guy they put me on a guy's route who was out on a long term injury. Worked out well for everyone and actually was a good route for new drivers to learn on--heavy industrial followed by res with a bunch of scheduled pickups.

Bottom rung

So the driver in question appears to have gotten his way. When they started a new driver they did it while the driver of another training route was on vacation.

Sent using BrownCafe App

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
So,
So the driver in question appears to have gotten his way. When they started a new driver they did it while the driver of another training route was on vacation.

Sent using BrownCafe App
So, what happens when this driver comes back from vacation? Was he aware this was happening?

Bottom rung

Driver is working preload and doing porter work to get his eight hours. He got on his bid route on a third move, he doesnt have enough seniority to drive this week. He knew two people were to be trained, one was a sup who now can't be because of p/t vacation coverage guys filed against the sup driving before them.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Driver is working preload and doing porter work to get his eight hours. He got on his bid route on a third move, he doesnt have enough seniority to drive this week. He knew two people were to be trained, one was a sup who now can't be because of p/t vacation coverage guys filed against the sup driving before them.

Good. More RTD's/potential FT drivers need to keep their eye on this. The company can allot one job for every six to a PT supervisor, but they'd better be last in line to get trained. Mistakes like these can cause someone a headache for their entire career.

Corky_Calhoun

I got a buddy trying to make his 30 days, in a center that is desperate for drivers. So they send him out on a route that they have never used as a training route. Bulked out every day and he says he gets at least a 20 minute lunch and is back to the building for the air drop every day by 17:15.

Sup wants him to work on his numbers, says he's an hour over every day. I'm a little naive to the way numbers work (I think we all are). But, if he's back to the building every day by 17:15 which is about as soon as possible considering traffic getting back and his last pickup is at 16:45. I've taught him about recording over 70's and all that jazz.

Any tips for getting his numbers better, or is he just screwed because he was put on a route with crap time studies?