Training routes

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Corky_Calhoun, May 29, 2014.

1. Corky_Calhoun

Corky_Calhoun New Member

Ever hear of a center running a training route in a 1200?

2. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

If the route that's a training route has that size truck, then why not?

You'll have to get used to them anyways

3. Corky_Calhoun

Corky_Calhoun New Member

Just wondering. I've personally never heard of it. My training route was in a 700, most are in a 1000. Just never heard of one in a 1200. Completely different beast if you've never driven anything big like that.

Don't think its a fair shake.

4. Logistically it made sense.

5. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Common. Tight industrial routes. Lots of volume. Also a lot of pick ups. Light resi stops. But all training routes vary. Some are easy(?) and some are impossible.

6. Its a traing route!....Not an Icecream route!...What the heck happened? .......We cant put this old big truck on a traing route? Lets put a brand new small one on. it!.....Geeze o man!

7. Corky_Calhoun

Corky_Calhoun New Member

Just thinking back to when I was learning the job. A 700 was bigger than everything I ever drove. Can't imagine a 1200, while learning the diad, learning the methods and learning the area.

I heard they were using a 1200 for a training route when they're hard up for drivers and the last several were DQ'ed for accidents.

What kind of noob idea is this?

8. I drove 1970's POS , WITH NO power steering, bad brakes, and plenty of fumes in the cab!.Qualify, on that!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Corky_Calhoun

Corky_Calhoun New Member

Wait. Aren't you a PT car washer?

10. Corky_Calhoun

Corky_Calhoun New Member

No diads. Just clay tablets.

11. No electronics, what so ever!...The good ole days!....gone forever

12. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

A lot of times the center will send me out to cover either deliveries or pick ups on for new drivers on training routes. Also air exception and Saturday driver. My boss thinks I know it all. Truth is I just know a bit more then she does.

13. Corky_Calhoun

Corky_Calhoun New Member

Stop, you're making me wet.

14. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I drove a hog bulk van mall truck whatever you want to call it for my drivin test. Talk about a whole nother beast.

I think everyone of our training routes is in a p1000 or p1200

15. scisector9

scisector9 Active Member

I had a 1000 with no power steering and the big three foot step for half of my qualifying period. My normal car mysteriously had a PMI for a couple weeks in there. Think they were trying to test me. We still have two or three of them here. Usually not in on normal routes just the weird splits that are only in a couple days a week. I hate when I'm on those routes.

Sent using BrownCafe App

16. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

One of the two training routes here is in a 1200 the other is in a 700.

17. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I would think a bulk commercial route would be easier for the new driver. Back in, back out.

18. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

You would think so but it seems today's drivers have a hard time with the backing part.

19. trouble maker

trouble maker Member

don't forget the high step and no heat. the only good thing was you could rig the bulk head door so you didn't need the key.

20. Trust me! my knees still remember!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List