Training Trip - Unwanted

LS Nerd

Hello! So, the short of this story and my current situation is that word through the grapevine in my center is that next week I'm being shipped off for training. Against my will. And I've yet to even be told personally and yet management has told a couple of my coworkers.
The location for training (Hazmat Responder) is 150+ miles away from my center. I'm currently borrowing a vehicle and the vehicle in question is unreliable for that long a distance (Mine, though, is currently needing some good repair work). Renting a vehicle is especially pricey for me as I'm under 25. The job in question is not one I wish to do, on top of all of that. The problem is that I'm lowest seniority on my shift, and they want a responder on it.
I've been looking through the union book for anything relevant, but I figured I'd ask here as well. Is there any entry about sending someone for training for extra duties? Is someone really expected to, -within- a week, drop everything and go to another city for several days?
Furthermore, I was sent in for the respiratory physical for this, but was not told that's what it was for. As far as I had gathered, and nobody ever corrected me, it was a DOT physical for the cover driver testing. I even went in telling the doctor that's what it was for, and we were both confused that it wasn't what UPS had asked them to test on me ('Are you here for a DOT Physical?' 'Yeah.' 'Odd, that's... Not what this is.') . He had to call them and ask, and got 'No, yeah, that's what we wanted done.'

Any help would be appreciated beyond words.

LS Nerd

I may have put this in the wrong place. Woops.
200_s.gif

UniteandWin

That union book is your union contract. Look under health and safety. Also ask your steward what local practice has been on your sort

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the conditions of your employment are a reliable means of transportation to and from work.

Are they asking you to drive back and forth on the same day or are you being put up for the night on their dime?

You are the lowest seniority hourlie, no one else wanted it, the position needs to be filled, looks like the position is yours.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hello! So, the short of this story and my current situation is that word through the grapevine in my center is that next week I'm being shipped off for training. Against my will. And I've yet to even be told personally and yet management has told a couple of my coworkers.
The location for training (Hazmat Responder) is 150+ miles away from my center. I'm currently borrowing a vehicle and the vehicle in question is unreliable for that long a distance (Mine, though, is currently needing some good repair work). Renting a vehicle is especially pricey for me as I'm under 25. The job in question is not one I wish to do, on top of all of that. The problem is that I'm lowest seniority on my shift, and they want a responder on it.
I've been looking through the union book for anything relevant, but I figured I'd ask here as well. Is there any entry about sending someone for training for extra duties? Is someone really expected to, -within- a week, drop everything and go to another city for several days?
Furthermore, I was sent in for the respiratory physical for this, but was not told that's what it was for. As far as I had gathered, and nobody ever corrected me, it was a DOT physical for the cover driver testing. I even went in telling the doctor that's what it was for, and we were both confused that it wasn't what UPS had asked them to test on me ('Are you here for a DOT Physical?' 'Yeah.' 'Odd, that's... Not what this is.') . He had to call them and ask, and got 'No, yeah, that's what we wanted done.'

This is a weird one. You need to talk to your business agent.

I've always understood that the company cannot require an employee to become certified in a skilled position against their wishes (ie. UPS can hire a sorter off the street but cannot force a seniority unloader to become sort aisle certified.)

But every center or hub is different.

I doubt any discipline resulting from you being unable to attend hazmat training would stick as you must have a secure source of transport to work your REGULAR HOURS on your shift.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Fail the training. They can't force you to pass

Turdferguson

Just a turd
One of the conditions of your employment are a reliable means of transportation to and from work.

Are they asking you to drive back and forth on the same day or are you being put up for the night on their dime?

You are the lowest seniority hourlie, no one else wanted it, the position needs to be filled, looks like the position is yours.

Public transportation is a reliable form of transportation to and from work. There is nothing that says he has to drive 150 miles to go to training

LS Nerd

Thanks for the replies. I'm already asking my union rep. Our center is small, and our Local Sort is one person per job, with those people taking on additional duties. We even have a responder already, though they're a cover driver as well and will likely not be in our sort throughout peak season.
@UniteandWin I've been trying to find something in the Teamster book relating to this, but I can't seem to find literally anything relating to trips like this. Though perhaps I'm not sure where to look. I've been going through health and safety sections but still don't see anything about transportation.

The vehicle is reliable enough for transportation to work and home, and I have a few backup plans just in case. Laughably, my center manager even commented that I work so hard to be at work on time each day that 'If anyone here ever needs to take you to work, I know you'll make sure they're 10 minutes early!'
Oh, and @UpstateNYUPSer, I'd be going up there and staying for several days in a hotel UPS rents, and then reimbursed afterwards on food, assumingly. (Though honestly having less than a week to get funds for it together, and the fact I -only- work this one job, it's financially worrying as well even if the cost of the hotel is a nonissue. But it'll probably be at least a week until I'd be reimbursed.)

A coworker had a similar issue for cover driver school for transportation, but he was over 25 and the cost of renting a car was way more reasonable. And for the audit school, a supervisor was sent too so a vehicle was rented for the both of us together.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Oh, and @UpstateNYUPSer, I'd be going up there and staying for several days in a hotel UPS rents, and then reimbursed afterwards on food, assumingly. (Though honestly having less than a week to get funds for it together, and the fact I -only- work this one job, it's financially worrying as well even if the cost of the hotel is a nonissue. But it'll probably be at least a week until I'd be reimbursed.)
Every class I've ever taken has always had a prepaid hotel room. Food/mileage is always paid after the fact.

If transportation is a problem you can always ask for a rental car. I know it sounds insane but some divisions do allow it. Half my driver school class had a company provided rental for the trip.

Don't forget too, you're going to make more money sitting in class for a few days (at the skilled rate) than working the sort.

LS Nerd

If transportation is a problem you can always ask for a rental car. I know it sounds insane but some divisions do allow it. Half my driver school class had a company provided rental for the trip.
When cover driving school rolled around and the guy I mentioned had that issue, management refused to rent a vehicle for him. Though he DID say that as it got closer and closer, and because they were hurting for drivers so badly, they were starting to toss out 'maybe's before he buckled down and rented a car 1-2 days before the date hit.
I'll drop a line about it when the talks come up and see how it goes, since that would take a lot of the burden and worry off. Plus I've never gotten to drive a brand new vehicle, so that'd be cool!
Part of my apprehension also comes from a few horror stories at my center involving being a Responder, including one guy threatened with prison when someone else forged his signature on a form.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
When cover driving school rolled around and the guy I mentioned had that issue, management refused to rent a vehicle for him. Though he DID say that as it got closer and closer, and because they were hurting for drivers so badly, they were starting to toss out 'maybe's before he buckled down and rented a car 1-2 days before the date hit.
I'll drop a line about it when the talks come up and see how it goes, since that would take a lot of the burden and worry off. Plus I've never gotten to drive a brand new vehicle, so that'd be cool!
Part of my apprehension also comes from a few horror stories at my center involving being a Responder, including one guy threatened with prison when someone else forged his signature on a form.

Have the boss give you Greyhound fare

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

LS

The hotel will be prepaid and you will be reimbursed for meals up to a daily maximum. Take advantage of the continental breakfast as that will save you money.

LS Nerd

The hotel will be prepaid and you will be reimbursed for meals up to a daily maximum. Take advantage of the continental breakfast as that will save you money.
Yeah, I went through this once with Hazmat Audit school, and that was the deal. I'm just not sure if it'll be the same center or not, and how that'll change things. The limit last time for reimbursement was $25 a day, which I can make a dollar stretch by being a cheapskate and just buying instant ramen at the store. It's still just kind of short notice to set aside enough funds to still last half a week to a week in another city, and keep emergency money on hand in case something happens.
If they'd given me a month's notice, or even two week's notice, that'd be one thing. But the wednesday -before- the trip? And that's if they even bother telling me today. Last time they tried to send me it was such short notice that my manager was like 'don't even bother packing. We don't have enough notice to even send you for your physical'.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah, I went through this once with Hazmat Audit school, and that was the deal. I'm just not sure if it'll be the same center or not, and how that'll change things. The limit last time for reimbursement was $25 a day, which I can make a dollar stretch by being a cheapskate and just buying instant ramen at the store. It's still just kind of short notice to set aside enough funds to still last half a week to a week in another city, and keep emergency money on hand in case something happens.
If they'd given me a month's notice, or even two week's notice, that'd be one thing. But the wednesday -before- the trip? And that's if they even bother telling me today. Last time they tried to send me it was such short notice that my manager was like 'don't even bother packing. We don't have enough notice to even send you for your physical'.

Do you have any supervisors that you are friends with? Ask them if they can front you $100 for the week---that should be more than enough to get you by----and pay them back when you get your reimbursement check.

LS Nerd

Do you have any supervisors that you are friends with? Ask them if they can front you $100 for the week---that should be more than enough to get you by----and pay them back when you get your reimbursement check.
I hate asking for money more than you know, but depending on how things go I may have to ask a family member that drives for a small loan. Most likely I'll end up needing to borrow money to rent a car, and that alone will likely run high even with the UPS discount because of my age. Though I'm not sure how much the tradeoff will be for a one-week rental with the discount vs. age penalty.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I hate asking for money more than you know, but depending on how things go I may have to ask a family member that drives for a small loan. Most likely I'll end up needing to borrow money to rent a car, and that alone will likely run high even with the UPS discount because of my age. Though I'm not sure how much the tradeoff will be for a one-week rental with the discount vs. age penalty.

Don't pay for a rental car if they want you there they will get you there

What aren't you comprehending here