Training Trip - Unwanted

I wouldn't say "don't do it." DR isn't bad and sometimes you make extra hours because all the 150 pound stuff we ship, you'll be qualified to do regular damages, too. They sent someone to my center to train 2 of us. A sup was gonna get trained but failed the respiratory part. You have to take computer training every year, and that take a couple hours. I can't believe they can't rent you a car. If you do drive, I would make sure they pay your mileage. Having transport to and from work is different than taking a jalopy on the interstate for a 3 hour drive.

LS Nerd

I wouldn't say "don't do it." DR isn't bad and sometimes you make extra hours because all the 150 pound stuff we ship, you'll be qualified to do regular damages, too. They sent someone to my center to train 2 of us. A sup was gonna get trained but failed the respiratory part. You have to take computer training every year, and that take a couple hours. I can't believe they can't rent you a car. If you do drive, I would make sure they pay your mileage. Having transport to and from work is different than taking a jalopy on the interstate for a 3 hour drive.
Oh yeah, definitely going to get on them for mileage if I do end up going and they don't provide transportation. Part of my hang-up on doing it to begin with is the fact I hear nothing but negativity at my center from my coworkers that do or have done it. One day I saw someone from preload still handling damaged packages at 5pm after a rough morning.
I wonder, though. Can you be called in on another shift for a damaged package if the responder(s) for that shift is out for the day?

Oh yeah, definitely going to get on them for mileage if I do end up going and they don't provide transportation. Part of my hang-up on doing it to begin with is the fact I hear nothing but negativity at my center from my coworkers that do or have done it. One day I saw someone from preload still handling damaged packages at 5pm after a rough morning.
I wonder, though. Can you be called in on another shift for a damaged package if the responder(s) for that shift is out for the day?
Me, the other DR, and the FT sup who was also trained had to stay till about noon once because of a big bucket of turpentine spilled. Best looking feeder floor in the fleet, now! But it's time and a half after 5 hours. I went once to another center during my shift because they didn't have a DR that day and every sort is supposed to have a DR. As far as getting called in for another sort, it's either extra money, or you're "not available". Like if you have another job, kids, you're getting drunk, or just really don't want to go in. Everybody complains about it, but honestly, if you just get over worrying that they are taking advantage of you and can be positive when someone says, "hey, LS, we gotta leaker over here", it's no biggy. Being helpful gets me nowhere at UPS, but it's better to be kind than to be a stress monkey and worry about how everyone else gets away with slacking.

And, God forbid Amazon doing their own deliveries cuts into UPS and they lay anyone off, your the low man now, but maybe have to keep you around cuz you're the responder?

clean hairy

In the contract somewhere, "When an Employee uses their personal vehicle in service of the Employer, they shall be paid at the I.R.S. rate per mile"
Going off memory, but what I posted should be close to what the wording is in the contract.
Check with your local to confirm Co. required Training is compensable under I.R.S. mileage guidelines.
Just for example sake, say 50 cents per mile.
300 miles is $150.
20MPG Hwy is 15 gallons of gas.
Figure high at $2.50 per gallon.
$37 for gas, and you get a profit over $100 as a benefit.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
In the contract somewhere, "When an Employee uses their personal vehicle in service of the Employer, they shall be paid at the I.R.S. rate per mile"
Going off memory, but what I posted should be close to what the wording is in the contract.
Check with your local to confirm Co. required Training is compensable under I.R.S. mileage guidelines.
Just for example sake, say 50 cents per mile.
300 miles is $150.
20MPG Hwy is 15 gallons of gas.
Figure high at $2.50 per gallon.
$37 for gas, and you get a profit over $100 as a benefit.

Unless your Jalopy breaks down in the middle B friend E

PT Car Washer

Some Respondent's have turned the job into an almost FT job. Hard to do at $10/hr, but at $30/hr and OT after 5 hours you can easily make $1,000/wk.

LS Nerd

We had some talks at work, including with my rep. It turns out they were supposed to tell me monday and just kind of... Haven't. But it's been resolved, it seems. Now there's another mess I won't even get into here, haha.
One day I might do it, though. I will say talking here with you awesome people has made me rethink the position. And who knows, maybe the unhappy people are just not as amazing as me ;D

(I-I'm not that amazing.)

Last edited: