Training

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We can't keep people at my station. It's a revolving door. I heard the other day about a new hire handler who they said "looked as old as Methuselah". He did computer training for EIGHT weeks before they put him in the cans loading. He quit his first day loading. He said that FedEx is an evil company for expecting him to do that hard of a job. LMAO! I don't know what kind of training he did for 8 weeks that didn't give him an indication of what his job would entail. Lol.

dezguy

We can't keep people at my station. It's a revolving door. I heard the other day about a new hire handler who they said "looked as old as Methuselah". He did computer training for EIGHT weeks before they put him in the cans loading. He quit his first day loading. He said that FedEx is an evil company for expecting him to do that hard of a job. LMAO! I don't know what kind of training he did for 8 weeks that didn't give him an indication of what his job would entail. Lol.
We've had a couple of guys quit their first day on the road. I was there the day one guy came back and said they aren't paying enough to be this stressed out.

Some people can hack it, others can't.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We've had a couple of guys quit their first day on the road. I was there the day one guy came back and said they aren't paying enough to be this stressed out.

Worst I've seen was a gal who had a meltdown over 9 P1 stops on 2 adjacent streets. Had 90 minutes to do them. Usually takes 40. She'd been trained on that area for 2 weeks and had been to each of those stops just about every day.

Second place was a guy who was sent downtown with 27 stops on a route that averaged 15 SPH, even by the slowpokes. He averaged 4 SPH in the densest part of the route!!! He was backtracking and zigzagging all over the place and God only knows what else. Someone asked him why he didn't stop at Maple St, line up all of his Maple St pkgs and deliver them in order, then do the same thing for the other streets. He said no one ever told him how to do that. WTF??? You'd think that after his 3rd trip down the same block that a light bulb would have turned on in his head.

whenIgetthere

Worst I've seen was a gal who had a meltdown over 9 P1 stops on 2 adjacent streets. Had 90 minutes to do them. Usually takes 40. She'd been trained on that area for 2 weeks and had been to each of those stops just about every day.

Second place was a guy who was sent downtown with 27 stops on a route that averaged 15 SPH, even by the slowpokes. He averaged 4 SPH in the densest part of the route!!! He was backtracking and zigzagging all over the place and God only knows what else. Someone asked him why he didn't stop at Maple St, line up all of his Maple St pkgs and deliver them in order, then do the same thing for the other streets. He said no one ever told him how to do that. WTF??? You'd think that after his 3rd trip down the same block that a light bulb would have turned on in his head.

Or the manager who tried to OLCC an employee because it took him 25 minutes to deliver two FO stops on Main Street (not the real street name obviously), one at 25 Main Street, the other at 44 Main Street. Until the courier pointed out the two stops were in two different towns. I've mentioned this manager before, real genius!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The great thing about all of this dysfunction is that it is tremendously expensive to Mr. Smith. Couriers that do 5 SPH are costly, but having a constant flow of people out the door is worse.

Very few of the new generation are willing to do this type of work for low money. Most have other options. so Fred gets what's left.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

He was probably following DRA. New hires don't get paid to think and they sure don't get trained in how to set up a route. That's a huge FedEx corporation fail.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
He was probably following DRA. New hires don't get paid to think and they sure don't get trained in how to set up a route. That's a huge FedEx corporation fail.

No DRA, just helping an existing route. The guy in question was just an absolute train wreck. Never seen anything like him in the company.

MAKAVELI

No DRA, just helping an existing route. The guy in question was just an absolute train wreck. Never seen anything like him in the company.
When the company does not want to pay to keep experienced hard workers, this will be the norm. Good luck with that.;)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Senior Manager in my station is finally using his brain for once. We had a senior courier who was out on disability for months. He asked SM if he could train new hires. After talking to MD, they approved it. The guy is a great courier and the new hires are fortunate to be trained by him. Win-win all around.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Senior Manager in my station is finally using his brain for once. We had a senior courier who was out on disability for months. He asked SM if he could train new hires. After talking to MD, they approved it. The guy is a great courier and the new hires are fortunate to be trained by him. Win-win all around.
Aw c'mon now. Give legal a chance to screw that up.

dex 84

They've been doing that with senior couriers coming back on light duty lately at my station. Just sit in the passenger seat and give guidance to the new courier. It's a much better use of light duty and a good way for a newer courier to learn to do the job.

It seems to help more to have someone on road training you after you've already been doing the job on your own for a couple months.