Transfer out of State

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Macron2340, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Macron2340

Macron2340 New Member

Good day, I am looking to move out of state and asked my supervisor if a transfer is possible. I was told that I can only be transferred if I am in school. My shop steward told me the same thing. He said I could resign and start over again but I think it's unfair when I already have 8 months working as a part time preloader. Has anyone ever transferred out of state and experienced this kind of issue? Thanks

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Your sup and steward are correct.

Resign on good terms, request a positive rehire status and reapply when you relocate.

3. Macron2340

Macron2340 New Member

Thanks for the feed back. Didn't want to have to go back down in pay and start all over again.

4. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

They pay is the least of your problems. Getting rehired in a new place even with a positive rehired status isn't going to be easy...

5. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Or sign up for community college class in your area then say your transferring to wherever u want to move happens all the time and very easy

6. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

All due respect, what could you have earned in 8 months, that would be so costly for you to lose?

7. UpstateNYUPSer

Yet people wonder why the company keeps taking away perks...

8. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

If we were allowed to transfer out of state I would be peddling parcels in Kauai by now! Guess I have to wait a little while longer for retirement.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

If we were allowed to transfer out of state the smart thing would be to do a pension comparison, which means most of you would want to transfer to the Northwest or to Upstate NY.

10. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

There is a transfer sheet every year in our center that shows a list of places you can put you name in. In our center alone we have 3 guys that are transfers. You do not dovetail into the seniority list. You start at the bottom.

11. DELUXE

DELUXE New Member

Hi, this is a little off topic, but it is union related. I am a four year ups part time employee(local#294 in ny), i applied to work for ups freight(local #707), also in ny. I was told that i couldn't work for both at the same time. Does anyone know why?

12. UpstateNYUPSer

...because they are two separate divisions within the same company.

If you are looking for more hours ask if you can double shift or sign the bid sheet (if there are any) for a FT or 22.3 position.

13. DELUXE

DELUXE New Member

was initially told it was a payroll issue. don't really understand that, i would have a different employee id anyway. seems unfair, to not allow someone the opportunity to work when the work is there. thanks for your answers though.

14. DELUXE

DELUXE New Member

so, ups says i can't work for another trucking company at the same time....and i can't work for another ups division at the same time!!!???? Wtf man!!!???

15. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

If they saw what our pension is doing, they certainly would not come here for that reason. Perhaps for the weather.

16. wncdriver

wncdriver New Member

A lot of people sign up for school, transfer, and then drop the classes. If they are asked about it they just say they will have to re-enroll later, they couldnt afford it after the move. I hear its the ONLY way to transfer.

17. UpstateNYUPSer

...yet people wonder why the company takes more of our perks away...

18. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

19. sscottky72

sscottky72 New Member

Transfer to NY...I don't think there would be much interest in that!

20. sortaisle

sortaisle Livin the cardboard dream

When you sign on to work at UPS you have a no compete clause. Can't work for other outfits even within the company.