Transfering at UPS?

LostBoy

Has anyone actually heard of 22.3 combo employees successfully transferring?

I'm curious about transferring and am currently part-time, though with 7 years I'm fairly close to getting combo. I have no interest in driving at all.

I work at a very large hub so I'm sure I wouldn't have much trouble getting out. Is it possible to see a list of available 22.3 bids for other hubs?

hjsaldana

I have a 22.3 combo job and HR said that the only way to transfer a combo job is if another hub has the same opening as the job I have. For example my combo job is Unload and Customer Center, so I would only be able to apply and transfer to another hub that has that same job opening and then I would still have to bid on it in. I don't know if the new contract will have any impact, you might want to ask your HR person about it and see if you can get a straight answer.

Nockahate9

It seems that a lot of people want to transfer and I am sure there is more where that came from. You should be able to put in a transfer request and the only way it gets approved is if someone at the center you want to transfer to has someone transferring out. It would be a chain reaction. If you want to transfer to another center, chances are someone wants to transfer to your center.....this may sound confusing but I don't feel like typing all night to explain my point.

LostBoy

If indeed you are allowed to transfer as a 22.3 only by bidding for the same job, how would you even know what bids are available? Do you have to call the local in the desired area and ask?

I work nights and the HR rep is never available. I'll try getting the number this week though.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Does anyone have any information about what agreements might be in place in the south-east? I'm in Florida, not sure which region I'm technically in, and what other states are in that region. Currently I'm a cover driver, but I think there's a pretty good chance I'll go FT in 2009. Not sure I want to stay in this town forever haha.

driver11

I know this thread is several years old. Has anyone made any progress with transferring? Im trying to get from Florida to Austin, Texas myself.

Dan Boardman

I am a pre-loader / sorter in Dover New Hampshire .... but am moving to Portland Maine. That would make my (pre dawn) commute about an hour and fifteen minutes - one way. So ... naturally I would like to transfer to a closer UPS building in Maine. But, like I have been reading in these forums, I have been told that I must basically quit my current job and get hired at the building I want to transfer to. Not only that but because it is across state lines, that means different unions, which means paying more dues like when I was first hired in New Hampshire. I have only been a UPS employee for a little over 2 years, so I don't really care too much about losing seniority ... but starting over at entry level pay and re-paying my union dues is like a kick in the nuts. Plus it isn't even guaranteed that I will even get hired at the Portland Maine hub. ? !
Ok .... now here is my question ... is it true that it is easier to transfer across state lines, and keep your rate of pay, if you say you need to transfer due to going to school???