Transferring as a driver

theUPSman

Let's say that whenever I start driving and my wife got a job in another city, if i get a transfer would i still be driving or would i be bumped back to preload with no seniority?

drewed

Shankman
Let's say that whenever I start driving and my wife got a job in another city, if i get a transfer would i still be driving or would i be bumped back to preload with no seniority?
IF there was a job opening in the area you might be able to transfer, thats dependent on how your local and incoming management team feels about it....you would keep your senoirity in terms you wont have to go through progression again but youd lose your building senoirity

Mike Hawk

You stay driver, and keep your company seniority date, so you keep gaining vacation weeks. You lose your building seniority though, you are the lowest driver on the list for choosing vacation and biding on routes.

tups

Transfers at UPS?????? I don't think so. ONLY if the building you are transferring to is within the same union local you are currently in. Otherwise the only way to do anything like that is to resign from your current position, then when you get to the new city, you re-apply as a new hire. If you are lucky enough to start driving right away, you go through training all over again to do the same job you were trained already for, turn in your uniforms and get new ones at the new center, AND you start at the bottom of the pay scale again. But this does not always apply to everywhere in the country, because different regions have different language in the contract supplementals regarding this. Some allow it, some dont. I had tried to do this for 6 months before moving from Boston to Texas, but was not it was not possible. So I just resigned. For such a big company, they can't even get something as simple as employee transfers right. Glad I left. No more dealing with the headaches that went along with the job. Even though I liked the job itself, I hated all the crap that comes with it. And this is a perfect example of that.

drewed

Shankman
Transfers at UPS?????? I don't think so. ONLY if the building you are transferring to is within the same union local you are currently in. Otherwise the only way to do anything like that is to resign from your current position, then when you get to the new city, you re-apply as a new hire. If you are lucky enough to start driving right away, you go through training all over again to do the same job you were trained already for, turn in your uniforms and get new ones at the new center, AND you start at the bottom of the pay scale again. But this does not always apply to everywhere in the country, because different regions have different language in the contract supplementals regarding this. Some allow it, some dont. I had tried to do this for 6 months before moving from Boston to Texas, but was not it was not possible. So I just resigned. For such a big company, they can't even get something as simple as employee transfers right. Glad I left. No more dealing with the headaches that went along with the job. Even though I liked the job itself, I hated all the crap that comes with it. And this is a perfect example of that.

I wouldnt put the blame on the companys shoulders, its all on the union....and its mean to protect the pt preloader thats been waiting to drive for the last 8 yrs from getting passed up by joe blow from god knows where....id be pissed wouldnt you?

New Englander

I wouldnt put the blame on the companys shoulders, its all on the union....and its mean to protect the pt preloader thats been waiting to drive for the last 8 yrs from getting passed up by joe blow from god knows where....id be pissed wouldnt you?

Nope..it could be set up just like the outside to inside hire policy.

brownrodster

Nope..it could be set up just like the outside to inside hire policy.

It is set up exactly that way in the western region.

A sheet goes up once per year where you can write down 2 centers you wish to transfer too. every 6 new drivers a center can accept a transfer driver. So if you wait for that open spot and have the highest seniority you can pull off the transfer. I've never seen anyone successfully transfer away from my center.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It is set up exactly that way in the western region.

A sheet goes up once per year where you can write down 2 centers you wish to transfer too. every 6 new drivers a center can accept a transfer driver. So if you wait for that open spot and have the highest seniority you can pull off the transfer. I've never seen anyone successfully transfer away from my center.
Rodster, it can be done. We had 1 driver transfer out about 2 yrs ago.

Mike Hawk

My center has 2 drivers from different centers, although those centers that they came from are less than 100 miles away, different local though.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I just know if you transfer, you would need to sign up for a fulltime college courses. Thats something you don't have to continue.

...and people wonder why the company frowns upon transfers?

As much as it pains me, occasionally I agree with Nancy.

If the company is willing to accommodate a transfer on an individual basis, then why would you be adverse to reasonable terms?

rocket man

it is set up exactly that way in the western region.

A sheet goes up once per year where you can write down 2 centers you wish to transfer too. Every 6 new drivers a center can accept a transfer driver. So if you wait for that open spot and have the highest seniority you can pull off the transfer. I've never seen anyone successfully transfer away from my center.
what sheet goes up? Thats b.s

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If we were able to transfer, We'd have 40-year drivers all over Hawaii !!!!
It's not quite that simple. Transfers are within the Western Region and based on overall seniority for the Western Region. The contract has to be complied with which includes the inside/outside hire ratio. It is very difficult to get a transfer.