Transferring from California to Oregon

sandwich

The resident gearhead
it's extremely difficult. you can put in a request to transfer letter with HR. there has to be a need for drivers but that center must exhaust options to hire from within before they can go to a transfer list or hire from outside.

what they will suggest is that you quit your center and then reapply to the center in OREGON. Don't do that as there is no guarantee that they will hire you.

how many years do you have in? could you afford to start over?

the language is in your contract book.
negative. in the western region full time drivers can transfer within the western region. you just sign up and wait for the phone call.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i was in the western region. maybe you're right and the requirements have changed. we could only transfer within the DISTRICT on regular transfer. a "hardship" transfer may be a different story.

also, we had to have a letter of transfer request "on file" with the district office. that may have changed too.

I suggest the original poster confer with his BA for a definitive answer.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i was in the western region. maybe you're right and the requirements have changed. we could only transfer within the DISTRICT on regular transfer. a "hardship" transfer may be a different story.

also, we had to have a letter of transfer request "on file" with the district office. that may have changed too.

Or maybe you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

The western conference has long allowed transfers within the entire area.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
for instance. I'm on the transfer list to a building in washington state and I'm 6th on the list. the list is posted in my center. it's a benefit to being in the western region. every October they post a transfer bid sheet. you write your name and what building you wish to transfer to. they pull it in November then post the new transfer list in january.

Last edited:

sandwich

The resident gearhead

yes Brownslave is right. you don't know what your talking about.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes Brownslave is right. you don't know what your talking about.
i was just trying to be helpful from my own experience. i transferred from California to Nevada and that was my experience. ( right after strike )
EDIT

i had to put in a transfer request in writing to the district office and had to update it every year. it took several years before it was approved.

just like another poster mentioned it could be different even within the region with supplements and riders and what not.

the original poster should speak with their BA to get the right answer.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
this question comes up at least a month here.

there is language in the contract. however you have to be a lawyer to understand it. the best thing to do is speak to a driver who recently was transferred or speak with a union representative who has EXPERIENCE in transfers.

do not ask a UPS manager. they really don't know.

what do they say? no good turn goes unpunished.

unwatching this thread.

Man Of Brown

The hiring procedure in our center for new drivers is four inside hires, one transfer, one off the street. If no one wants to transfer then they do another inside hire. I would imagine other Western centers are the same.

Not all of Oregon is as crazy as Portland. Eastern Oregon is a bit more sane, rural, and green!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The hiring procedure in our center for new drivers is four inside hires, one transfer, one off the street. If no one wants to transfer then they do another inside hire. I would imagine other Western centers are the same.

Not all of Oregon is as crazy as Portland. Eastern Oregon is a bit more sane, rural, and green!
I thought it was 6 to 1 and the one was a pt sup, or outside hire/transfer

Orion inc.

I like turtles
i was just trying to be helpful from my own experience. i transferred from California to Nevada and that was my experience. ( right after strike )
EDIT

i had to put in a transfer request in writing to the district office and had to update it every year. it took several years before it was approved.

just like another poster mentioned it could be different even within the region with supplements and riders and what not.

Did you transfer before or after your 17 or 25 years with ups as a feeder driver??

The more you post, the more everyone sees you lie about everything.

You really should stop.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
EDIT

Apparently Northern California & Northern Nevada are not part of the Western Region Supplement (based on what I saw online-probably page 177 in the actual WR book). It looks like Northern California (with at least 1 NV based Local) has its own separate Supplement (again based on the PDF copies I read).

Transfers are getting more common. I've transferred 4 times and turned down 2. Know of about 25 others who have transferred. It seems that more people turn it down than accept them.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it's rough if work is not going with you. you lose your bid seniority and have to go to the bottom of the list. if you are only losing a short time and are moving to a lower cost of living area then not so bad.

when UPS was closing a lot of the small feeder centers it was rough because the work was moving to bigger hubs and a lot of those guys ( from small center ) had 20 or more years and the bumping was brutal.