Transferring stations

piggybank

To anyone that's transferred stations, what's the process like?

Does your manager do everything? Does there have to be an open position at the station you're transferring to or do they create one for you? Do you have to bid in JCATS? How long does the process take?

I'd ask my mgr but I don't want him to know I might be moving soon yet. Thanks.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Technically, you have to bid on an open position in JCATS. If you get the position they send you an offer letter, you sign and return it, and the managers take care of most of the rest, if not all of it.

In some cases a manager can work with HR and a manager at your hopefully new station if there's an opening to put you in that spot.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've done it multiple times. It's not hard. You can do it yourself. Just get on FedEx home page and enter JCATS2 in key word field. Once you get in, you can figure it out from there. Your manager has to verify that you meet all the requirements of the position, and approve it. Make sure you stay on your manager to be sure they approve it by midnight Friday.

It can be a slow process. You put in for position before it closes on Friday. Just because you might be number 2 or 3 doesn't mean you won't get a position. Some people put in for positions and change their minds. If you actually get a position, the hiring manager might call you the following week to ask if you want it. Then, they hopefully will send an offer letter within a week. Make sure you read the letter and understand what you're getting into, because you will be locking yourself into that station for a set time period. You have to return it within a week, I think. It will show the requested start date, however, your current station can hold you for up to 30 days. Good luck!

Last edited:

vantexan

And don't forget you can withdraw from the posting before you sign an offer letter, but once you sign you either have to take it or if you withdraw after signing you will be required to remain in present station another year before being eligible to bid again. You can literally withdraw up to the day before you are due at new station. Keep in mind also that if you are transferring into a fulltime opening it's highly likely that the route is so bad that no one local would touch it, even part-timers who want to go fulltime. I've transferred into some really heavy, stressful routes and believe me you don't get paid a cent more than the guys on cake routes. I transferred into some really scenic, interesting places and nothing ruins them faster than running like a dog all day every day.

overflowed

To anyone that's transferred stations, what's the process like?

Does your manager do everything? Does there have to be an open position at the station you're transferring to or do they create one for you? Do you have to bid in JCATS? How long does the process take?

I'd ask my mgr but I don't want him to know I might be moving soon yet. Thanks.
Are you a newish hire? You should ask your manager to show you how to look at positions in jcats. However, you would be very surprised the amount of people that don't even know how to look at jcats that have been around for many years.
Good luck in your quest to transfer. It's not hard just takes patience.

whenIgetthere

It can be slow, or it can be very quick. When I transferred, I was working in my new station 30 days after the JCATS opening closed. There was little stress involved in working at the new station, since it's the same job. The stressful part was selling the house and buying one in my new location.

starglacier

I hoped you not leaving a decent station to a horrible station. If I were you I would ask around to get some feed back. Ask questions about senior, ops managers. This is your lively hood ask!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I hoped you not leaving a decent station to a horrible station. If I were you I would ask around to get some feed back. Ask questions about senior, ops managers. This is your lively hood ask!

Sent using BrownCafe App
This is an excellent point. Do as much research as you can to try and ensure you're not going from frying pan to fire.
It's amazing the difference a few personalities can make in determining how tolerable your working conditions can be.

I've seen it happen too many times. Someone just wanting to relocate to a different location for one reason or another, only to outright quit a few months later because they absoluty couldn't get along with their new senior/manager/other employees/horrible route, etc. And then they're royally screwed.

Just beware.