Transferring

J

JonFrum

Hi!

I'm interested in applying for a Package Handler at my local facility, but they do not currently have any openings for the shift that I would like (due to school). There is another facility some 30 miles away which does have the shift I'm looking for.

Would it be possible to transfer later and retain seniority? If I want to pursue a driver position, would it be better for me to wait until an opening becomes available at my local facility?

Thanks for the advice! :happy2:

Sky,

If the other facility is within your Local, you can probably transfer without too much trouble.

Part-time Educational Transfers are available nationwide, as spelled out in the National Master Agreement:
Article 22 --- Part-Time Employees
Section 6. Part-Time Employee Transfer
Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following conditions:
A. A part-time opening exists at the desired location.
B. Employees must have attained seniority and been employed by the Employer for at least one (1) year.
C. Job Classification Seniority shall be end-tailed.
D. Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of holidays in accordance with the applicable Supplement at the new location.
E. Any expenses, including moving expenses associated with an approved transfer, shall be the responsibility of the employee.

Most Regional Supplements don't allow full-time transfers, but your Western Supplement does. There is about a page of rules governing the transfer. Here is an exerpt:
ARTICLE 6 - BIDDING AND JOB OPENINGS
SECTION 6 - TRANSFER REQUEST
. . . All fulltime package car drivers covered by this Agreement, with one (1) year seniority, shall have the right to transfer according to paragraphs (1) through (10) below. All full-time feeder drivers covered by this Agreement, with one (1) year seniority, shall have the right to transfer according to paragraph (11) below. . . .

View it all here . . .
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/parcel/2008UPSagreementandsupplements.htm

Jchimienti,

You can look up your Supplemental language there too.

mikestrek

mikestrek,

Thanks for your response. I worked in the aviation industry before, and you could transfer to another station, and keep your seniority. I guess it depends on whose perspectives one looks at! It sucks when a senior guy transfers to your station, but it's great for that guy who transfers.

Anyway, I do have another question. I realize the this must vary from facility to facility, but on average how long can one expect to stay part-time before being able to go full-time (as a loader?)

I suspect the wait to become a driver is even longer, and also based on seniority?

Thanks again!
I will tell you for myself, I started in 1984 as a morning pre-loader. It took me 4 1/2 years to go full-time. I can also say that every center is different. I have talked to some drivers in other centers and some have told me it only took them a couple of years and I have also talked to some that have told me it took them 10 years. based on most of my conversations with drivers from other centers. The average wait time to go full time was between 3 and 7 years.

If your young, get in now and time does fly. I started when I was 20 and I'll be able to retire when I turn 50.

Good Luck.

Mike Hawk

I have been at my center for a year and a half-ish, the next preloader up from me just went driving. When I turn 21 I will have the seniority to take the next FT opening, but if nobody retires/gets canned then I could wait years. One of the drivers I know waited 7 years, it can be a crapshoot. Stay in school and have a viable backup plan.

PS you can't got full time preloader, except in a few select hubs.

Arty S.

I transferred once, as a part timer, to my current hub because of school.

I am trying to determine the realities of transferring again, now as a full timer, likely back to my old hub, in the near future.

I am under the western supplement. Unfortunately, the list of hubs available for transfer in the last two listings have not included anywhere remotely near the area I am hoping to return to.

My business agent -- first time I've spoken to him since he's taken over the position -- was of minimal help, and my shop stewards don't seem to know much either.

What exactly are my choices if the western master transfer list doesn't have any hubs listed within hundreds of miles of my intended transfer location? My worthless B.A. said he'd call me back about this. Phone hasn't rung yet.