Transforming Smalls

Hubrat98

Anyone work where they have the new smalls spa label applicators? or the new c-bins with the camera scanner & L.E.D. bars?

I don't work on the preload so no spa labels on my sort, however, we do have he the camera system called NGSS (nest generation small sort). We call it "sort to light". It eliminates all the skill needed to be a proficient sorter. Also, it halves the number of baggers needed because they no longer need to check and scan the smalls they are bagging. One of the problems I see is that a good, skilled sorter in the old system could sort more pph than with the "sort to light" system.

GSO_Dave

...however, we do have the camera system called NGSS (next generation small sort). We call it "sort to light". It eliminates all the skill needed to be a proficient sorter. Also, it halves the number of baggers needed because they no longer need to check and scan the smalls they are bagging. One of the problems I see is that a good, skilled sorter in the old system could sort more pph than with the "sort to light" system.
We have the same "system", just installed. We also have "management" running around trying to make the employees meet a goal that MAY not be humanly possible/sustainable. I'm talking about "management" and their "attempt" to do the job for maybe one sort cycle (at their MAXIMUM effort), and then extrapolating that all the employees can perform that same effort over days/weeks/years.

Don't even get me started on the short-cuts "management" is doing, to "pad" the pph, by getting bags for the baggers, emptying over-size carts, etc. Or the (IMHO) fallacy of UPS being "broke". So broke, that the seasonal coupons were not given out, and that the company is too poor to pay for employees to do the jobs that management is doing to "pad" their numbers...

Oh, to stay on topic, LOTS of smalls are mis-handled at the operation at which I work.