Triples accident Winnemucca NV one dead and one critical injury.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you pay asking price for real estate?

Yes, if necessary. Ever hear of an escalator clause? Your analogy is a bad one because bargaining is inherent in the real estate process. You're not bargaining at all...you're offering a low wage on a take it or leave it basis.

P

prodriver

Ground is a business model that has an ultra-low cost basis. That translates into the hiring of drivers who are highly likely to not be as qualified as drivers not willing to work for low wages. That compromises both safety and the quality of service(s) provided.

All you and Fred understand is dollar signs. Loss of life is apparently acceptable, just so long as you and Fred still get your healthy cut of the profits. You are out of touch with the value of human life.

Do you think the safety record of ground is affected by the new generation of drivers?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you think the safety record of ground is affected by the new generation of drivers?

Definitely. The trucking industry is scrambling to fill seats, and the less you pay, the lower quality of driver you get. JB Hunt, Swift, and the rest are all competing for new drivers with marginal skills. Ground gets what is left over after the buzzard are finished.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wrong. Business is business.

Ah, the old excuse. "It's just business". BS. When people die or get maimed because your ethics are in the toilet, it isn't "just business". This is where you and Fred have apparently had a meeting of the minds. You both agree that low cost trumps everything else. It doesn't. Glad to see you have sold your soul to Fred's keeper. Shame on you for going the other way.

P

prodriver

Definitely. The trucking industry is scrambling to fill seats, and the less you pay, the lower quality of driver you get. JB Hunt, Swift, and the rest are all competing for new drivers with marginal skills. Ground gets what is left over after the buzzard are finished.

As barnyard said in an earlier post ground line haul is competitive so I don't think we are just getting left overs, on van drivers our growth is one of the issues with around 20% year over year growth and the new drivers are the biggest percentage having accidents. I am not making excuses for safety record just stating my humble opinion on root(part) of problem.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As barnyard said in an earlier post ground line haul is competitive so I don't think we are just getting left overs, on van drivers our growth is one of the issues with around 20% year over year growth and the new drivers are the biggest percentage having accidents. I am not making excuses for safety record just stating my humble opinion on root(part) of problem.

There are exceptions to every rule, but overall, Ground has marginal drivers. The reasons: low pay, and poor or no benefits. Lots of drivers fresh out of trucking school or with little experience. That's a recipe for getting people killed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"Greed is good."
-Gordon Gecko

"The end justifies the means."
-Machiavelli

"Let them eat cake!"
-MarieAntoinette

I think Sammy has gone over to the dark side. Too bad, because he used to have a conscience. Now...it's all about the $$$. Shame on you, Sammy.

bbsam

Staff member
"Greed is good."
-Gordon Gecko

"The end justifies the means."
-Machiavelli

"Let them eat cake!"
-MarieAntoinette
Would you like to reread the conversation MFE and I were having and then suggest what you are saying? I expect more out of you than this. "Business is business" was in reply to MFE suggesting that our industry and real estate are "apples and oranges". He would have you believe the Fedex and I don't care about safety and that as long as profits are high all is well. That is most certainly not the attitude held by myself or or the company.

barnyard

KTM rider
In my area, line haul contractors require either 1 or 2 years of experience (depending on the contractor) and pay starts at 45k/year. If you go to trucking forums, you will find that that kind of gig is what many drivers and wannabes are looking to get the experience to do.

Maybe in MFEs area, the contractors have relaxed their standards a bit. No matter, if you look at the numbers, ground still has a lower fatality and out of service rate than the national average, by a good bit, too. Add to the fact the huge number of power units owned by a huge number of different contractors and to me, that looks pretty darn good.

It is also very hard to compare those numbers with UPS as they have divided their fleet by divisions. I have heard that that is done on purpose as UPS is the largest trucking fleet in the nation, that their fleet sets the national average. I do not know that that is true, but is it had to know, as our fleet is divided.

P

prodriver

There are exceptions to every rule, but overall, Ground has marginal drivers. The reasons: low pay, and poor or no benefits. Lots of drivers fresh out of trucking school or with little experience. That's a recipe for getting people killed.

Ground requires experience in line haul as well as vans, as for pay do you know what line haul drivers/contractors make? We all know how much you despise ground which causes you to put a negative spin on everything about ground. You try to imply that we are all knuckle draggers which is simply not true as much as you want to believe it. Just because you want ground to fail doesn't mean it will, ground is doing just the opposite growing in double digit growth still. Don't be blind be real to what's going on.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ground requires experience in line haul as well as vans, as for pay do you know what line haul drivers/contractors make? We all know how much you despise ground which causes you to put a negative spin on everything about ground. You try to imply that we are all knuckle draggers which is simply not true as much as you want to believe it. Just because you want ground to fail doesn't mean it will, ground is doing just the opposite growing in double digit growth still. Don't be blind be real to what's going on.

Ground is doing really well, primarily because of the low wage/no benefit cost structure. How could they possibly not do well with that kind of scam? I regularly see Ground semi accidents or reports like the one that the OP was discussing in NV.

Ground always says in their ads that they want a year of experience, not in RVs etc, but does that mean they actually follow the guidelines? I see Ground stepvan drivers who obviously are not experienced in that size of vehicle, so what about Class A drivers? If Boris the contractor can get Oshwat the driver to run for 22 cents a mile or a low, flat rate for a run, what is keeping him from faking the "experience" and sticking Oshwat in the seat?

There are a lot of Ground wrecks, and a lot of fatals. If you go to the FMCSA site Barnyard, you can easily distinguish between the UPS opcos, just as you can with FedEx. Obviously, you haven't researched the site thoroughly.

P

prodriver

MFE I can't speak for other stations but the three I'm very familiar with follow all guidelines on the hiring process. People that have commercial driving experience still have to be "schooled" on the driving that couriers have to do on a daily basis. I wouldn't want Oshwat working for me if he (or she-oshwat?) didn't have experience that is putting a lot at risk to having someone not qualified (or qualified and incapable) driving.

White Line

As of right now it is required that a driver candidate has 1 year of tractor trailer experience to be considered for hire and to even get on the computer to do a CDAS for FEG and like barnyard pointed out the contractor can use his or her discretion when hiring and require more experience if they think it is necessary, the requirements for triples are a completely different story however, it is required that the driver attains 5 years of doubles experience in all four seasons of each year before he or she is even considered for a FEG triples course, I would also like to point out that the two individuals involved in this crash had a combined 80 years of overall driving experience between the two of them and both had fulfilled the required doubles experience set by FEG to transition to triples, driving experience was not the issue in this case.