Trolls - Same as it ever was

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seeing how I don't want to be accused of necroposting, I brought this back from the dead but it's the living dead because it still applies.
The Brown Cafe has not had many new trolls here lately but it is a good read.

I recently read an article about the psychology of internet trolls. To summarize: Like bullies, trolls feel alienated and want attention. The impersonal nature of the internet gives rise to this anti-social behavior.

So why do it? Why purposely find people who have a common interest and upset them? Like bullies, trolls feel alienated and want attention, says Rebekka Sommer, from the health psychology unit at the University of Technology, Sydney.

"If you're a troll, you're feeling fairly disconnected. Because you're not feeling OK, you go into a discussion group but you're not experiencing any sense of belonging, so you trivialise that sense of belonging and you feel better about yourself. It is a kind of power trip. It comes down to self-esteem."

"I can say something nasty because I don't have to look you in the face. If I don't have to look at you it's easier for me to be hurtful and it still serves my purpose which is to make what you're doing look silly and make me feel better about myself."

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
That is a good description of troll psychology. 2005? No wonder I forgot about that one.

gingerkat

May I please ask a serious question? Why is necroposting such a bad thing? Some folks hate a "new" thead that could be searched, but when an old thread is resurrected because of that reason, it's also a bad thing. What is the rule of thumb here? Time span?

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Go where you want to go, do what you want to do..........I don't care."

Remember those words from Alfalfa singing on Our Gang???

At the 1:21 mark...

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Necroposting.png

barnyard

KTM rider
May I please ask a serious question? Why is necroposting such a bad thing? Some folks hate a "new" thead that could be searched, but when an old thread is resurrected because of that reason, it's also a bad thing. What is the rule of thumb here? Time span?

To me, necroposting is bumping a really old post for no reason at all or to answer a question that was already answered. Many of those posters seem to like the sound of their own voice.

When I post about not searching before asking, it is almost always regarding a topic that is less than 2 pages from the front page. Currently, the topic that noobs cannot search for is back pay and what progression they will be under. Fer chrissakes. It is called google, use it.

There have been several noobs that bumped an old thread and added useful info or asked a followup. I gave those noobs mad props for searching appropriately.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is why I would like to see any threads one year or older which have been inactive for at least 6 months deleted. I would also like to see threads which have been inactive for at least a month moved to the archives where they would fall under the same criteria as outlined above.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is why I would like to see any threads one year or older which have been inactive for at least 6 months deleted. I would also like to see threads which have been inactive for at least a month moved to the archives where they would fall under the same criteria as outlined above.
I'm not sure if I agree.
I do try and put the year in the thread title if the subject reoccurs.