Troops get pizza & beer via DHL

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by yonnko, Jan 25, 2009.

1. yonnko

yonnko Member

A no alcohol ban is being lifted for the troops on superbowl sunday. The troops are getting free pizza and beer for the game. Goods are being shipped free via DHL. God bless the troops. Enjoy!!!! Although, I wish it UPS delivering.

2. Channahon

Channahon New Member

January 23, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Our fighting men and women in Iraq can expect a special treat from the Chicago area in the near future.
    Two local businesses are packing up plenty of beer and pizza and shipping it to the troops in the Middle East.
    'Pizzas 4 Patriots' is a non-profit organization with the mission of making a positive difference in the lives of our men and women - those patriots presently serving and our wounded veterans. It is their goal to provide our armed forces with gifts from home. The troops will be able to enjoy super bowl 43 drinking a beer and eating some Chicago pizzas.

Schlitz and local distributor Luis Glunz Beer, Inc. are sending a toast to our troops in Iraq for super bowl 43. Employees of the Lincolnwood distributor gathered in the warehouse to sign well wishes to our service men and women on a large banner and load up three pallets of Schlitz classic 1960's formula for delivery to bases in Iraq and Afghanistan.

3. dmv3368

dmv3368 The Machine

That's it! 3 Pallets.. What's that half a beer each!!

4. helenofcalifornia

helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

Wasn't it two DHL people that were assassinated in Iraq last year?

5. DownsizedUPS'er

DownsizedUPS'er missing my UPS family

and there you have it folks..... no good deed goes unpunished.

G-d bless our troops and may they enjoy the game, the beer and the pizza and have the time to relax. I think them everyday for what they do for our country.

6. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

It's Schlitz. They won't want more than half a can.

7. drewed

drewed Shankman

Its maybe 3 aircraft pallets each pallet holds 3 skids...i read a diff article wjere it saod it was just over 4000 beers to a single base.

8. old brown shoe

old brown shoe 30 year driver

Good PR for DHL. To bad we missed out on that one. Glad to see the troops getting a taste of home from home for the superbowl.

9. Paid-over-in-Maine

Paid-over-in-Maine 15 more years of this!

Ya, It's only cause they can't sell it!

10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I bet you bitched about the turkey coupon too, didn't you?

It is a gesture of appreciation for the sacrifice that these troops are making. They don't have to do anything and the troops would still do their jobs. I spent a year overseas and a gesture such as this would have been greatly appreciated.

11. sano

sano New Member

I asked my brother, who is in Iraq as a contract fire fighter, about this. He confirmed that a lot of different companies are donating beer. everyone on base gets 2 beers for the super bowl. Everyone except the fire fighters and other emergency personnel.

Sure is a well deserved break for all the men and women serving over there.

12. drewed

drewed Shankman

Theres a max they can put on the flight as well since beer is considered a hazmat.

13. old brown shoe

old brown shoe 30 year driver

Hazmat? Have you ever tried to light a beer on fire?:no_flames:

14. drewed

drewed Shankman

its gas under pressure

15. Channahon

Channahon New Member

I'm with you on that one. I didn't even know it was still available.

16. upsgrunt

upsgrunt Well-Known Member

The article said 1960's formula, maybe they meant leftover from 1960:happy2:

17. drewed

drewed Shankman

I read somewhere they stopped making it for awhile and just started producing it again

18. UpstateNYUPSer

Hopefully it is "new and improved" because it used to be "old and sucky".

19. 959Nanook

959Nanook Member

I recall the two beers we got for Super Bowl when I was in Iraq in 2005. In our case, the beer was donated by Anheuser-Busch. They were served in the dining facility over the course of two days for those of us who were unfortunate enough to be on duty during the airing of the Super Bowl.

I don't specifically recall how it worked for the contractors (or the military members under the age of 21 for that matter) but all the military units submitted an alpha roster to the assigned dining facility for that unit and you signed your name when you were issued your two beers.

20. UpstateNYUPSer

When I was active duty the drinking age on base was 18--has that changed?