Trouble ahead

Purple no more

I just read an article about how Amazon is going to be delivering their own product and cutting out third party vendor, FedEx and UPS. I wonder what the powers that be think about that?!

OUMick

I don't see how that is possible. At least not in the near future.

If the only way for Fedex to make money on ground is to have contractors, how will it benefit Amazon to hire their own fleet?

It will be fine

I don't see how that is possible. At least not in the near future.

If the only way for Fedex to make money on ground is to have contractors, how will it benefit Amazon to hire their own fleet?
They are using contractors too. Amazon has already moved their smaller volume to the post office. They might start delivering their own mid size boxes. They'll still keep their huge stuff in our system.
They've been on the way out for years. Overall ecommerce growth should continue to make up for the loss of Amazon volume.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Amazon offers free same day or next day shipping in 16 major citys. This service is free for Amazon Prime members on $35+ orders
This effectively already cuts out ups and fedex in most major markets

Here is a list of the included cities:

- New York City (including Northern New Jersey)
- Los Angeles
- Boston
- Philadelphia
- Baltimore
- Washington D.C.
- Atlanta
- Indianapolis
- Chicago
- Dallas
- Phoenix
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Seattle
- Orlando

Last edited:

dex 84

I think if they try to cover the whole United States with their own new network that they're in for a rude awakening. Major cities is one thing but if they want to have their own drivers delivering in every zip code in the nation it's going to get costly very fast and I think it'll be a major headache for them compared to just using the established networks.

Purple no more

There was rumors a couple of years ago about Amazon going out and buying a delivery company. And at one point FedEx was thought to be a target. That's why they did the stock buy back. I think that it could be a real threat to the company.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
They are utilizing an Uber/Lyft style of operations, dangling the promise of "$18-25 per hour" to those foolish enough to believe that that's possible. Conveniently omitted are the associated expenses of using your personal vehicle in a commercial endeavor, much less the personal liability factor. I believe they are counting on an endless supply of fools. They might be right.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Amazon will find out very quickly how much more of a headache running a delivery service is gonna be especially if they venture into rural America. The major cities are gonna be enough of a challenge.

barnyard

KTM rider
especially if they venture into rural America.

That is not their plan. Their operating plan is to deliver to major metros that have warehouses nearby.

The rude awakening is coming from mid size package companies that are not interested in handling Amazon volume as there is no profit in it. The regional based in my area has told them that they would carry their volume at their retail price list (which is higher than the deal they get through us.)

I doubt that Amazon will go away entirely for either UPS or FE. I suspect that volume growth from them will slow down and maybe even shrink in some markets (currently seeing some urban volume in our center going away but the rural volume is staying the same.)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That is not their plan. Their operating plan is to deliver to major metros that have warehouses nearby.

The rude awakening is coming from mid size package companies that are not interested in handling Amazon volume as there is no profit in it. The regional based in my area has told them that they would carry their volume at their retail price list (which is higher than the deal they get through us.)

I doubt that Amazon will go away entirely for either UPS or FE. I suspect that volume growth from them will slow down and maybe even shrink in some markets (currently seeing some urban volume in our center going away but the rural volume is staying the same.)

Amazon is notoriously cheap. Considering the fact that we move diapers and popcorn SDR in large amounts tells me that their FedEx discount is huge. Also, Amazon is never going to have drone delivery. All of the information coming out about near misses with aircraft and forthcoming FAA regulation will kill their program.

dezguy

I don't really see how this means trouble ahead. As it is now, FedEx and UPS are moving Amazon stuff for pennies per package, sometimes even stuff at a loss.

rod

Retired 22 years
I just read an article about how Amazon is going to be delivering their own product and cutting out third party vendor, FedEx and UPS. I wonder what the powers that be think about that?!

Don't fall for all that BS. The article was probably written by the same person who believes drivers will become obsolete and packages will be delivered by drones. Look around---where are the jet powered flying cars and hover boards predicted years ago?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center manager told us the other that Amazon accounts for 7% of our revenue. Imagine how much more it would be if not for the huge discount. Losing Amazon in its entirety would be disastrous.

bacha29

A while back Amazon said that their strategy included building warehouses in every shipping zone in the country so that they only had to pay for shipping in that one zone. If so it will be a very marginal box for who ever wants the business. Some of the things they are talking about might work in the metro areas but not out in the ching weeds.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Losing Amazon in its entirety would be disastrous.
I don't think so. The profit margin on that stuff isn't very good coupled with the fact that it's mostly residential deliveries we're talking about with many customers in the outlying areas where retail stores are few and far between.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think so. The profit margin on that stuff isn't very good coupled with the fact that it's mostly residential deliveries we're talking about with many customers in the outlying areas where retail stores are few and far between.

If there were no corresponding volume gain in other areas, our center would easily lose 3-4 routes, if not more, if amazon were to completely go away. We only run 23-28 runs on average per day.

ILuvPandas

In Massachusetts they have opened 2 of their own distribution centers & hired drivers (contracted)for like $100 bucks a day
Amazon has a bunch of job listings on indeed.com
Our Saturday volume has definitely gotten lighter & it seems P2 volume is going down during the week
I do a night route so it won't affect my regular pickups

dex 84

They are utilizing an Uber/Lyft style of operations, dangling the promise of "$18-25 per hour" to those foolish enough to believe that that's possible. Conveniently omitted are the associated expenses of using your personal vehicle in a commercial endeavor, much less the personal liability factor. I believe they are counting on an endless supply of fools. They might be right.

Just wait until this endless supply of fools start rushing around trying to make that $25/hour.