Trouble brewing in chicago!

brownman15

Finishing two threads here with little valid dialogue.

what reasons were given. what is the condition of the plan itself. why wouldn't your union review the finances behind the decision first before pushing the panic button again?

are there any federal laws in play that are forcing this action?

who administers the plan?[/QUOTE]

this an negotiated benefit ups never came 2 the union 2 re-negotiate this benefit. this was brought up during contract negotiations a few months ago and ups said there was no changes. now ups sends retires a letter that feb 1 your insurance is going up 600%

brownman15

I prefer to pay my bills, kids karate tuition, take them to the movies. The youngest's preschool and put food on the table while keeping the house warm.

Take your threat of strike and stick it somewhere.

ok so we let ups do whatever they want. soon there will not be any full-time jobs.

trickpony1

YEAH! That's the ticket. It's so much more cost effective to run part-time routes!

That's right, it is.
I was told by a division manager, right before he retired, that "......someday this whole operation will be part-time.".
Think about it.........
-sub contract the feeder work.
-Send PT'er #1 out at regular time in pkg car. Send Pt'er #2 out 4.5 hours later to finish the route.

I hope your kids value those karate lessons cause when dad's wages get cut to part-time wages there may be no more karate lessons.

BigBrownSanta

If the retiree's insurance premiums are going from $100 a month to $600 a month now, how much will it be in 10 or 20 years when we are all (hopefully) retired?

And, I sure hope I don't have to rely on New Englander's kids to stop the company from raising my premiums to $1200 - $1500 a month after I've retired.

Ptrunner

I agree with red that this does need immediate action. But I do think dropping the strike bomb is a little too quick. Strikeing is like a nuclear bomb. You dont always want to say strike because UPS sooner or later will learn the "fake strike button tactic".

The people who think this isn't a big deal should at least think about your signifcant other and what if you couldn't afford to get them the pills they needed to stay alive just because you didn't have a backbone to a company that manipulates their numbers and workers everyday.

were do u think the pension money goes. same with social security people that work now fund people that are retired.

My pension statements always add up to the total UPS puts in ($7.20 x 2080 hours for 2008) Our retiree's benefits are done through the local. They talked about switching plans but the plan they wanted to switch to didn't want the retirees. And the plan they wanted switch out of wouldn't keep them.

New Englander

If the retiree's insurance premiums are going from $100 a month to $600 a month now, how much will it be in 10 or 20 years when we are all (hopefully) retired?

And, I sure hope I don't have to rely on New Englander's kids to stop the company from raising my premiums to $1200 - $1500 a month after I've retired.

Perhaps you'll be smart enough to plan ahead and this won't be a worry. Then again....perhaps not.

tieguy

Banned
That's right, it is.
I was told by a division manager, right before he retired, that "......someday this whole operation will be part-time.".
Think about it.........
-sub contract the feeder work.
-Send PT'er #1 out at regular time in pkg car. Send Pt'er #2 out 4.5 hours later to finish the route.

I hope your kids value those karate lessons cause when dad's wages get cut to part-time wages there may be no more karate lessons.

There are places where part time routes would fit nicely but p/t feeders overall would not be cost effective. You're better off running that tractor for long periods of time with the least amount of turnarounds.

upsgrunt

If there were part time routes where 1 person went out for 4 or 5 hours and then another came and finished up, what would keep the first person from "laying down" and leaving most of the work for the second person?

trickpony1

There are places where part time routes would fit nicely but p/t feeders overall would not be cost effective. You're better off running that tractor for long periods of time with the least amount of turnarounds.

Maybe you didn't read the part of my post that said, "sub contract feeder work.".

That would mean a third party doing the feeder work thereby eliminating the current feeder dept.

Channahon

The teamsters have conferences all over the country, therefore, the retiree benefits differ across the county. Ideally, the retiree benefits would be the same across the board, but they are not.

Anyone who thinks UPS paid 6 billion to pull out of Central States, to provide benefits for UPS retirees only, which was in serious trouble financially, and is not trying to recoup some of the monies, doesn't understand the business world.

The comment was made by 705 Red, that this was not negotiated during the contract process. Unless he was part of the negotiating committee, how does he know that? Did 705 say that now that the increase has been sent out to the retirees?

Local 705 and 710 have always prided themselves on not being part of the National negotiations. Well maybe the negotiations were done on a National level with Hoffa and his staff, unbeknowst to the 705. It is a politcal world out there.

And if Local 705 feels a strike is in order, then UPS might as well pull out of the Chicagoland area, as this would be damaging not only to our customers, but our union employees, as well.

UPS and the Union have always negotiated in the best interest of both organizations, as both have responsiblities to the union workers.

There have been posts noting that active Union employees have better benefits than non union employees at UPS. As non union employees have to pay for their benefits. However, we have accrued DDB's ( defined dollar benefits) over the years for our retirement benefits. Depending on your length of service and what you accrued over the years, depends on what your retired benefits will cost you. So far, I have not met any retiree who has any out of pocket expense, except for co-pays.

So maybe it's time for the union retirees to pay for their benefits that they have received at minimal cost over the years?

Everyone should plan on paying for benefits, unless our new leader Barack Obama comes though with his campaign promise for affordable health care for every American, well then plan on your taxes going up. Tough world out there, times are a changing, and we're not living in our grandparents or parents world anymore. JMO